Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #7901
Ram12vcummins

Name: Ram12vcummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRam96 View Post
I've been thinking about pulling the dash apart on my FLC to paint. But I'm afraid I'd never get the paint to stick to that old plastic. I've heard that there is a plastic primer that adheres to the plastic and will allow you to paint the dash without paint just flaking off. What truck are you talking of painting the dash? The red Pete?

As for the shoe conversation. If I had a relatively new truck that was clean inside to begin with I'd probably have to pairs of shoes. But then again floor mats work well if you're careful.

I painted the inside of my sled windshield black with krylon fusion spray bomb. And that has lots of flex I would try that stuff.

Show trucks can look good painted up but it's not my thing. I like the clean factory look. I see paint matching parts kinda cheesy. But to each his own. It can look good.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:51 AM   #7902
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
I won't hate on a guy but never would I have bought a c-13.
I also out of personal preference and stubbornness, could have never bought a 244" truck.

I do dig the color and I see potential for sure!
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO
Old 07-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #7903
rockytopcummins

Name: rockytopcummins
Member`s Gallery
Well the railroad put me on a little "involuntary vacation". Gonna be doin a little trailer truckin for a few weeks. Owner and myself will be putting 6" bull haulers on it this weekend before I hit the road. Not sure on all the specs, I do know it's got a 500 Detroit that's had a little love and 13 speed.

Click the image to open in full size.
4" turbo back/5" Aussies
Air Dog 150/150

Tow mirrors flipped up to piss you off

Last edited by rockytopcummins; 07-16-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:56 AM   #7904
mpeters0991

Name: mpeters0991
Member`s Gallery
Got furloughed huhhh? Been there done that. I was off for 13 months back in 08/09. Last I heard we had 1600 off system wide expecting 2200+ by winter.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:59 AM   #7905
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad View Post
Newest addition to the kern haulin fleet

06 379 C13/15 speed 3:55's 244" wheelbase weighing in at a mere 16,295 pounds. Didn't really want a c13 but for the miles and price I couldn't pass it up.
Sharp looking, throw a tune on it and you won't ever know it's not a big bore engine, and will likely embarrass a lot of the claimed 550hp trucks out there.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:29 AM   #7906
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post
I won't hate on a guy but never would I have bought a c-13.
I also out of personal preference and stubbornness, could have never bought a 244" truck.

I do dig the color and I see potential for sure!
Agreed. Not hating but those c13s....yum. We have to do an in frame on every c13 truck to get anybody to buy them. They WILL NOT buy it used as is. Some guys get along fine with them though. I imagine highway apps do a little better than a concrete truck that goes idle to full throttle all day long.

North American Turbo
Old 07-16-2015, 10:02 AM   #7907
tatersalad

Name: tatersalad
Member`s Gallery
Thanks fellas, again I'm not in love with the C13 however carries great oil pressure at idle and going down the road. It was a local grain hauler, been well cared for for sure.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #7908
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Member`s Gallery
What's every ones issues with a C13?
Old 07-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #7909
Chrisd91

Name: Chrisd91
Member`s Gallery
I'm going to guess emissions equipment?

95ish 2500 2wd shorty p.o.s.

'12 3500 SRW CCLB 4x4 golfball
Old 07-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #7910
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
The ability to scatter parts on command...

The c13 is great as long as you keep up with them and keep a close eye on oil pressure at idle. Michigan CAT does many of our overhauls and they said the oil pressure at idle can get down to 5 psi at times. Guys let them run all night at a truck stop in the winter with only 5 psi of pressure and you can guess where that goes.

In a truck that sees high amounts of cycling ie. trash truck, concrete truck, city driving, etc.. they simply have proven to scatter quite easily. We have customers who removed the compound turbo setup for a single and love them so maybe the compounds offer some sort of drive pressure issue on them?? Not sure on that.

They seem to eat rods and mains quite a lot and drop valves on a regular basis as well. It seems like an endless battle for us in the concrete truck world. Over the road guys seem to get along with them ALRIGHT at least.

Don't let me scare ya too hard tatersalad. They can be compared to a fairly more dependable version of the 6.0 They have their issues but if you keep an eye on them and take care they treat you alright.

North American Turbo
Old 07-16-2015, 02:44 PM   #7911
rockytopcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeters0991 View Post
Got furloughed huhhh? Been there done that. I was off for 13 months back in 08/09. Last I heard we had 1600 off system wide expecting 2200+ by winter.
Nope. Hit team got me. I'm not sure what y'all call them. From what I hear no other class one railroad runs it's employees off like CSX does but I swear I think they get off on it. For remote control jobs the rule clearly states as long as you can see the locomotive and have control of the box then it doesn't have to be tied down. Well according to them from their "perspective" I couldn't see it. So they hit me with not securing equipment. I got run off insurance though so it's all good.
4" turbo back/5" Aussies
Air Dog 150/150

Old 07-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #7912
mpeters0991

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytopcummins View Post
Nope. Hit team got me. I'm not sure what y'all call them. From what I hear no other class one railroad runs it's employees off like CSX does but I swear I think they get off on it. For remote control jobs the rule clearly states as long as you can see the locomotive and have control of the box then it doesn't have to be tied down. Well according to them from their "perspective" I couldn't see it. So they hit me with not securing equipment. I got run off insurance though so it's all good.
BNSF has hit teams as well and they do try to run us off but I've never had a problem (knock on wood).
That's a bull**** rule to fire someone on. Is it just a 15 day deal or is the union going to have to fight to get ya back?

