A518 and 47RH

Tyleradair

So I am new to the forum. I have a 1990 Chevy with a 1993 Cummins drive train powering it. I have a fully built VE pump from II and a 62mm hybrid turbo from gillet diesel and 5x16 injectors from power driven diesel. I love my truck minus the A518 transmission. I have looked through the forums hard trying to find an definitive answer on if you can take a 2wd 47RH from behind a v10 gas truck and swap my overdrive unit and keep my passenger drop transfer case on the back side on the 47RH and get a new torque converter. Every thread I find it's just a bunch of people saying "build the a518" or "swap to nv4500" truth is I already have the 2wd 47RH and I want to make it work if at all possible any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just don't know if the tail shafts are different behind the 4wd and 2wd and if there is differences in the tail shaft of the A518 and 47RH and if they are different which I assume they might be how easy is it to swap tail shafts or whatever parts I need to swap to mate my 4wd a518 overdrive unit and transfer case to a 2wd 47RH :thankyou2:

I believe you can swap the O/D unit from the diesel 518 to the v-10 47RH.
By doing so, you not only gain 4wd, but also get the proper diesel governor weights.
Be aware that you may have to figure out how to shim the endplay properly between the O/D and the transmission.

You'll also need a torque converter for a 47rh or a 47/48re, as the V-10 ones have a higher stall speed.

There's also a slight difference in some spring tension on the valve body, as I recall.

Mark.

Thanks mark! I really appreciate the response. What are you referring to with shimming end play between the transmission and OD unit? Does it need like a spacer or something?

There are different thickness OD apply piston spacers that needs to be correct so the OD directs are released as the OD brake clutches are applied.

Back