Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #21
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
fair enough

Old 05-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #22
Big Swole

Name: Big Swole
Title: MegaInterceptor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing View Post
meanwhile, I wasn't makin' fun of Swole... ask anyone, I ALWAYS say "just sayin"

it didn't even register that he said it till you did!

Make fun of me anytime! I'm used to it and most always deserve it!
You know I can't spell worth a dang!

Plus it makes me feel loved!!

Sorry for the derail Rich....Back on track.
-2006 Honda S2000 - SOS Supercharged - 397 whp - Silverstone Metallic
-2016 RAM 2500 MegaCab Diesel - Silver (Tuned)
-HERS
-2019 718 Boxster S - Miami Blue 6MT, Cobb Tune, Soul, Ohlins,
-2014 958.1 Cayenne S - Umber Metallic / Luxor Beige
-2013 Honda Civic S.i.Coupe - 6MT

Old 05-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #23
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Member`s Gallery
lol, you know I gotta give you a hard time, copper!!!

but this isn't one of those times... seriously, I say "just sayin" about a thousand times a day

Old 05-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #24
Big Swole

Name: Big Swole
Title: MegaInterceptor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing View Post
lol, you know I gotta give you a hard time, copper!!!

but this isn't one of those times... seriously, I say "just sayin" about a thousand times a day
Oh yeah! I know! I like it...=)

Funny though, I went through a faze like that when I was younger....I think it was a fad kinda back in school....I kinda grew out of it I guess...

And when I typed it, I had NO clue why I did it! I was just trying to be funny I guess...

Ok....Ok.........OPIE shafts!!!!!!!

back on track! =)
-2006 Honda S2000 - SOS Supercharged - 397 whp - Silverstone Metallic
-2016 RAM 2500 MegaCab Diesel - Silver (Tuned)
-HERS
-2019 718 Boxster S - Miami Blue 6MT, Cobb Tune, Soul, Ohlins,
-2014 958.1 Cayenne S - Umber Metallic / Luxor Beige
-2013 Honda Civic S.i.Coupe - 6MT

Old 05-18-2010, 11:38 PM   #25
Bobcat698

Name: Bobcat698
Title: Pure Diesel Power
Member`s Gallery
Not bad! All of my Sonnax shafts have held very well, haven't had any issues in all my sled pulling career.

I did however break the hub and twist a shaft 1/4 spline back when I used to drag race my truck in 06. That was after several 30PSI launches in 4wd with 35 inch tires.. the left front would raise a few inches on launch. I didn't know that much damage was done, I knew something was fubared as I had welded the clutches together.. No neutral or reverse and could build boost in park.
I managed to make it all the way back home, then to Iowa (300 miles or so) and Dave Goerend took the truck down the road 1/4 mile and lost the ability to go forward at all.. The hub on the input shaft finally unlocked. I am thinking at that time it was a TCS shaft.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #26
Opie

Name: Opie
Title: Ingenuity Director
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDodge View Post
all 3 of these shafts were in the same truck with same motor, tranny and rear end.

opie shaft (left) made 1 spool up.
TCS Canada (center) 19 or 20 passes
Sonnax (right) 3 passes sofar
Well I better warn guys not to do 1 spool up. lol Rich you can just keep that shaft after reading this post I think you should keep it for a conversational piece. Its amazing you can tell there is a bent shaft after a spool up.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #27
Opie

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
That is pretty crazy! It is cool that the Opie twisted as oppsed to shearing!
but it would have broke if i didnt pull the converter after the 1 spool up to change the stall.[/QUOTE]

So why did you tell me it was after making 1 pass?

i got
>> this shaft from Jeff Garman just over a week ago. i made 1 pass at the
>> track and this is what happen. do i need to go thru Jeff for a
>> replacement
>> or some else. please let me know how to get this taken care of.</DIV>
>> <DIV>&nbsp;thank you Rick Buckley

Whatever Rick...

Old 05-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #28
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Opie, do you think the heat treat process was messed up on that shaft and it didn't get tempered to your spec?

Freak weak shaft that got a bad chunk of billet from the steel plant?

