Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Hammer

Name: Hammer
Title: Verbal Junk Author
Member`s Gallery
Flex-A-Lite 262 Fan Installed....

Today a good friend and I tackled the install on my Flex-A-Lite 262 fan and shroud.Scot did all the hard work and for that I owe him a HUGE THANK YOU!.I must say the install of the hard parts went as slick as could be and we didn't even need to remove the upper radiator hose as they recommended.The hardest part was the factory fan removal because when it was recently off the shop reinstalled it and man it was tight.Scot held the fan pulley and got a big wrench on the fan nut and it finally gave way to him and off we went with the rest of the install.

The hardest part of the entire install was the wiring of the controller.It was time consuming and to be done neatly we took most of the afternoon to run the wires.IF I had given it some more thought I would have relocated the controller and made its access a tad easier,but,we wanted to see what we got and left it alone.Once the wires were fished to the cab interior for the 12v keyed hot and the fan on switch(which I will install when my panel comes in) we had it done.

The first run was smooth and when the temp reached about 180 they came on at 60% and then at 190 they came on 100% and the temp dropped very quickly.When you turn the A/C on they come on at 60% and then level off as they are needed.Remember on my truck the instructions do not tell you which wire on the A/C switch to tap and we figured out it was the blue wire.

You also may want to change out your serpentine belt at this time also as its easy to get to.I realized last nite what a PIA it is to change one with a Fluidampr on as you have to loosen the factory tach relocation baracket to get the belt off.It was easy with nothing in the way from the top and we didn't have to lay on the ground and hang like a moneky to do it,.I used the Goodyear Gatorback this time which was purchased at Autozone.

I have yet to drive it a long way other than to home as my knees were sore and I was exhausted.I will chime in as the week goes on while I drive it locally with how they work.THANKS SCOT for all the help.........Andy

Here are the pics for the job...
http://picasaweb.google.com/MDTDCTDR...anInstallation

Old 06-11-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
RacinDuallie

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Member`s Gallery
This looks and sounds good Hammer, keep us updated on the benifits you see...

Old 06-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
wrongway

Name: wrongway
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Sweet write up, keep me posted. I am looking @ doing the same thing. Gary

Old 06-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
SuperDave4x4

Name: SuperDave4x4
Title: popcorn playa
Member`s Gallery
Very nice! How about the power? Could you tell that the electric fans freed up any over the stock one? or have you not driven it enough to notice. They sure look slick I can tell you that!

(Sold)1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 24v CTD Ext. Cab- 01' motor w/ orings, .020 gasket, Garmon/SunCoast, Drag comp, 150hp EDMs, 57/72 twins, AD150, 20" Hoss, Proxes STII, Thuren/Carli, etc

Member #41

Old 06-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
Hammer

Member`s Gallery
Dave..
Not sure on the addition of any power,however,I have scheduled another rip on the local jet to redo my baseline before any other changes are made.I drove them around all day today in the mid 80 degree heat in traffic to see how they acted and was very pleased to see them cycle and keep her cool.

One thing I did notice right away was how quiet the motor has gotten and how much easier it winds up.It seems alot smoother also when your running through town and at an idle.I filled up today also and will see what affect they have on fuel milage as Flex-A-Lite claims a lofty 27hp and 6% fuel milage gain.Fuel milage will be checked with this tank and their HP gain theory will be tested when we restrap her to "The Humbler" next week.

For now I am very satisfied and will keep all informed here on my gains or losses with them.....Andy

Old 06-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
WAYNES WORLD

Name: WAYNES WORLD
Member`s Gallery
Flex-A-Lite 262 Fan Installed....

Hammer,

I want to congratulate you on this project.

I was debating that same idea.

I'm very interested in if it will make it easier to work on the truck.
Your results will be a big influence on the purchase as well.

Can anyone tell me if the make a front pusher fan assembly?
Just a thought,

WAYNES WORLD

Old 06-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
SKYNYRD

Name: SKYNYRD
Title: "Drunkard"
Member`s Gallery
i was thinking about replacing mine as well, but e-mailed flex-lite and they don't make a kit for the 3rd gens yet. let me know how it does when towing??
01 & 03 VW Golf TDI
05 rcsb 2wd (in progress)
ROSKOE115: "It's ain't avatar material but I'd hit it!"

