Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #21
turbo2387

Name: turbo2387
Title: Nipple Fluffer
Member`s Gallery
I don't want to veer this off of the 1/8 thing but. the dang hobby has gotten extremely expensive to hobby in and off the charts to even try to build something to compete with. if you don't have young poor kids with big dreams interested in whatever your promoting then you just have old guys screwing around until they give up. young poor people need to be able to compete. old diesel trucks still hold a huge price tag (10k for a pile of CHIT) and new trucks cost more than most peoples houses. This is all before you attempt to play in a particular area of the hobby. dyno, strip, pulls or just enjoying a nice street truck. 10 years ago everyone wanted a diesel. now everyone opts for a gasser. not everyone can have sponsor's and not everyone can be competitive, but its important to keep the non competitive crowd interested and vested in it or you eventually have nothing.

events need max hp limits not weight and length and times and all that other garbage. if you set up classes that max hp to 400hp then the driver has to be good the truck can be built for a couple grand and they own a competitive toy.

if the rules state 5k lbs no faster than 9 seconds than the only thing that limits the class is the money people have to spend in it. which runs EVERYONE away because face it... most of us don't have the cash to be competitive in the 1500hp range

end concern is if the sport/hobby continues to become more out of financial reach for competitors and the spectators it will die.

something else... CHEAP FUN is what matters. Scheids Extravaganza use to cost $10 per truckload of people within legal limits. last I went it was $20 per person. that's a bummer for a spectator. the UCC neat as it was good money for a ticket just to get in the doors. people want stuff to do but so often than not the price to get in turns the masses away.

Last edited by turbo2387; 12-06-2017 at 01:31 PM.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #22
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2387 View Post
I don't want to veer this off of the 1/8 thing but. the dang hobby has gotten extremely expensive to hobby in and off the charts to even try to build something to compete with. if you don't have young poor kids with big dreams interested in whatever your promoting then you just have old guys screwing around until they give up. young poor people need to be able to compete. old diesel trucks still hold a huge price tag (10k for a pile of CHIT) and new trucks cost more than most peoples houses. This is all before you attempt to play in a particular area of the hobby. dyno, strip, pulls or just enjoying a nice street truck. 10 years ago everyone wanted a diesel. now everyone opts for a gasser. not everyone can have sponsor's and not everyone can be competitive, but its important to keep the non competitive crowd interested and vested in it or you eventually have nothing.

events need max hp limits not weight and length and times and all that other garbage. if you set up classes that max hp to 400hp then the driver has to be good the truck can be built for a couple grand and they own a competitive toy.

if the rules state 5k lbs no faster than 9 seconds than the only thing that limits the class is the money people have to spend in it. which runs EVERYONE away because face it... most of us don't have the cash to be competitive in the 1500hp range

end concern is if the sport/hobby continues to become more out of financial reach for competitors and the spectators it will die.

something else... CHEAP FUN is what matters. Scheids Extravaganza use to cost $10 per truckload of people within legal limits. last I went it was $20 per person. that's a bummer for a spectator. the UCC neat as it was good money for a ticket just to get in the doors. people want stuff to do but so often than not the price to get in turns the masses away.
There is "Cheap" racing at virtually every event I go to, it is called Bracket Racing... It doesn't matter if you run 20-second ET or 10-second ET you still have a good chance of winning if you can cut a light and your truck (or car) is consistent...

The top classes need to remain virtually unlimited as that is where the excitement is... The stands are full to watch the Scheid Rail and Pro Street/Pro Mod competitors not bracket classes.

As for entry fees, that is above my pay grade, but I will say that people are still paying it, but maybe they could draw even more with a lower entry fee...

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #23
Woosley

Name: Woosley
Title: Barely was has been
Member`s Gallery
Index classes are the easiest way to limit vehicles, and separate into affordable classes, that can realistically be monitored.. It doesn't matter what weight, or what power, as long as you can run X time and cross the line first.
Firepunk Diesel
D&J Precision Machine
Exergy Performance
Diesel Performance Converters

Old 12-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #24
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
NHRDA going 1/8 mile for Super and Pro Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2387 View Post

I run the 6.70 index and have a blast with a stock rod cast piston 12v. It doesn't get much cheaper then that. Truck cost me 2k rust free. You should try racing ET with a. Truck. You would surprised how tough it is

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:32 AM   #25
Cflanery88

Name: Cflanery88
Member`s Gallery
I just wanna go fast!!!!!
06 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L, Wagler +.080 rods, Hobbit tuned, Exergy150% injectors,Polished s475/87 1:0 A/R Engineered Turbo Billet Wheel,arp625s,14mm main studs,PPE dual fuelers,Hamilton 188/220,extreme pushrods,Fleece bypass/drains/distribution block,110#springs.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #26
Ryan Tucker

Name: Ryan Tucker
Title: Do it Dont talk about it.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMONEYDIESEL View Post
There’s a couple trucks cutting some really good 60ft times now, but they will get better now.
Maybe so but for the majority it's always been very poor and I've never understood why. We have massive torque advantage over the gas crowd which can Really be applied well in the first 60 if everything's in place. He'll I was consistent 1.32 60s 10 years ago at 4500# and I made nothing for power maybe 1k. So comparably I don't see how these 1500 plus hp trucks are mostly still stuck in the 1.40s or worse. In the 1/4 you have some room to make that top end charge and drive around some but lots less of that in the 1/8. When I went to the Altered with the same power level I was consistent 1.09 back then with others with twice the power were stuck in the high teens, being 1/8 I hope to see people regear and make them grind through the traps, that starting line gear advantage with massive torque should really help the bulk of the PS guys. I'd like to see mid 1.20s at 4500#, that will be very impresive. And .99x for TD

Last edited by Ryan Tucker; 12-07-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #27
DIESEL_POWER

Name: DIESEL_POWER
Title: NGM Diesel
Member`s Gallery
All pro classes should be 8th mile...especially the top classes.

