Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 04:55 AM   #1
cumins01

Name: cumins01
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Rule Changes???

I have heard that PPL is changing the rules again to 7800# and no bed floor/inner bed sides for the 2018 season. Has anyone else heard this? I wonder if everyone else will follow suit also. Don't want to lengthen my bed then have to go cut everything out when I can buy skins and make a frame.
Thanks

Old 11-01-2017, 05:34 AM   #2
prostockpuller

Name: prostockpuller
Member`s Gallery
True, No bed floor and 7800 lbs. Also maybe go to a spec fuel. That is what was agreed upon at the last meeting.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:19 AM   #3
jones95runner

Name: jones95runner
Member`s Gallery
For 3.0 limited pro? What about cab floors?

Old 11-01-2017, 06:24 AM   #4
pick017

Name: pick017
Title: ohio sled puller
Member`s Gallery
It is not set in stone yet. The options only have been proposed.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
cumins01

Name: cumins01
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostockpuller View Post
True, No bed floor and 7800 lbs. Also maybe go to a spec fuel. That is what was agreed upon at the last meeting.
Why a spec fuel? Wonder if BOB will follow this year as there are several close to me I would like to hit but rule didn't allow

Old 11-01-2017, 09:53 AM   #6
TCDiesel

Name: TCDiesel
Title: Home of the Gold Pumps
Member`s Gallery
Yes the fuel was Bought up, Along with the Bed and weight, I also spoke to the limited Pro members that was present on allowing our Head, the only negative I pick up on was the cost, I was only their to PROMOTE the option, Not to make a sales pitch....Does anyone believe that the rules that PPL enforces should be dictated by cost? So If TC sells you 1 set of D-Max, or Cummins head Once every 10 years this price is to High, Yes These heads are on tractors at present and some are 10+ years old, Yes They do need to be freshen up after many hooks some are over 100. These heads ARE NOT BILLET, they are made of ductile iron of two pieces.
1.) Head is factory Length
2.) Head is factory Width
3.) Head is factory Height
4.) Can use stock valve cover
5.) Can use stock Injector Body
6.) Can bolt stock accessories on such as alternator, and steering pump
7.) Can be produced with water jackets and used on a stock truck.
8.) Utilizes stock intake, and exhaust manifold bolt patterns.
9.)Material is cast ductile iron
10.) The heads visually resemble the factory heads.

Also some talk about scaling and dropping the weight X pounds and add the ice later to allow faster times at the ground pressure checker.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
97crewcab

Name: 97crewcab
Title: Wrong.
Member`s Gallery
Any reason why this class doesn't drop down to 7500lb or less? Other than inconviniece?
What is the average truck carrying for weight? 1500lb out front?
Was there any hitch discussion? I know there were at least 3 hitches that broke in this class this season and not one of the 3 stayed hooked to the sled. Not pointing fingers. I just know it looked scary for the drivers. Good thing they all had enough room to stop.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:07 AM   #8
TCDiesel

Member`s Gallery
I didn't hear of any, but if you have concerns NOW's the time to bring it PPL before the rule book go's to ink.

PS/SS talked about changing the pull off rules.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #9
pick017

Name: pick017
Title: ohio sled puller
Member`s Gallery
Spec fuel Is a joke imo. Who say a guy can't doctor it up too. Sounds like someone stands to make some coin from it, Especially if it doesn't have enough lubricants in it. As far as the weight goes sounds like we are trying to make a class for some certain trucks. If they want to drop the week down to 7800 lb that's fine. But we shouldn't be gutting the beds and cabs. If you want to do that there's a class for you it's called 3.6 and super stock. Just because it's the end of the year and we're looking at the rules doesn't mean we have to change them every year.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #10
prostockpuller

Name: prostockpuller
Member`s Gallery
Agree with not going with Spec fuel....a lot more expensive. Bed floors are a pain in the A$$ in my opinion. There is no reason to have them...makes it a lot easier to work on the hitch and rear driveline with out them. In my case what am I to do? Go to the local Yoder sawmill and have 9 ft oak wooden boards cut for an OEM bed floor?

