Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Deployed Member Check In
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:52 PM   #21
2141pete

Name: 2141pete
Title: Hell I dont know
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fulmer View Post
Glad to do it and thank you for paying your taxes.

Jim
That's the same thing I always say when I get a thanks. The whole military thing just comes natural, it feels normal to me.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:53 PM   #22
2141pete

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for all the support though. It's good to here people like what we do.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #23
Dodgentwo

Name: Dodgentwo
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Thank you to everyone serving and fighting for us! I am trying to get everything worked out so I can join and fight for our country!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #24
yamt03

Name: yamt03
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I have always support our fighting men & woman before I enlisted,during, and after I got out. Like the MP motto says " Of the troops for the troops."

2005 Dodge 2500 4X4 Quad cab AFE Stg II, 4" MBRP, DiPricol pyro,boost &trans, BD XPower Plus

Old 03-18-2008, 09:22 PM   #25
Dodgentwo

Member`s Gallery
Anyone have advice for someone looking to enlist? Not exactly sure what branch I wanna go into yet. Any and all tips and advice very welcome.
Thanks,
Travis

Old 03-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #26
yamt03

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgentwo View Post
Anyone have advice for someone looking to enlist? Not exactly sure what branch I wanna go into yet. Any and all tips and advice very welcome.
Thanks,
Travis
That depends on what you want to do in the service. If you want to learn a job I would say the Army because they have more job available, if you want to go and blow stuff up/ learn how to kill I would say try the Marines,but all branches have that option.

2005 Dodge 2500 4X4 Quad cab AFE Stg II, 4" MBRP, DiPricol pyro,boost &trans, BD XPower Plus

Old 03-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #27
Tcolesanti

Name: Tcolesanti
Title: ALL NIGHTER
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamt03 View Post
That depends on what you want to do in the service. If you want to learn a job I would say the Army because they have more job available, if you want to go and blow stuff up/ learn how to kill I would say try the Marines,but all branches have that option.
I don't want to get in a pissing match, but I have to disagree with your statement. Take my job for instance, I am a Heavy Equipment Operator (EO) in the US Navy Seabees. In order for the Army to operate the wide array of equipment we do as EO's, they must utilize operator's with 3-4 different MOS's. I have seen this with other MOS's in the Army Engineer's as well.

All I have to say is look into every branch with a job you want to persue, already picked out in your head. Don't let a recruiter talk you into something you don't want to do, and for christ sakes, pick a job that will easily transfer to the civilian world, that way if you don't end up doing 20 years+ for whatever reason you will still hold the skill you learned in the military.

-Tom

https://www.facebook.com/AllNighterMotorports

Old 03-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #28
Dodgentwo

Member`s Gallery
Thank you guys for your input. I will keep everyone posted

Old 03-20-2008, 12:40 AM   #29
WYODodge

Name: WYODodge
Title: Politically Un-Correct
Member`s Gallery
Make the SMART DECISION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcolesanti View Post
All I have to say is look into every branch with a job you want to persue, already picked out in your head. Don't let a recruiter talk you into something you don't want to do, and for christ sakes, pick a job that will easily transfer to the civilian world, that way if you don't end up doing 20 years+ for whatever reason you will still hold the skill you learned in the military.

-Tom
Tom here is correct in every word written.

There are numerous reasons for doing your own research. This is where you have to narrow down the choices of whatever it is you would like to do. I reccomend identifying your Top 5 ideas(interests). Study those five thuroughly. Write down every good AND bad point about each one. Start comparing those five. Rank each choice on a scale of 1 - 5, 5 being best and 1 being worst. DO NOT let generalized "Official Job Descriptions" be your only source of research...dig deeper! Find people in the civilian world who hold jobs in your top 5 choices or their equivilent. Ask them the tough questions. For example: Is this field been worth the time you have put into it? Where do you see it going in the next 10 - 20 years. Is it becoming a 'dieing' career field? (example: flight engineers and navigators being replaced by technology)

Develop your own hard to answer questions. Take the answers in stride. Dont let bias be the decision maker or breaker.

The next big thing to consider is what branch. I am not going to tell you one is better than the other. However there are many obvious reasons to say " I want to join the ______ " simply based on how the service opporates. Land, Air, Sea.... (this is just an example > ) Personally I like water and boats..... but I just don't see myself living on one with hundreds or thousands of other people for 4 - 6 months or more at one time. That is just me though.

If you have a family, there is even more considerations that comes into play.

Overall I would hope you get the picture I am trying to paint.