We 60ft 1.07 in our truck before we crashed it and have gone 1.02 with the dragster....hope to go sub 1.0 next year. Its mostly a power control thing, too much or not enough can slow you down.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #28
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESEL_POWER View Post
All pro classes should be 8th mile...especially the top classes.

We 60ft 1.07 in our truck before we crashed it and have gone 1.02 with the dragster....hope to go sub 1.0 next year. Its mostly a power control thing, too much or not enough can slow you down.

Dragster shouldn't. I wanna see dragster in the 1/4. They are 100% built for it

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #29
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
Absolutely, esp a 300" car.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:20 PM   #30
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post

Yep I do not see a single reason that isn't self serving to not run them out.
Only reason I can see a rail wanting a short track is they can't back half like others can.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #31
DIESEL_POWER

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Actually any vehicle with the proper equipment and the sfi cert is 100% built for it.

But that dosent mean it is 100% safe....dragsters are among the most crashed in the pro classes....just a simple hour of nhra will show you that.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #32
DIESEL_POWER

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
Who has a 300" rail?

Old 12-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #33
DIESEL_POWER

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yep I do not see a single reason that isn't self serving to not run them out.
Only reason I can see a rail wanting a short track is they can't back half like others can.

Lol, or because 8th mile requiers better driver skills. Back half means zilch, ET wins races

Old 12-09-2017, 08:41 PM   #34
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Actually any vehicle with the proper equipment and the sfi cert is 100% built for it.

But that dosent mean it is 100% safe....dragsters are among the most crashed in the pro classes....just a simple hour of nhra will show you that.

Your right. 6000 pounds is meant to go 170.
What is your reason for not wanting to run it? Safety is not a reason. Safest diesels racing right now.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #35
2Tone12V

Name: 2Tone12V
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Thats not even close to true... Maybe its 100% built to get the sticker required. That sticker doesn't mean squat if a super street trucks thats 6000 lbs wrecks doing 160-170 mph.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:22 PM   #36
Ryan Tucker

Name: Ryan Tucker
Title: Do it Dont talk about it.
Member`s Gallery
Saftey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tone12V View Post
Thats not even close to true... Maybe its 100% built to get the sticker required. That sticker doesn't mean squat if a super street trucks thats 6000 lbs wrecks doing 160-170 mph.

You betcha, that much weight at speed = death in my opinion possibibly even if up to spec in more cases than not. To most people it's just easy to say words, I've been there. Last September I flipped my (Avatar pic) Datsun 260Z end over end 12 to 15 times at over 150mph, 1/8 mile 5.00 index race. A drunk driver took me out just after the stripe, I was reaching for the chutes when the drunk prick darted over in my lane and knocked me off the track. I jumped his 8ft wheelie bars sending me straight up coming down right on the nose then end over end another dozen or so times. From where I left the track car finally stopped close to 300 yards out in a hay meadow.

Point is be Safe guys! Safe as possible anyways.

It's Really put a Lot of Hate in my heart for people drinking at the track. Save that stupid **** for home. It's a GD race not a party
Ryan

Last edited by Ryan Tucker; 12-14-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #37
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Tucker View Post
You betcha, that much weight at speed = death in my opinion possibibly even if up to spec in more cases than not. To most people it's just easy to say words, I've been there. Last September I flipped my (Avatar pic) Datsun 260Z end over end 12 to 15 times at over 150mph, 1/8 mile 5.00 index race. A drunk driver took me out just after the stripe, I was reaching for the chutes when the drunk prick darted over in my lane and knocked me off the track. I jumped his 8ft wheelie bars sending me straight up coming down right on the nose then end over end another dozen or so times. From where I left the track car finally stopped close to 300 yards out in a hay meadow.

It's Really put a Lot of Hate in my heart for people drinking at the track. Save that stupid **** for home. It's a GD race not a party
Ryan
Should be a zero tolerance policy at ALL motorsports events, even the "redneck" sledpulls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Old 12-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #38
HSM-Zane

Name: HSM-Zane
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Who has a 300" rail?
I do

Old 12-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #39
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
drag racing is 1/4 mi....

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 12-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #40
Subman631

Name: Subman631
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Tucker View Post

Ryan
Damn Ryan was that before your surgery or after? What if anything did it do to you injury wise? How in the hell did a drunk driver get on the track? He should be banned for life. I always worry about that, the other guy coming over in my lane and taking me out.

Closed Thread