Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling > 2WD Pullers
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #41
malibu795

Name: malibu795
Title: 2wd numb nut
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntryboy369 View Post
i was trying to be nice. i try not to ask people for their oponions, then be an @$$ to them. i couldnt figure out why you were talking about boggers and had a pic of a baja claw? just tryin' to makin sure you didnt end up with the wrong tire. the boggers are SOOOO much better.
more of a smartass comment hint hte smilie

i was tlaking about 2 different tires in said post
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull sailor

Old 12-19-2008, 09:53 AM   #42
2wpuller

Name: 2wpuller
Title: letting the smoke fly
Member`s Gallery
Can't we all just get alongJust giving everyone trouble.In a good mood the Doc told me yesterday that I can go back to wirk on Jan 5th but I have to gothrough a 3day testing for the compony shoulder still hurts like hell in certin positions I guese I'll find out if I can hack it.So that means a pay check after almost 4months.and start on the 2wd

All the snow and Ice is gone down here after all the rain we had last night and its still raining temp.is dropping going down to 30 this afternoon..freezing rain sucks.

Dale
Sponsors
GoerendTransmission
Haisley Machine
MCS MidwestPerformanceDiesel
ShowMePerformance
Snow Performance

Old 12-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #43
kuntryboy369

Name: kuntryboy369
Title: "That Guy"
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wpuller View Post
The boggers don't do much here in the midwest we don't pull in sand.If I remember rite BigBadDodge tride them and didn't work at Indy a couple of years ago.different tires for differnt parts of the contry in missouri we have alot of clay tracts.We pull in Missouri,Illinois,Indiana.

Dale
yeah digging in sand isnt good. id think they would do work on dirt or clay.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #44
kuntryboy369

Member`s Gallery
so back to my frist question.... what do i need to make a good puller? i have a 4x4 and a little diesel drag background. so im just about worthless at building a puller.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #45
kino_fab

Name: kino_fab
Title: KTPA Tech Official
Member`s Gallery
Double Disk cluch
About 500hp atleast to be competitive in a 2.6 class
Traction Bars
Rear adjustable suspension stops
front weight bracket
adjustable reece reciever hitch
A good set of All Terrain tires
Also another truck to use as a Daily Driver or to make into your puller. If you love your truck and enjoy its comfortablitly that it has now, do not Mod your truck for sled pulling. Especially if its the only thing you have to drive. I know you say you probably will only hook a couple of times, but it gets addicting fast. If I had it to do over agian, I would either buy another CR for a Daily Driver, or I would have never modded my truck and bought a 12V to build. Just be sure your willing to sacrafise all the nice stuff your truck has now and don't be affraid to break anything. Its not a matter of "If it happens" its "When it happens".

Tech Official for:
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:42 PM   #46
2wpuller

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kino_fab View Post
Double Disk cluch
Traction Bars
front weight bracket
Also another truck to use as a Daily Driver or to make into your puller. If you love your truck and enjoy its comfortablitly that it has now, do not Mod your truck for sled pulling. Especially if its the only thing you have to drive. I know you say you probably will only hook a couple of times, but it gets addicting fast. If I had it to do over agian, I would either buy another CR for a Daily Driver, or I would have never modded my truck and bought a 12V to build. Just be sure your willing to sacrafise all the nice stuff your truck has now and don't be affraid to break anything. Its not a matter of "If it happens" its "When it happens".
Well stated Kino deffently need another truck to drive once youstart pulling it hard to stop
don't forget about bigger injectors.Bigger turbo,bigger pump,bigger ujoints.Drive shaft sheilds.

Dale
Sponsors
GoerendTransmission
Haisley Machine
ShowMePerformance
Snow Performance

Old 12-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #47
kino_fab

Member`s Gallery
Why thank you........ I feel special now, lol.

