Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Extreme Engine Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
jedeka

Name: jedeka
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Any Hamilton 12v high swirl head reviews?

Looking to replace a 12v cylinder head. I was curious how this head is working and holding up. Thanks.

2005 3500 4x4 dually, auto, KORE leveling coils, 19.5 wheels, Smarty Jr

Old 03-25-2017, 02:27 AM   #2
wildbill144

Name: wildbill144
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Really, no one has anything to say about the only aftermarket head . I have one waiting to go but that's not going to help the OP..Seriously no one has anything to say yet ???

Old 03-25-2017, 05:11 AM   #3
kawi600

Name: kawi600
Title: got Coal for Christmas
Member`s Gallery
I tried his original head with some extra machining to help with swirl but it wasnt enough. The intake area was wider so the speeds werent as high so there was less swirl for low end efficiency. I have no idea what kind of setup the new head has on it.
As far as quality I was real happy with it. No complaints at all.
Psalm 37:10,11
Isaiah 65:20

Old 04-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #4
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
We've tested a few now, they run as good or better on the lowend than a stock head from what we can tell and they definitely flow more than stock!

If I were in the situation of needing a new head to replace a cracked 12v head, I'd seriously consider the new Hamilton high swirl head.
OEM 12v Block

Old 05-01-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
12vCumminsFTW

Name: 12vCumminsFTW
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue24 View Post
We've tested a few now, they run as good or better on the lowend than a stock head from what we can tell and they definitely flow more than stock!

If I were in the situation of needing a new head to replace a cracked 12v head, I'd seriously consider the new Hamilton high swirl head.
This is what I wanted to hear!

97 12v 4x4

Old 05-02-2017, 09:23 PM   #6
RacinDuallie

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

This right here. ^^^

I have one that will be put to service pretty soon. Well worth the money IMO.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
TheHammer

Name: TheHammer
Title: broke
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

good info, i'd like to see before and after results. if i had the funds i'd dyno with current stock ported head, and then one of these, same valve size/cut angle and springs. post results and specs. but nobody does such a thing anymore and if they do its hush hush. as for the industry has leaned more towards the better line of bs, then obtained facts.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
jedeka

Member`s Gallery
I heard yesterday that they are only lasting a couple years, because they are cracking. The material used to cast them is the same as stock. Is this true?

Old 05-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #9
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
The new high swirl heads have only been available for a yearish so I don't think there is enough time on them to know if they are better or worse than a factory head. I know my older Hamilton head still looks like new with no cracks, but it's only had a couple hundred dyno pulls and about 50 quarter mile passes, so I can't relate that to daily street use mileage. But so far, so good.
OEM 12v Block

Old 05-03-2017, 10:14 PM   #10
12vCumminsFTW

Name: 12vCumminsFTW
Member`s Gallery
I ran one of the older heads for a few years, When I pulled it off it did have the typical cracks like across the valve seats and what not. I just figured it was from years of abuse and egts in the 2000-2500 range.

97 12v 4x4

Old 06-18-2017, 12:13 PM   #11
OZARK FOGGER

Name: OZARK FOGGER
Member`s Gallery
I have a new Hamilton street head with the big valves going on a CR block in the next couple of weeks. We're just waiting to hear from D&J to pick up the short block. The truck has a 64/80 compound set up. I will post some et timeslips when we get it to the track.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #12
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZARK FOGGER View Post
I have a new Hamilton street head with the big valves going on a CR block in the next couple of weeks. We're just waiting to hear from D&J to pick up the short block. The truck has a 64/80 compound set up. I will post some et timeslips when we get it to the track.
Did you run that same setup before the head change? Or starting from scratch on it.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #13
jones95runner

Name: jones95runner
Member`s Gallery
My question would be, is this the new competition head for people not going to be purchasing a war head. Just say someone that already has good valves,studs and push rods. Maybe someone that even had the old style comp head. Just needing a new one for some reason. I've had the old style going one 3 years now. Very pleased with It. But for some reason say I had a bad engine failure that damaged the head beyond repair. Am I going to need to go on to the war head or will this one still support most of everyone's needs for a aftermarket head.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #14
OZARK FOGGER

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
Did you run that same setup before the head change? Or starting from scratch on it.
I'm starting from scratch as the last ime I dyno'ed was 489 horse with a single 64 charger and a 5 speed. I had head gasket problem right off(w/ 425's) with the 64/80 compounds and wanted to put in good rod bolts and get the block decked true for fire rings.
The local machine shop was behind so ordering parts from D&J and discussing the power level from the new street head it was recommmended I use a CR block. So I'm selling my 12v block and head and going with their short block. Of course this calls for bigger injectors and a 13mm pump, dang it all!
I will report how it spools on the street and the times and weight and others can decide if it does better than a fully built 12v head. With a thicker deck, bigger valves, better valve seats and larger 1 and 6 intake ports I couldnt beat the price so I rolled the dice.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #15
OZARK FOGGER

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones95runner View Post
My question would be, is this the new competition head for people not going to be purchasing a war head. Just say someone that already has good valves,studs and push rods. Maybe someone that even had the old style comp head. Just needing a new one for some reason. I've had the old style going one 3 years now. Very pleased with It. But for some reason say I had a bad engine failure that damaged the head beyond repair. Am I going to need to go on to the war head or will this one still support most of everyone's needs for a aftermarket head.
This is Hamilton's 3rd head and its factory styled with swirl ports plus other big improvements, I'm hoping.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #16
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZARK FOGGER View Post
This is Hamilton's 3rd head and its factory styled with swirl ports plus other big improvements, I'm hoping.
I understand that. But from my understanding the original competition head is no longer made. So that leaves you with the street head and the war head. My question was is the street head going to replace the old style competition head in say the 3.0 smooth bore class for guys needing to replace their head or is the war head the only head that will be used in competition from now on.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:35 PM   #17
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I understand that. But from my understanding the original competition head is no longer made. So that leaves you with the street head and the war head. My question was is the street head going to replace the old style competition head in say the 3.0 smooth bore class for guys needing to replace their head or is the war head the only head that will be used in competition from now on.

I have a hard time seeing them change the entire casting. I would think you could put the same port job on that head and rock on

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:14 PM   #18
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
I have a hard time seeing them change the entire casting. I would think you could put the same port job on that head and rock on
I'm going to call in the morning and see. I'm in the market for another now. The war head would be nice. But right now not exactly in the budget to buy everything needed to make it run. But from what hearing the street head has a oem style runner in it. Like they did change the entire casting. Not a bad thing for some people just not exactly sure what I need to do now lol

Old 06-18-2017, 09:37 PM   #19
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I'm going to call in the morning and see. I'm in the market for another now. The war head would be nice. But right now not exactly in the budget to buy everything needed to make it run. But from what hearing the street head has a oem style runner in it. Like they did change the entire casting. Not a bad thing for some people just not exactly sure what I need to do now lol

I thought the original head also had the oem style runner??

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:13 PM   #20
jedeka

Member`s Gallery
From what I understand, the original head fell between stock and a competition head. Zach went back to the drawing board and came up with the war head for competition. He took the original head design and made it high swirl for a more streetable head, but there is enough material to port it out to make it a competition heads for the rules that require a stock type head.

Closed Thread