Just curious on your thoughts because until this thread, I've read nothing but raving great reviews about indestructible IE shafts.
OEM 12v Block

Old 05-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #29
kleann

Name: kleann
Title: VP44 pwr
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue24 View Post
Just curious on your thoughts because until this thread, I've read nothing but raving great reviews about indestructible IE shafts.
x2.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #30
UNBROKEN

Name: UNBROKEN
Title: Ezekiel 25:17
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke View Post
Yes, the converter was VERY loose, he launched and locked. The converter never "coupled up" before lock-up. I am certain that any of those shafts would have broken or twisted at best the way he pulled that thing back. A fair test would to see how the other shafts woud look after a simular launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue24 View Post
Opie, do you think the heat treat process was messed up on that shaft and it didn't get tempered to your spec?

Freak weak shaft that got a bad chunk of billet from the steel plant?

I think Phil's post might explain what happened.....

Old 05-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #31
Rich Buckley

Name: Rich Buckley
Title: Opie shaft twister
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
Well I better warn guys not to do 1 spool up. lol Rich you can just keep that shaft after reading this post I think you should keep it for a conversational piece. Its amazing you can tell there is a bent shaft after a spool up.
if you will read your email you will see that the tranny was pulled after 1 spool up at the track because of tranny problem. tranny would not shift to 3rd when doing burn out. so i tryed to spool it at the line and it would only go to 20psi. loaded it back up, took it home to change out converter and found the shaft twisted like it is in the pic.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #32
Rich Buckley

Member`s Gallery
this loose converter that everybody is talking about is a v-10 around 2400rpm.
plus my tranny does not lock up until after 2nd gear.

we will be testing with a new V-10 4 disk this weekend from phil (2400rpm)
the other 2 shafts have had 2800 to 3000rpm launchs on them and they are still OK.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #33
outlaw99

Name: outlaw99
Member`s Gallery
I have sonnax input and output, tce intermediate, my input is slighlty twisted hardly noticable but I also have a loose converter and lockup in 2nd, with 35's thats whats twisting it in my opinion..lol I have heard nothing but good about opie though and I would think he would cover the shaft untill this maybe..lol

TOOPS PERFORMANCE
IN HOUSE DYNO TUNING
EFI LIVE/UDC TUNING CUMMINS

03-04.5 efi conversions

Old 05-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #34
NickTF

Name: NickTF
Title: Single turbo turd.
Member`s Gallery
So what i'm getting from this thread is loose converter, 35" tires, 4x4 launches, and locking the converter is a no no? lol

Old 05-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #35
Opie

Member`s Gallery
The Incredible Rick Buckley Spool Up!

Quote:
if you will read your email you will see that the tranny was pulled after 1 spool up at the track because of tranny problem. tranny would not shift to 3rd when doing burn out. so i tryed to spool it at the line and it would only go to 20psi. loaded it back up, took it home to change out converter and found the shaft twisted like it is in the pic.
I posted the email that said you had made a pass after you claimed to only of done a spool up and pulled the converter cause it was too loose. Now you did a spool up followed by a pass that wouldn’t go into 3rd gear. But in no way did you lock the converter before second gear. And you have a perfectly good TCS shaft from last year that has made either 19 or 20 passes. But you are not going to run it this year instead you bought one of mine twisted it then bought a TCS. Seems pretty silly to not run last years or another TCS as they are the cheapest shaft and lets face it you must want to go the cheapest route or you would of bought the big boy input this year aka a Fat shaft. This is all your story not mine. Yes I have heard all kinds of stories when it comes to shafts. Everything to my intermediates being the cause of planets blowing up to one of my inputs being at fault for taking out a gov solenoid. Most are just as bunk as you twisting one of my inputs while just spooling up. I heard that you locked the converter after spooling up triple turbos? I don’t know nor do I care. You exceeded that input shaft my best guess was it was a shock loaded. Hopefully this post will be referenced in the future so others can avoid doing the Rick Buckley spool up with my parts. Are you running any other parts of mine right now?
1725’pds while spooling up is just incredible. The fastest ¼ mile truck running my parts that I know of is in the 8’s but he and everyone slower must be doing so without what I will now call “The Incredible Rick Buckley Spool Up.”