While we are on the subject of remote control motors...... **** them lol, that is all.

Last edited by mpeters0991; 07-16-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #7913
rockytopcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeters0991 View Post
BNSF has hit teams as well and they do try to run us off but I've never had a problem (knock on wood).
That's a bull**** rule to fire someone on. Is it just a 15 day deal or is the union going to have to fight to get ya back?

While we are on the subject of remote control motors...... **** them lol, that is all.
No, they don't have to fight to get you back until you get to strike three. I've never seen anybody not get back after a year at the most though. Local chairman thought I was going to get 30 days but I only got 20. To tell you the truth I was a little disappointed. I feel like if you're gonna give it to me, let me have it all!!!! Gives me a little time to get back behind the wheel though, I'm excited about it. I've seriously thought about transferring to roadway a few times. Those guys don't even carry runoff insurance. They just go to to work and go home. Nobody messes with them.
4" turbo back/5" Aussies
Air Dog 150/150

Old 07-16-2015, 07:28 PM   #7914
mpeters0991

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytopcummins View Post
No, they don't have to fight to get you back until you get to strike three. I've never seen anybody not get back after a year at the most though. Local chairman thought I was going to get 30 days but I only got 20. To tell you the truth I was a little disappointed. I feel like if you're gonna give it to me, let me have it all!!!! Gives me a little time to get back behind the wheel though, I'm excited about it. I've seriously thought about transferring to roadway a few times. Those guys don't even carry runoff insurance. They just go to to work and go home. Nobody messes with them.
That's good at least. I'm sure it will be nice doing something a little different for a while.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #7915
97$moker

Name: 97$moker
Title: Hukt on fonix wurkt fr me
Member`s Gallery
Ive never worked in railroad so I dunno anything about anything. But what exactly happened? And what Is a "runoff" team, and runoff insurance?
Old 07-17-2015, 12:20 AM   #7916
tatersalad

Member`s Gallery
Thank you, yup cat uprated it to 470 for me. Next step will be a Single charger with tune and a EGR Delete from PDI or someone similar. But @ 7k installed for the kit. It'll need to prove its worth this fall before I do that. However it will get some bling sooner than later inside the cab and maybe a few more lights here n there. To me it's the best of both worlds @ 244". I can still maintain good ride quality while still having the ability to swing in small hate holes and do farm pick ups. Plus I love the color a lot.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:07 AM   #7917
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Turbos aren't the issue same as with the C15, once you get the IVAs disabled with a proper tune it pulls the pressure down and everything works great.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:11 AM   #7918
tatersalad

Member`s Gallery
What does IVA stand for? But thank you for the knowledge. Obviously I want to learn as much as possible about it.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:28 AM   #7919
tatersalad

Member`s Gallery
Intake Valve Actuator .... Duh ha don't mind me. Lack of sleep
Old 07-17-2015, 06:37 AM   #7920
rockytopcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97$moker View Post
Ive never worked in railroad so I dunno anything about anything. But what exactly happened? And what Is a "runoff" team, and runoff insurance?
People get "fired" all the time on the the railroad. We call it getting run off. It's getting terminated that you have to worry about. The amount of rules we have to comply with is unreal. I have to carry a three ring binder that consists of our rule book. Then you have bulletins and notices for the area you operate in and system wide they put out quarterly that you have to print and comply with. Basically it's IMPOSSIBLE to work a full day without breaking some kind of rule no matter how hard you try and it's designed to be that way. We even have a rule that states you must know and comply with all rules at all times.
Anyway, whenever somebody derails or tears something up the company's solution is to send a "hit team" to refocus everyone on safety and rules compliance. But, everyone is too worried about where these guys are hiding and it does just the opposite. The hit team is a group of managers from other terminals that show up with the sole purpose to write people up for any kind of rule violation they can find. So when you get written up the way the railroads discipline people is to fire you for however many day depending on the severity of the rule violation you were written up for. It can vary anywhere from three days to a year. Some are worse than others, what may get you fired at one railroad may get you run off whereas if you worked for someone else they may just talk to you and tell you not to do it again as long as it's not and FRA violation. CSX just loves to fire people I guess. We've got at least 25 people I know of in our terminal that are fired right now.
The insurance I was talking about most of us have is to cover us if we get fired. That way you don't go broke. You pay a monthly premium based on the amount of coverage just like any other insurance and if you get fired you get payed a daily amount for whatever number of days you don't work. Some guys I know carry as much as $500/day. So whatever you're covered for, that's how much they'll pay you every day you're fired. Sorry for the novel but takes a lot to explain all that.
4" turbo back/5" Aussies
Air Dog 150/150