Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
steinie88

Name: steinie88
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Does the tipm play a role in transmission control?

Truck is a 2006 with 120k miles. Some background first, the trans was rebuilt 12k ago by me using bigblues write up and an atsg manual. The valve body and rebuild kit were purchased from Muldoons and the torque converter is a dpc triple reman that I had sitting on the shelf from another truck. As far as fluid goes after a bit of reading on here I decided to use tractor fluid and type f in the transmission. Now the problem is I'm having an issue with the torque converter locking up when trans is shifted into drive and reverse and killing the engine. It's only happening intermittently though. At the same time the truck is displaying symptoms of a failing tipm such as randomly honking and flashing lights and erratic door locks. Both of these issues have cropped up in the past week. I am wondering how much control the tipm has over the transmission? Could it be causing the random lock up issue as well or am I just getting hit with a double whammy?

2015 Ram 2500 QCSB - Sold

2005 Dodge Ram 3500 QCSB SRW Smarty SSR, BD Super B over a fancied up GT4202, MBRP 5", Exergy 33% over injectors, Arson III, 48re to NV4500, Southbend 3250 dual disc - Sold

Old 11-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
Cozze44

Name: Cozze44
Title: Junkman
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinie88 View Post
Truck is a 2006 with 120k miles. Some background first, the trans was rebuilt 12k ago by me using bigblues write up and an atsg manual. The valve body and rebuild kit were purchased from Muldoons and the torque converter is a dpc triple reman that I had sitting on the shelf from another truck. As far as fluid goes after a bit of reading on here I decided to use tractor fluid and type f in the transmission. Now the problem is I'm having an issue with the torque converter locking up when trans is shifted into drive and reverse and killing the engine. It's only happening intermittently though. At the same time the truck is displaying symptoms of a failing tipm such as randomly honking and flashing lights and erratic door locks. Both of these issues have cropped up in the past week. I am wondering how much control the tipm has over the transmission? Could it be causing the random lock up issue as well or am I just getting hit with a double whammy?
I surely have never seen a TIPM cause a transmission issue. Your other issues for sure yes, but that would be a new one. The TIPM basically is a BCM, not serving any drivetrain functions at all I believe.
14 Subaru Legacy Outback - Wifes ride - 70k
02 Dodge 2500
My Build Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #3
maxwedgehead

Name: maxwedgehead
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
had this same issue once with a new 48re, swapped a new set of od/lock up solenoids in it and it fixed it.
2009 CCSB 6.7L

Old 11-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
steinie88

Member`s Gallery
10-4. I just found it to be quite the coincidence. I forgot to add that I have no codes and the fluid looks fine. i found a few threads that talk about disconnecting the plugs on the transmission amongst other things so I'm going to give that a whirl and see what happens.

2005 Dodge Ram 3500 QCSB SRW Smarty SSR, BD Super B over a fancied up GT4202, MBRP 5", Exergy 33% over injectors, Arson III, 48re to NV4500, Southbend 3250 dual disc - Sold

Old 11-22-2017, 04:31 PM   #5
steinie88

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedgehead View Post
had this same issue once with a new 48re, swapped a new set of od/lock up solenoids in it and it fixed it.
Alright, I think before I do anything I'll drop the pan just to have a look and swap out the solenoids with the dnj solenoids I've got from an old 48re.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:13 PM   #6
CowboyEdition

Name: CowboyEdition
Title: Because Diesel
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Your sure it's the torque converter locking and not that it's trying to grab two gears at the same time? I didn't think you could achieve lockup in reverse due to the way the valvebody is ported.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
DFI 5X0.014's, Standard Pump Mods
S300 VNT Turbo, Mechanically Actuated
Home-built trans with goodies
Borgeson, DOR, Bilstein and Carli Upgrades

Old 11-22-2017, 10:41 PM   #7
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Alright, I think before I do anything I'll drop the pan just to have a look and swap out the solenoids with the dnj solenoids I've got from an old 48re.
If you drop the pan, try backing down the main pressure regulator setting with a 3/16 allen wrench. I don't think you'll see any improvement with a DNJ solenoid swap. Maybe try a higher flowing older style filter from a 97' or older model 47re or 47rh.
OEM 12v Block

Old 01-15-2018, 02:13 AM   #8
steinie88

Member`s Gallery
Ended up being the lock up solenoid. Thanks for the help fellas. Now I'm gonna disappear back into the shadows and resume my role as Comp D's most dedicated lurker.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #9
ramthiscummins

Name: ramthiscummins
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Ended up being the lock up solenoid. Thanks for the help fellas. Now I'm gonna disappear back into the shadows and resume my role as Comp D's most dedicated lurker.
Why the tractor fluid?

I have always seen dec/merc III recommend.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #10
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
Thanks for posting your fix. Will be useful for a future search.

Here is a link on the hydraulic fluid.

Using Hy-Gard Equivalent? - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Closed Thread