Old 11-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #11
TheHammer

Name: TheHammer
Title: broke
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pick017 View Post
Spec fuel Is a joke imo. Who say a guy can't doctor it up too. Sounds like someone stands to make some coin from it, Especially if it doesn't have enough lubricants in it. As far as the weight goes sounds like we are trying to make a class for some certain trucks. If they want to drop the week down to 7800 lb that's fine. But we shouldn't be gutting the beds and cabs. If you want to do that there's a class for you it's called 3.6 and super stock. Just because it's the end of the year and we're looking at the rules doesn't mean we have to change them every year.
3.6 is on its way out.......the foundation is laid for only having one single charger odl class, and i'll be willing to bet that class fits neither of the existing turbos. spec fuel is a joke and allows plenty of room to cheat, there are some crafty dishonest mf's in and around this sport.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #12
tarter6bt

Name: tarter6bt
Title: broke ass
Member`s Gallery
I'm just watching this

94 dodge 3/4ton 4x4 5 spd. Built 2.5 motor

Old 11-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #13
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
spec fuel is a joke and allows plenty of room to cheat, there are some crafty dishonest mf's in and around this sport.
Where is the damn like button!!!!! Where would this sport be if people played by the rules set in place.

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 11-01-2017, 02:14 PM   #14
bigstacks95

Name: bigstacks95
Title: Diesel Doc
Member`s Gallery
I said it last night to a friend, the only way I'd allow a spec fuel in my class would be if they had a tech who inspected each one of our fuel tanks before every hook for residue, inspected our fuel cans, and dumped the fuel in himself. Even then it sucks. Most of us need to put lubricity additives in as well. Not to mention the shady MFers out there who would figure out a way to cheat anyways.

58 Dodge Power Wagon 3.0 Limited Pro Stock diesel pulling truck

2020 Ram 3500 HO/Aisin Laramie/night tow rig

Old 11-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #15
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pick017 View Post
What I have asked , mainly because my truck is gutted and on dots, is why don't they let the gutted trucks run at 77-7800 and the others run 8000 or let us add 2-300 pounds like the old 3.0 used to do.

I think the reason it gets brought up is there are some 3.6 guys that still love pulling but hate having to travel 20k miles a year for 10 hooks. But without building another truck they have no other choice.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #16
TCDiesel

Member`s Gallery
I have presented these Problems to league officials they seem to think that fighting over rules helps their league, when in reality it divides the owners, adds to the cost of pulling, and wastes precious time.

Some members mentioned that trucks that cannot contend pull last. Example a single Blower 4.1 or less pulling SS mixed in the crowd affects the track conditions, get 2-3 trucks doing this in row the next SS puller has some nice ground in front of those trucks to bite Because its not likely for them to reach SS territory, the Advantage go' to this puller that he/she would not have mixed in with the other SS power.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #17
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDiesel View Post
I have presented these Problems to league officials they seem to think that fighting over rules helps their league, when in reality it divides the owners, adds to the cost of pulling, and wastes precious time.

Some members mentioned that trucks that cannot contend pull last. Example a single Blower 4.1 or less pulling SS mixed in the crowd affects the track conditions, get 2-3 trucks doing this in row the next SS puller has some nice ground in front of those trucks to bite Because its not likely for them to reach SS territory, the Advantage go' to this puller that he/she would not have mixed in with the other SS power.

Only problem with that is most any 3.6 truck running with ss last year placed higher than the majority of ss trucks. I bet I could guess who made that comment. The same person that wrote a big rant on pulloff about the weights being off every pull and them having to remove weight at pulls cussed their trucks to hop.

Funny how every ppl hook I've been to our trucks are always within 20# and never see this issue.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:11 PM   #18
TCDiesel

Member`s Gallery
I missed 2/3 of the season do to a knee injury 2016 , but I seen it happen...Its going to be a problem, BC We are going to be pulling PS/SS unless I can get PPL to allow our Products in PS, The other owner does NOT want to Pull SS. Frankly I see his point, New owners, New driver to the PS / New Truck, New Power plant, that's a lot of unknown's to pull in that class (SS).

Old 11-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #19
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDiesel View Post
I missed 2/3 of the season do to a knee injury 2016 , but I seen it happen...Its going to be a problem, BC We are going to be pulling PS/SS unless I can get PPL to allow our Products in PS, The other owner does NOT want to Pull SS. Frankly I see his point, New owners, New driver to the PS / New Truck, New Power plant, that's a lot of unknown's to pull in that class (SS).
Oh I understand. But I'm leaning more towards running ss for this reason. More hooks, cheaper turbo, a single 4.1 of any brand makes enough power to complete. And can be bad very reasonable. Ss scares a lot of people, but at the end of the day the motors several guys are running in 3.0 smooth could compete in the ss class with $2000 turbo.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #20
TCDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Valid Point..... Yep those 4.1 on the tractors are proven in addition. You mean 3.6?

Closed Thread