Old 06-11-2007, 10:09 PM   #8
joefarmer

Name: joefarmer
Title: MR. Supreme Overlord
Member`s Gallery
I'd like to know how it does on back to back to back dyno runs. Mine tends to get smokin' hot if it doesn't get a chance to cool down between runs with the electric fan on.

brandon.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:04 PM   #9
Hammer

Member`s Gallery
Brandon..
I will know that next week as I am going to redo my baseline so I have updated numbers before I venture out to EEP the First week of July for some work.If your around I will be out there from Sunday the 1st through the 3rd.

Waynes World..
I do not know of anyone making a direct fit pusher fan kit.You may be able to do a retro fit but thee is little room up front to do that.I know of only one person who does that and he does it during the summer months when he removes his a/c evaporator to sled pull.

SKYNYRD...
I only tow my small frame around now you know that,but,get us a trailer and we will load your truck and go for a ride,......Andy

Old 06-11-2007, 11:23 PM   #10
joefarmer

Name: joefarmer
Title: MR. Supreme Overlord
Member`s Gallery
I'm always up for something! I should be flying back into town on the 30th of June. There's a Sonic over on that side of town. Where are you staying?

brnaodn.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:35 PM   #11
Twisted Shifter

Name: Twisted Shifter
Member`s Gallery
I installed mine this weekend (thanks to Flex A Lite) The install is very easy even as a one man job. It took me about 4 1/2 - 5 hours with taking photos etc along the way. The only thing I am not happy with is the wires. I think they could have done a better job with them.

I have a big trans cooler that I will be installing next weekend!

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:21 AM   #12
GSM-01

Name: GSM-01
Title: Can turn wrenches
Member`s Gallery
Twisted, did you also get that trans cooler form Flex-A-Lite? or was that pruchased else where? I have been playing around with a better trans cooler for my tow truck but other than installing just another cooler, have yet to find anything really worth while.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:41 AM   #13
trik396

Name: trik396
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNES WORLD
Hammer,

I want to congratulate you on this project.

I was debating that same idea.

I'm very interested in if it will make it easier to work on the truck.
Your results will be a big influence on the purchase as well.

Can anyone tell me if the make a front pusher fan assembly?
Just a thought,

WAYNES WORLD
Wayne, from my muscle car gasser days, we learned that a pusher fan just wasn't as effective as a puller fan. Don't know the physics of it all and why it is that way. Pullers are more effiecient that pushers.

Hammer, very nice looking install...

Old 06-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #14
JacktheBear3

Name: JacktheBear3
Title: Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
About what do those Flex A Lite Fans cost.... ?

Sorry, I'm too lazy to google and besides the comp-D shoppers are professionals.

W

Old 06-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #15
WAYNES WORLD

Name: WAYNES WORLD
Member`s Gallery
Flex-A-Lite 262 Fan Installed...

trik396,
Tony, I recently saw one on a truck at indy. It left a lot of room inside the motor cavity but it also didn't have any AC condensor. HHMMM

JacktheBear3,
They run about $500 plus or minus

WAYNES WORLD

Old 06-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #16
JacktheBear3

Name: JacktheBear3
Title: Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Thanks Wayne

Old 06-14-2007, 11:46 PM   #17
Twisted Shifter

Member`s Gallery
Sorry for the Delay ..... yes the cooler is from FAL. I will be installing it back under the bed because it will not fit up front. this thing is HUGE. I will be taking pictures and writing a "how to"

The radiator fans run about $580.00 to $650.00+ shipping depending on the site, and the cooler like I have in the picture runs about $160.00+ Shipping. The cooling fan is out of this world when it comes to cooling the motor ..... It takes much longer for the "370 haze" to go away!

Old 06-15-2007, 12:01 AM   #18
Burner

Name: Burner
Title: slow poke
Member`s Gallery
4 times did we swap out the FLEX fans. They work great until you're loaded heavy. They just don't seem to handle the heavy loads?

Trans cooler....hummm, what is Setrab?

Old 06-15-2007, 07:56 AM   #19
Twisted Shifter

Member`s Gallery
Yea mine will never see a heavy load ........... I just wanted to get that HP stealing fan off my crank

Old 06-17-2007, 01:48 AM   #20
JQmile

Name: JQmile
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
When we put the fans on our project dually, we saw a big increase in highway mpg --to the tune of about 2-3mpg better--I'd be interested to see if you get similar gains............

Jason Sands
Associate Editor
Diesel Power Magazine

Closed Thread