Tech Official for:

Old 12-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #48
2wpuller

Member`s Gallery
It is that time of the year to let someone feel special after the holiday's it fair game HaHa

Dale
Sponsors
GoerendTransmission
Haisley Machine
ShowMePerformance
Snow Performance

Old 12-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #49
kuntryboy369

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Double Disk cluch
Traction Bars
front weight bracket
"...Just be sure your willing to sacrafise all the nice stuff your truck has now and don't be affraid to break anything. Its not a matter of "If it happens" its "When it happens"."

thats my motto for wheelin. i acutaly bought my dodge, so i can make my yota into a wheeler, (then the diesel bug bit me) so i know how that goes.
do i need that kevlar flywheel cover? can i run twins in that class? i have some turbos options sitting in my closet waiting on a DD clutch.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #50
kuntryboy369

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wpuller View Post
Well stated Kino deffently need another truck to drive once youstart pulling it hard to stop
don't forget about bigger injectors.Bigger turbo,bigger pump,bigger ujoints.Drive shaft sheilds.

Dale
once i get my injectors, injector tubes, turbo(s) and clutch i plan on 600hp. so it sounds like all i need to do is put it to the ground, and keep it there.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #51
kino_fab

Member`s Gallery
There are many different combo's out there. Ask around to some of the local pullers in your area and see what Classes they have. Your best bet would be to start out in a smaller class. A good combo that I have seen work around here is a 62/71/14 S300 turbo, ATS Manifold or similar, Blue Chip Redline Box, 200hp injectors, water-meth kit. You will defenatly want to Stud the head and possibly fire ring it. Valve springs would be a good bit of Insurance aswell. As for a double Disk clutch you will need to get atleast a 3850 or 4200. Anything less than that will not last long on the track. Is your truck a Cummins H.O. or Standard (6spd or 5spd). If it is a H.O. truck, you will want to swap the injector pump for a S.O. pump or a HRVP. The H.O pumps will limit your HP quite a bit. I have seen 100+hp gains just by going with a S.O. pump.

The turbo I mentioned is a 2.5 legal turbo. and it will still allow the truck to be a good daily driver. But if you get another truck to drive and make this one into a full time puller, I would give Chris at Empire Diesel a call and have him build you a S465. You can still drive it on the street, but it will be very laggy. The S465 is 2.6 legal and depending on who machine the inspection plugs at the pulls you go to, it may possibly be 2.5 legal.

If your truck is a 6spd with 3.54 gears, you don't need to change any gearing. Run 4th Low and a good set of 33" All Terrain Tires. Some places you go to may have a good high speed sled and a good track so you may be able to run 2nd high. Just be carful in 2nd high with the 6spd. I have seen many Main Shafts break in side the tranny, including my truck. If its a 5spd run 3rd low. If you have 4.10 gears with a 5spd, you may be able to run 2nd high aswell but it will have to be on a real high speed sled.

Hope this helps

Tech Official for:

Old 12-22-2008, 02:09 AM   #52
kino_fab

Member`s Gallery
wooopppssss, sry I ment call chris at ENGINEERED DIESEL, not empire, lol. Sorry Chris.

Tech Official for:

Old 12-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #53
2wpuller

Member`s Gallery
I don't think Chris is going to spank you for a mistakelike but if you do it again he might breack out the big paddle with the holes in it.
Well I have to go out in the garage and start takeing out my clutch in my old ford one of the clutch disk center is comming apart bad vibration 12deg outside 72 inside and have alot more ather things to do on the old girl.You guy's try to stay warm.
Dale
Sponsors
GoerendTransmission
Haisley Machine
ShowMePerformance
Snow Performance

Old 12-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #54
kuntryboy369

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
There are many different combo's out there. Ask around to some of the local pullers in your area and see what Classes they have. Your best bet would be to start out in a smaller class. A good combo that I have seen work around here is a 62/71/14 S300 turbo, ATS Manifold or similar, Blue Chip Redline Box, 200hp injectors, water-meth kit. You will defenatly want to Stud the head and possibly fire ring it. Valve springs would be a good bit of Insurance aswell. As for a double Disk clutch you will need to get atleast a 3850 or 4200. Anything less than that will not last long on the track. Is your truck a Cummins H.O. or Standard (6spd or 5spd). If it is a H.O. truck, you will want to swap the injector pump for a S.O. pump or a HRVP. The H.O pumps will limit your HP quite a bit. I have seen 100+hp gains just by going with a S.O. pump.

