Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:04 AM   #15101
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
OK truck tuning Gods...say I have a Kenworth T300 with a Paccar PX6 or PX8...can you tune/delete it?

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 01-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #15102
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
Yesus, healer, spirit talker. Anything but a truck driver typically.

I left it be at disagreement and you keep taking stabs. Why?

I didn’t take a stab, it’s just almost every mechanic that went to school or especially a factory store parts changer like a Cat/Cummins “tech” are die hard Kool-Aid drinkers. The way they were told is the ONLY way it can be done. OEM is not always the best way, the aftermarket has proven that since the first car was invented. If everyone believed the crap they were told this site wouldn’t exist, no drag racing or sled pulling. The “maths” as you said would tell me I can’t uprate a 475 to 550 without a total driveline replacement. Want to guess how inaccurate that is or do you want to ask your teacher?

I get it, your in a shop that probably doesn’t allow you to think for yourself or try anything that isn’t within spec. But in my world spec is just a suggestion and the only way to know what works is to try it yourself. Sometimes it works and sometimes it costs you money. But I’ve found the best way to know for sure is to actually try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
I like hearing that kind of stuff honestly. People like Rick on here need to exist. That is trucking to me. Dad would spend his entire sunday polishing tanks and wheels. He could pay people to do it and it would have been wayyy easier but he enjoyed it. The second people like him are gone trucking will have been 100% commercialized/corporate to the point of no turning back IMO.
You don’t have to drive a show truck but it’s not that hard to keep things looking nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
OK truck tuning Gods...say I have a Kenworth T300 with a Paccar PX6 or PX8...can you tune/delete it?

Chris

Yes
Old 01-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #15103
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Yes
I figured you'd tell me that....You were honestly going to be my first contact once we find the right truck.

Just wanted to make sure I could open it up to newer models and not just old ISC's

Thank you!
Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 01-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #15104
Rig Wrench

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I didn’t take a stab, it’s just almost every mechanic that went to school or especially a factory store parts changer like a Cat/Cummins “tech” are die hard Kool-Aid drinkers. The way they were told is the ONLY way it can be done. OEM is not always the best way, the aftermarket has proven that since the first car was invented. If everyone believed the crap they were told this site wouldn’t exist, no drag racing or sled pulling. The “maths” as you said would tell me I can’t uprate a 475 to 550 without a total driveline replacement. Want to guess how inaccurate that is or do you want to ask your teacher?

I get it, your in a shop that probably doesn’t allow you to think for yourself or try anything that isn’t within spec. But in my world spec is just a suggestion and the only way to know what works is to try it yourself. Sometimes it works and sometimes it costs you money. But I’ve found the best way to know for sure is to actually try it.

You don’t have to drive a show truck but it’s not that hard to keep things looking nice.

Yes

You cannot run a c18 in a highway truck in North America. The factory never did it so it can't be done
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (11.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #15105
Rig Wrench

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post
First time it's been hooked to a trailer in 7 years. Now it needs a bath Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Love that truck. Lotsa potential there
Old 01-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #15106
RascalMafia

Name: RascalMafia
Title: heyyyyyyy girrrrrrrl
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

That's because when customers take their equipment to a Dealer with certified techs, they expect the same factory developed repair procedure to be followed whether they're in San Diego or in Singapore. Cat Dealers are required to have training plans and are measured on completion rates, amongst many other things.
'01 F350 7.3 / ZF6

Old 01-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #15107
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Wrench View Post
You cannot run a c18 in a highway truck in North America. The factory never did it so it can't be done
What kind òf nutjob would do such a thing
Old 01-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #15108
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Member`s Gallery
Has anyone played with borgs 100mm turbine?
Old 01-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #15109
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalMafia View Post
That's because when customers take their equipment to a Dealer with certified techs, they expect the same factory developed repair procedure to be followed whether they're in San Diego or in Singapore. Cat Dealers are required to have training plans and are measured on completion rates, amongst many other things.
I guess making repairs with parts that will fail in the same exact way eventually is a good way to stay in the job.

Like replacing an ARD head on an SDP out of someone’s pocket knowing that it will break again and cost them money.

Must be a fine job to have if you don’t have a conscience.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #15110
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
For the record, I don’t drive a show truck. Lol

My truck is at best, a working truck.
Bunk has corrosion, paint peeling. Under the hood is not pretty, it has its problems etc.
It runs 2500-3500 miles a week with some mid 20’s kid acting like he knows what he’s doing.

