Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > FirePunk
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
wideopen

Name: wideopen
Title: Slum Lord
Member`s Gallery
Firepunk 68RFE Tow Build

My adventure started several months ago with my 68 doing some weird things.

1. Had a delay when shifting between Park, Drive, and Reverse.
2. Would shift down extremely quick when it got in a strain in higher gears.
3: But still drove fine for the most part.

After doing some research on the internet, the common cause for this seemed to be a loose spin on filter, causing the trans to loose line pressure. I decided dropped the pan to replace the filters and do a general once over.

When I dropped the pan I found that the spin on was tight, the pan filter was dirty and that there was quite a bit of metallic particles in the pan itself....Not cool...So I cleaned it up and put it all back together, and contacted Lavon Miller and Phil Taylor at Diesel Performance Converters.

Lavon and his crew took the truck back to Plain City, Oh. after the TS Outlaw event. I was fortunate enough to have a spare truck that I could use so that they could have the truck to as long as they needed it.

The crew at Firepunk jumped on it and pulled the trans., I expecting the worst. This is where a little luck worked out in my favor. They inspected everything and found that the Pump was the cause of the metallic Particles and that the clutches were fine so no need for a complete rebuild.

Parts List for my Build:
  1. Diesel Performance Converters Triple Disc 68 Converter
  2. New Pump
  3. Shift Kit
  4. Firepunk TCM Tuning
  5. ATS Deep Pan

Keep in mind that I use this truck for towing and daily driving, not a Race Truck/Sled Puller so the inputs the new modified Sprag and all the other High HP parts weren't needed.

Side note on the ATS Pan:

I had sent an AFE deep Trans pan over to be used but Matt Kauffman was not impressed. After a few minutes on Facebook and Matt expressing his dislike Ryan Gelinas from ATS sent over a ATS Deep pan to replace the AFE unit. I have to agree the ATS Pan is a way better unit than the AFE unit! Thank you Ryan and ATS!

I arrived at the Firepunk Worldwide headquarters on Saturday morning where I was met by Lavon and his beautiful daughter Lexi. They proceeded to give me a tour of their facilities and and a history lesson on Firepunk. I am truly amazed at the amount of work that these guys pull off! The Transmission build room is amazing the amount of thought that went into laying it out. The process they use to check in cores, inspect, and build is one of the best I've seen. Completely Professional!

So now back to the truck.....

I had drove the 1/2 Ton Crew Cab Chevy 2wd truck up with the trailer in tow. I unhooked it, hooked my Dodge to the trailer and loaded the 1/2 ton on the trailer. I headed out to near towards Winchester Indiana to meet buddy to swap some race car parts. This leg of the trip was around 110 miles of mostly 2 lane roads and a little bit on Interstate. The Truck was absolutely flawless! It shifted great, pulled like a champ, and wasn't phased once by the stop and go!

Leg two of the trip was from Winchester to Russellville, Ky.(Home) was nearly 350 miles of interstate and a few narrow back county roads. Once again the truck was a champ!

Sunday was the first day I was able to drive it without a trailer hooked to it, I was ready to see how it acted.....Freaking Awesome that's how!!!! The truck shifted better than it ever has and it pulled like a champ! During the drive i had a friend in a Trailblazer SS decide he wanted to play and test the Albino Goat, from a 30 MPH roll he wasn't able to pull past me, where before I wasn't secure enough in the transmission to push the truck like that.

I am 100% satisfied with the Work that Firepunk has done!

I need to send a big thank you to Phil and the Crew at Diesel Performance Converters. Ryan and all the good folks at ATS!

And a huge thank you to Lavon, Matt, Rick Fox and any of the others at Firepunk that were involved with this!

Thank You guys!!!

Hellmann Performance ~ Keating Machine ~ Engineered Diesel ~ Mumau Diesel ~ GoGo Diesel ~ Hamilton Cams ~ Diesel Innovations ~ Grand Rock Exhaust ~ Smarty

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Molon labe
#FTCS

Old 07-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
imelmo

Name: imelmo
Title: Go away, I'm 'batin'!
Member`s Gallery

The FORDOTA, '86 Toyota reg cab tube chassis to be powered by a 6.0 Powerstroke; finally back in progress

Old 07-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
USARMY12V

Name: USARMY12V
Title: Rally round the Virginian
Member`s Gallery
Firepunk Worldwide hahaha. Great guys for sure. It's refreshing to see the industry's best are still involved in day to day operations of their companies. The amount of effort they put into their customer service satisfaction is bar none.

"God gave them 24 for those too dumb to use 12."

Be a happy dinosaur

1998 QCLB 5.9 Auto Under the Knife

2010 MCSB 6.7 68RFE Draconian MCC soon to be EFI, Deleted

Old 07-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #4
wideopen

Name: wideopen
Title: Slum Lord
Member`s Gallery
FirePunk Worldwide....Kinda like Prestige Worldwide, only real...

Hellmann Performance ~ Keating Machine ~ Engineered Diesel ~ Mumau Diesel ~ GoGo Diesel ~ Hamilton Cams ~ Diesel Innovations ~ Grand Rock Exhaust ~ Smarty

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Molon labe
#FTCS

Old 07-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #5
RickFox

Name: RickFox
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideopen View Post
FirePunk Worldwide....Kinda like Prestige Worldwide, only real...

Wait....Prestige Worldwide isn't a real thing?

COMPETITIONDIESEL.COM
Bringing the BEST together.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:53 PM   #6
97$moker

Name: 97$moker
Title: Hukt on fonix wurkt fr me
Member`s Gallery
We can pretend

Old 07-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
As soon as my 68 schidts the bed.......the silver goat will be making the trip to the same world headquarters for pretty much the same exact build. I need towing junk, not racing junk. Sounds like they did a great job....but none of us would expect anything less from the punks.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 07-08-2016, 09:45 PM   #8
displacedtexan

Name: displacedtexan
Title: $500 PREMIUM MEMBER
Member`s Gallery
Jory, the racing junk domain name is already taken.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:57 AM   #9
FuelishDesire

Name: FuelishDesire
Title: Lifelong skeptic.
Member`s Gallery
I am considering doing this for my 08. What kind of budget do I need for a build like yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'08 Dodge Ram 2500 QCSB Laramie
6.7L Cummins, deletes in place, mild tuning, wishing for the money for upgrades.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #10
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelishDesire View Post
I am considering doing this for my 08. What kind of budget do I need for a build like yours?
I have also thought to ask this exact question.....but I'm certain the budget would start with a 3 then about four more numbers. My guess is $3700. How far off am I, Phil or Lavon?

Closed Thread