After ten years of contribution, I have seen many people come into military service that just were not suited for this way of life. Others fit right in. Even more so i have seen scores of people that were not suited for the jobs they held. Only you and time will ultimately reveal this to be true or false in your case.

Last thing... if you hear the words "Open General," Run... Don't dont walk! This is the title given to all those (at least in the AF) who enter the service with no gauranteed job. All too many times this title is associated with jobs the service can not fill because no one wants them. Now having said that, this does not neccessarily mean this will happen to you if you choose to go ahead and sign. All i am saying here is be EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS. There are a lot of "silver tounged devils" in those offices trying deperately to meet or exceed their monthly or yearly assignments (recruiting goals set by each service).

If I were in your shoes right now, or could start over I would go Air Guard as a Pilot. (Personal preference)

Working Towards 450+ HP and 18MPG Towing 10K Simultaneously.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:46 AM   #30
Tcolesanti

Member`s Gallery
Well put WYODodge.

-Tom

Old 03-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #31
yamt03

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcolesanti View Post
I don't want to get in a pissing match, but I have to disagree with your statement. Take my job for instance, I am a Heavy Equipment Operator (EO) in the US Navy Seabees. In order for the Army to operate the wide array of equipment we do as EO's, they must utilize operator's with 3-4 different MOS's. I have seen this with other MOS's in the Army Engineer's as well.

-Tom
It's no pissing match here I just forgot about the Seabees, my bad. And the MOS thing your right, I have heard of that before and I think thats a bunch of chit. Theses guy & girls shouldn't have to have several MOS's just to be able to get one.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #32
malibu795

Name: malibu795
Title: 2wd numb nut
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamt03 View Post
It's no pissing match here I just forgot about the Seabees, my bad. And the MOS thing your right, I have heard of that before and I think thats a bunch of chit. Theses guy & girls shouldn't have to have several MOS's just to be able to get one.
x2 on that...

like boats and water dont forget the US Coast Guard.. and the VBSS teams.. (Vessel Baording Search and Seasure)

there are something i wish i had thought alittle longer about before signing..

and yeah ask about the jobbs.... out of some 7,000 members i am sure some as worked with or know somehting about it or can point you in the right direction....
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull sailor

Old 03-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #33
Dodgentwo

Member`s Gallery
I had considered the Guards, but the Benefits are not nearly as good as the full enlistment. Unless I am wrong on this?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:17 PM   #34
smoken250

Name: smoken250
Member`s Gallery

Old 03-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #35
JJeepyjohn

Name: JJeepyjohn
Title: Make Me Fries
Member`s Gallery
DMAX,
Thanks for posting that. I couldnt have said it better myself.
My oldest son is over there over their now. I love him and am very proud of him and think of him each day.
Police Interceptor Pkg.
1999 Dodge 2500 QC 2wd
COMPETITIONDIESEL.COM
1998 Ranger Interceptor 6BT
FIREPUNK Golden Nugget Competition Stage1
DPC Billet Triple Disc Converter

Old 03-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #36
DMAXcountry

Name: DMAXcountry
Title: Diesel and Gun Nut
Member`s Gallery
np... i mean everything i said

Old 03-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #37
2141pete

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgentwo View Post
Thanks,
Travis
I agree with all the above posts. DO YOUR RESEARCH. I tis a huge lifestyle change. Know what you want and go for that. When you walk in the recruiters office you are a civilian and have the right do do pretty much anything you want to. If they saya job is full tell them you will wait. If they tell you no it is now or never, wait a few days and thy will call. As the others have said there is no one particular service for everyone. I have had Marines under me that had no buissiness being Marines but got out and actually did quite well in the national guard. I have also had prior service members come into the Marine corps and do really great. I wont pressure anyone to do what they dont want it takes a special breed of person to do what we do. You will hear the Marines are the toughest baddest thing ever and the same about the Army, and the Navy. One thing to remember is either way you will probly eventually have the same outcome. 2 weeks with no shower, hungry ass hell and hurrying up to do nothing

Old 03-22-2008, 09:26 PM   #38
Dodgentwo

Member`s Gallery
Thanks guys. I appriciate any and all of your info. I am still up in there air a little, but am leaning toward the Navy. Or maybe air force. I want to do jet engine mechanics i believe. Ill keep everyone posted

Old 03-25-2008, 04:06 AM   #39
OM617

Name: OM617
Title: Banned
Member`s Gallery
One word for you, DON'T!

Don't waste your life for a worthless cause like Iraq.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #40
Tcolesanti

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OM617 View Post
One word for you, DON'T!

Don't waste your life for a worthless cause like Iraq.

Have you ever served?

-Tom

Closed Thread