I do what I do because I feel its the way it should be done. It makes me enjoy what’s left of the industry I’m in. Just like right now, i got in yesterday after 3500 miles... my truck is sitting down the street at my Dads gravel lot, covered in salt.

I get made fun of for the things I do, and then some people appreciate the way I do things. To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO
Old 01-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #15111
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Wrench View Post
Love that truck. Lotsa potential there
I think he needs a bigger trailer. Lol

Quote:
So if you build a bridge and it falls do you build it back the same way over and over? Not on my dime you won’t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post
For the record, I don’t drive a show truck. Lol

My truck is at best, a working truck.
Bunk has corrosion, paint peeling. Under the hood is not pretty, it has its problems etc.
It runs 2500-3500 miles a week with some mid 20’s kid acting like he knows what he’s doing.

I do what I do because I feel its the way it should be done. It makes me enjoy what’s left of the industry I’m in. Just like right now, i got in yesterday after 3500 miles... my truck is sitting down the street at my Dads gravel lot, covered in salt.

I get made fun of for the things I do, and then some people appreciate the way I do things. To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bravo! I see lots of older well taken care of trucks. They’re not show pony’s and nothing fancy but you can tell the guy takes care of it. We see lots of fleet trucks, some so clean that you could eat off the floor. Doesn’t matter that it’s a million mile Columbia worth $5000 or a $170,000 brand new W9. If you take care of it you’ve got my respect. Now running around Detroit I see tons of what we call “city rats”. They have more bungee cords holding their bumper on than a side kit has on the tarp. You can just tell no one gives a damn what it looks like.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #15112
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
I guess making repairs with parts that will fail in the same exact way eventually is a good way to stay in the job.

Like replacing an ARD head on an SDP out of someone’s pocket knowing that it will break again and cost them money.

Must be a fine job to have if you don’t have a conscience.

You remember when Don was having all the issues with his MXS and was apart 3 times and each time Cat would only cut the counterbore on one hole? Typical dealer crap, just patch it up until it’s out of warranty. Probably down a week each time because doing all 6 once would have been stupid.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #15113
RascalMafia

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post

As opposed to what other method of repair?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
'01 F350 7.3 / ZF6

Old 01-13-2018, 12:08 PM   #15114
RascalMafia

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

So if you build a bridge and it falls do you build it back the same way over and over? Not on my dime you won’t.
There's always more than one way to skin a cat, and no one is obligated to use a Dealer if it's out of warranty. No different than taking a Chevy to a GM dealer or having a third party repair it.

'01 F350 7.3 / ZF6

Old 01-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #15115
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Yes
You're on some kind of rant that doesn't have anything to do with me, if other than the fact that I said I would leave the cooler and re-plumb it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 01-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #15116
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You remember when Don was having all the issues with his MXS and was apart 3 times and each time Cat would only cut the counterbore on one hole? Typical dealer crap, just patch it up until it’s out of warranty. Probably down a week each time because doing all 6 once would have been stupid.
Our shop has never cut one hole on an engine that dropped a liner.

You're using extremes to make your point like a fanatic does in an argument.

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 01-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #15117
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
*only* one hole.

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 01-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #15118
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
This is why my “rant” applies to you.
Quote:
Why would you want to? You would be better served to give it it's own cooling circuit to make it more efficient.

Sounds simple........

Quote:
.......I suppose we will just have to disagree on the usefulness of the precooler.

I can prove the cooler is crap and you can disagree all you want, but if you can’t back up with facts why it is a huge benefit then it’s pointless. 125-135* air stock with 225*+ coolant temps vs 140-145* without and <200* coolant.

Quote:
Yep, all that sciences and mathfs... I start ignoring it asap

Again wouldn’t want real world tests to get in the way of your text books

Quote:
While I'm curious how the outlet elbow works, I would still keep it and run its own heat exchanger and pump.

Is this the one you posted the charge air Temps from? The ~450° is consistent with what I was trained on. The liquid cooler dropped Temps to just above coolant temp from what I remember. Target manifold inlet temp is always 100 degrees for emissions engines. I don't know why that is the magic number.

It’s the magic number that only you know about?

Cat turns the engine fan on at 150 and throws a high intake temp fault at 160/165 so maybe that’s closer to what they consider too hot?
Old 01-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #15119
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Sure do, took a performance shop to finally get it right.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #15120
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
As opposed to what other method of repair?

Not necessarily a different repair, but at least admit the part is **** and offer it at a discount rate since in all reality it should be a recalled part.

Then there is the delete option, but we know the semantics of that are so hush hush a dealer mechanic would never suggest that for fear of being dismissed.