4" or 5"? Muffler or straight?

03halfton

Got my new 6.7L truck today. What is everyone opinions on best exhaust sound with this engine. 4 or 5 inch? and straight pipe or muffler? what brand sounds the best?

I don't think you can really go wrong either way. I prefer running 4" back to the axle or so to keep velocity up and then 5" or larger from there

hmm...that would probably sound pretty good but i dont think anyone makes a kit like that. I have heard a few 5" exhausts on CRs and they sound deeper but i dont want it to be too loud or droan.

I have 4" with a hushpower muffler it is not bad but all the other mufflers I tried had a bad drone to them, a guy had 5" at a dyno day i went to it sounded deeper but i did not go for a ride to see if it droned oh yea lose the egr too it is a huge difference

I have the 5" turbo back and it does have a little drone at rpms around 2100-2300. If your looking for the same sound as a 5.9 you will be disappointed. You get more of a hissing kind of like a small jet engine because of the variable geo turbo, and it has 2 pre injection events so it is really quiet.
BTW. if you just straight pipe it by removing the muffler you will notice no difference as the puny little muffler is a straight through anyway. The DPF and 2 cats is what makes them quiet from the factory.

Back