The turbo I mentioned is a 2.5 legal turbo. and it will still allow the truck to be a good daily driver. But if you get another truck to drive and make this one into a full time puller, I would give Chris at Empire Diesel a call and have him build you a S465. You can still drive it on the street, but it will be very laggy. The S465 is 2.6 legal and depending on who machine the inspection plugs at the pulls you go to, it may possibly be 2.5 legal.

If your truck is a 6spd with 3.54 gears, you don't need to change any gearing. Run 4th Low and a good set of 33" All Terrain Tires. Some places you go to may have a good high speed sled and a good track so you may be able to run 2nd high. Just be carful in 2nd high with the 6spd. I have seen many Main Shafts break in side the tranny, including my truck. If its a 5spd run 3rd low. If you have 4.10 gears with a 5spd, you may be able to run 2nd high aswell but it will have to be on a real high speed sled.

Hope this helps
i have a 5 speed, so when i do the clutch im getting the flywheel and imput shaft too. after the clutch im throwing 3.54 gears and a detroit locker out back. do the tires have to be street legal? and why all-terrain and not like boggers or bgf krawlers or somthing like that?
i can get my hands on some huge turbos. i have a hx40m over a ht3b in my closet. (if that dosnt work then im going stupid with it.)

Old 12-25-2008, 02:21 AM   #55
kino_fab

Member`s Gallery
Most organizations and even brush pulls for that matter do not allow any type of a twins setup. Ask around your area about the turbo rules first. Also bigger isn't always best. A bigger turbo will also require alot more RPM to keep it spooled. With the VP trucks being limited to 4K RPM with a Redline Box or Quadzilla Adrenilan, to big of a turbo will choke out.

I take it your truck has 4.10's since you say your changing them. I personally would leave them alone and run 2nd high with stock size tires, though if you go with the 3.54's, run 3rd low and 35" tire. Go a few post back and you will see our discussion on why All Terrains are better at most tracks. Basically boggers and crawlers dig way too much. You want something that will stay on top of the ground more than something that digs ditches. Most places also require the tires to be street legal only and no cut tires.

Tech Official for:

Old 12-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #56
kuntryboy369

Member`s Gallery
got ya. well i have some huge turbo ideas in the pipeline. the only bad thing is they will be set up for drag ... a cam will help spool a big turbo i assume? and will i need headwork (springs, keepers, studs, o-ring) to keep her together at 4k?

Old 12-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #57
kino_fab

Member`s Gallery
All of that will be a big help. Contact Bill Fletcher on a cam. I believe Fireman450 has his #.

Tech Official for:

Old 12-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #58
2wpuller

Member`s Gallery
hope you all got what you wanted from santa.
Dale
Sponsors
GoerendTransmission
Haisley Machine
ShowMePerformance
Snow Performance

Old 01-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #59
kuntryboy369

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
All of that will be a big help. Contact Bill Fletcher on a cam. I believe Fireman450 has his #.
is there much difference in a 2wd puller and a dragster?

Old 01-07-2009, 04:19 AM   #60
kino_fab

Member`s Gallery
Depends on what exactly that your asking. As for suspension setup, they are actually pretty similar. There is an article on the internet called "How to launch a drag car". It has alot of tips and information on seting up a drag race suspension. Not nessesarliy the overall design of a suspension, but more about mounting points, center of gravity, wieght transfer, ect.... I used it quite a bit helping my Mustang and Camaro buddies at the drag strips, and since then used it on our 2wd gasser and my 4x4 dually. It all seems to work about the same. Some of it even went into the design of Lynn's 2wd Diesel. Check it out. Google that title and it may bring it up.

Tech Official for:

Closed Thread