Is the 241 dhd stronger than the 241 standard?

SCHMITTY

Not enough time
I'm rebuilding the transmissions on my 95 and my father in laws 94. He's wanting a pto . His t case doesn't have the spot for a pto and mine does. My truck is a street toy/ strip when my schedule allows. I'd be willing to trade him but I don't want to swap if I'm getting a weaker t case .

Is there any differences other than the pto spot ? I'll be launching in 4hi and I have 5x.016s and soon a 64 or bigger turbo - as far as power goes

Really? I was told they are about the same. The dhd was actually a bit more prone to cracking the case I was told. The guy said put a few parts from the dhd in the dld and it is stronger?

In the pulling world the DLD won't hold what the DHD will. I've not messed with one in a while but if I remember correctly the out put is different and where the DLD lacks

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter that much with the 94/95/early96 ones. If you are interested in a stronger T-Case look into a later NP241HD (late 96-02, keep in mind that 98-02 have a different shift pattern)

The early DHD's have a 2 piece rear tail housing section where the later ones have a 1 piece.

Or look for an NV271 from a 3rd gen.

Yeah I just compared two my friend has and the later dhd is a much larger output.

I thought the 271s where a time bomb or had chain issues?

The larger output and a bigger or extra rear bearing, and people having cracking issues with their work trucks is all I could find before I posted this.

We have a 69 international 1600 load star and he was thinking about a swap but wanted to be able to use the dump bed still.

Thanks for the info

It doesn't really matter that much with the 94/95/early96 ones. If you are interested in a stronger T-Case look into a later NP241HD (late 96-02, keep in mind that 98-02 have a different shift pattern)

The early DHD's have a 2 piece rear tail housing section where the later ones have a 1 piece.

Or look for an NV271 from a 3rd gen.

Correct. The early DHD and DLD have very little differences

Yeah I just compared two my friend has and the later dhd is a much larger output.

I thought the 271s where a time bomb or had chain issues?
The 271s do stretch chains but overall are stronger. Besides they are wicked easy to do a chain on, you don't even have to remove it from the truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The issue is the early(94-95) DHD are really the DLD with a PTO added. Chrysler got scared with the added HP in 96 that the DLD wouldn't survive, so they went with the larger output DHD. What I found to ensure a DHD with the larger output and speedo gear was to say you needed one for a 97 3500 with 3.54 gears.

On subject the large output DHD will take alot of abuse.

If you're swapping from DLD to DHD, be prepared to have your rear driveshaft cut down... I know on my 98 QCLB it was too long by a bit. Can't remember off the top of my head how much I had cut off of it, but if you were willing to do enough searching on this forum I do know my measurements are on here as well as probably others who have done the same thing. Or they may be on the other forum... Somewhere on the inter webs. I want to say the yoke's are also differing sizes.

The issue is the early(94-95) DHD are really the DLD with a PTO added. Chrysler got scared with the added HP in 96 that the DLD wouldn't survive, so they went with the larger output DHD. What I found to ensure a DHD with the larger output and speedo gear was to say you needed one for a 97 3500 with 3.54 gears.

On subject the large output DHD will take alot of abuse.

So my 95' dhd has the same strength as the 94' dld?

I have 5x.016s and I'll be going with either a 64,66, or a new sxe 69.

I'll be launching in 4hi on stock size tires, and towing my small boat as far as the duty it sees. Think it would matter?

I'll swap the drive shafts with the yokes still on them also. Both truck are reg cabs

Here's the truck that will get the 12v/47rh/np241 dhd. That way we can run the dump bed still. We picked the 94' donor truck up for 2k and drove it home

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Usually drag trucks don't have problems with DLD transfer cases, that said, your results may vary. At the sled track, I hear the DLD's are lucky to last 1 pull behind anything over 600 HP...

Back