Water injection + Ice = Good idea? Bad Idea?

And read you the book?

Bits and pieces, why?

Begle, I have thought about this all day, and by all means I have no real post secondary education to base this on, however, it seems to me that your "Superheating" thread that I didn't get to finish basically stated that superheated, super pressured water requires an exponensial amount more heat to change phase.. The question this leaves me is this: The only way superheating is of any benefeit is when that superheated fluid (water) is injected into an atomosphere saturarated with latent heat in excess of that which the injectable possesses. You have to spray into an energy dense area of the injectable becomes exothermic and does nothing beneficial, correct? I'm headed back to that thread but I checked this first after coming home.

And to contribute to this thread, why does no-one tie a temp sensor in the intake to the water injection system?

Last edited:
If atomized water does absorb heat that fast, than the only danger is that there is so much water in the cylinder that there isn't enough heat to keep it all gaseous. Or that the water is not atomized finely enough to absorb heat fast enough.

I believe you confirmed what I was after....

Hmmm, interesting. Why is the thread link posted by Begle earlier CLOSED?

Nonetheless, there were some interesting things brought up that I wish I'd seen earlier.

The "boiler" setup and picture posted by JoeSixPack, is a WHR (Waste Heat Recovery) designed by Cummins. This uses a refrigerant (R245fa) as the working fluid in an Organic Rankine Cycle to expand through a high speed Barber-Nichols turbine. The turbine is a turbine/generator unit that produces electrical power; the electrical power is then used to add work back to the shaft through a electric motor unit integrated with the flywheel.

This is a VERY complex system, and is much harder than it looks. The benefit realized is no where near coming to fruition for real world application.

Some other thoughts later when I have more time...

--Eric

That was the only time mine was injected. Never came on unless boost went above 35lbs, and the second stage never came on until ~55lbs.

Still started getting excessive blowby and actual water droplets on my CCV tube. Went to the water-soluble oil and blowby went back to normal and nothing but engine oil on my CCV tube.

For the windshield tank, I'm with you. If you get a separate tank, run this stuff.

2813501350082519711S600x600Q85.jpg

A little goes a long, long way.

What ratio would you run for towing applications Charles?

Back