Started the hood

Dalpilot

Joe Nobody!
Ok, I am no body guy, but I decided to tackle the hood. I bought a 4x10' section of 18 gauge sheet metal and got to town. I like to think of it right now as Frankenhood. The sides on it now are temporary so I could get the right hight. They will be cut out once the new sides are matched up, and it will be supported evenly accross the back. I stitch welded the front and started to grind it down with a flapper wheel when I ran out of time. It will take one more scoop up the middle to clear the piping.

Hood5.jpg

hood11.jpg

hood22.jpg

hood31.jpg

hood41.jpg

It will look good, or it will go in the trash, and a new one will be made......by someone else. LOL

If you get the second "hump" the right size, the hood will have enough strength that it won't be floppy down the track even without any additional bracing underneath.

I think it looks like a good start. What kind of welder? If it's a mig, you might see if you can locate a Tig to use as it would make it a ton easier IMO.

Tim has more money tied up in his engine that all my trucks combined....and has the same damn harbor freight tool box I have. LOL

I see 3/4 gallon of bondo in your future.

Tim has more money tied up in his engine that all my trucks combined....and has the same damn harbor freight tool box I have. LOL

I see 3/4 gallon of bondo in your future.

LMAO, not my shop, but I have tons of Harbor freight, "Throw away" tools.

Its a Miller 180, brand new. Getting a tig is just not in my cards right now.

Like Richard said, "Bondo is your friend". LOL

reminder ''bondo'' is heavy so you might want to pass this project on to the pro's, so it'll look cool and isn't 60lbs, but there's something about doining it your self , it's a good start good luck

Back