Old 05-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #36
SPEEDSHIFT

Name: SPEEDSHIFT
Member`s Gallery
Does the shaft have any kind of warranty?
2013 3500 4x4 Aisin Dually Tow Rig

Tenacity Tuning, Longs Machine Shop, BD Diesel Performance

Old 05-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #37
LAmiller

Name: LAmiller
Title: THE KT-BOUNDARY
Member`s Gallery
Opie has shown me excellent service in the warranty department!
http://www.shop.firepunk.com

Old 05-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #38
Rich Buckley

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
I posted the email that said you had made a pass after you claimed to only of done a spool up and pulled the converter cause it was too loose. Now you did a spool up followed by a pass that wouldn’t go into 3rd gear. But in no way did you lock the converter before second gear. And you have a perfectly good TCS shaft from last year that has made either 19 or 20 passes. But you are not going to run it this year instead you bought one of mine twisted it then bought a TCS. Seems pretty silly to not run last years or another TCS as they are the cheapest shaft and lets face it you must want to go the cheapest route or you would of bought the big boy input this year aka a Fat shaft. This is all your story not mine. Yes I have heard all kinds of stories when it comes to shafts. Everything to my intermediates being the cause of planets blowing up to one of my inputs being at fault for taking out a gov solenoid. Most are just as bunk as you twisting one of my inputs while just spooling up. I heard that you locked the converter after spooling up triple turbos? I don’t know nor do I care. You exceeded that input shaft my best guess was it was a shock loaded. Hopefully this post will be referenced in the future so others can avoid doing the Rick Buckley spool up with my parts. Are you running any other parts of mine right now?
1725’pds while spooling up is just incredible. The fastest ¼ mile truck running my parts that I know of is in the 8’s but he and everyone slower must be doing so without what I will now call “The Incredible Rick Buckley Spool Up.”
i guess reading is not one of your strong points. i said IT WOULD NOT SHIFT TO 3RD WHEN I WAS DOING MY BURN OUT. yes i ran a TCS shaft all last year with a little twist in it and it made over 200 passes. when i had Jeff Garman build me a tranny back in April i asked what was the best shaft to use and he said opies fat shaft but he did not have any in stock so we went with the next best thing so i thought. i had told Jeff that we were going to build a another tranny and would be going with the fat shaft set up in it. but before i had a chance to even try the first one out the shaft was twisted.
the shaft from last year is in my 96 dodge dually pull rig. it was the same one that went 9.34@148mph at breachbend last oct at the NHRDA race. but after a full year of racing i wanted to just replace it before it broke.
after i twisted the oh so great opie shaft i replace it with a brand new TCS shaft. then went and put 20 or so passes on it. then we changed out the converter and swaped to a sonnax to see if it would break or twist.

so what your tell me is that your shafts will hold up to an 8 sec truck?
so maybe there was something wrong with the one i got.
if you would like to ask Jeff if there is any way for my tranny to lock up before 2nd gear feel free cause i have not come up with a way yet. when Jeff
Garman built the tranny he asked if i wanted to lock in 1st or 2nd and i told him i wanted it not to lock untill 2nd gear. so yes i am telling you there is no way that i locked it up before 2nd gear.
so what you are telling me if i went with the fat shaft i would not have twisted it?
seems funny that after going with the TCS shaft i have not had any issues with shafts twisting. Maybe high priced parts are not the way to go then cause TCS is the cheapest shaft out there.
all i have ask from the start was what needed to do done to get the shaft replaced. thats when you started in with "I am not going to do anything about my twisted shaft" remember that email.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #39
Rich Buckley

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTF View Post
So what i'm getting from this thread is loose converter, 35" tires, 4x4 launches, and locking the converter is a no no? lol
4500lbs 2wd 33 goodyear slicks here.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #40
Rich Buckley

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDSHIFT View Post
Does the shaft have any kind of warranty?
i guess not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread