48re No Overdrive - Bad OD piston seal

reading through the atsg maybe i had a gas od unit? it says gas has 5 frictions, a flat no stepped backing plate, and a wavy snap ring which i have all that.

reading through the atsg maybe i had a gas od unit? it says gas has 5 frictions, a flat no stepped backing plate, and a wavy snap ring which i have all that.

It may have been rebuilt already, there were alot of issues with the stepped plates cracking in the 48RE.

Made a quick spring compressor out of some old leaf shackles I had laying around lol worked surprisingly good. The direct clutches looked good. It does look like the assembly is wearing on the case toward the rear.

Attachments

• 61ADCC45-22CD-49E8-A35E-CB41103B878B.jpg
    61ADCC45-22CD-49E8-A35E-CB41103B878B.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 0
Sorry if your neck hurts after looking at my pics sideways lol here is the pics showing where it’s rubbing I believe you can see above the snap ring location on that flat surface looks to be the park pawl lugs rubbing on that? I put it back in and that looks to be the closest thing to it. Also some rubbing happening as you can see in the other pic, hard to tell you where it seems to be rubbing on the case too on the next step down from there if that makes sense

Attachments

• D6BB870B-2FE1-4313-81B9-3CBDB63E3814.jpeg
    D6BB870B-2FE1-4313-81B9-3CBDB63E3814.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 7C322856-BD89-4794-AC96-90092F5D8BD9.jpeg
    7C322856-BD89-4794-AC96-90092F5D8BD9.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 0
Maybe this will explain it better, these surfaces i believe are rubbing on park pawl lugs and the top of it what has a small chunk taken out of it. Hopefully a case shim would fix this doesn't look deep, so not sure if that was my problem

Attachments

• BB325692-F84F-4297-9182-27130630EE15.jpeg
    BB325692-F84F-4297-9182-27130630EE15.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Maybe this is just how its machined from the factory the more im measuring the nicked corner surface shouldnt touch that bottom surface

Maybe the hub was damaged last time it was apart. Dropped on the floor or something. Youd know if it was rubbing aluminum everywhere rough in the case and polished looking hard parts.

I think my case was like that.

Maybe the hub was damaged last time it was apart. Dropped on the floor or something. Youd know if it was rubbing aluminum everywhere rough in the case and polished looking hard parts.

I think my case was like that.

Thats true doesnt look like it, and i have not seen any shavings or metal anywhere and hard parts arnt polished from the aluminum.
Think im just going to rebuild with new frictions, steels, and seals. I guess only thing that makes me uneasy is not really knowing why it happened just dont want it to happen again.

Also thought this was weird on the planetary, i dont see anything in the case that would touch this

Attachments

• IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 0
I have to check on how many planets cant tell from any of my pictures. And bearing seems fine tight and spins nicely. But doesnt seem to want to come off my output shaft so just left it on

Also thought this was weird on the planetary, i dont see anything in the case that would touch this
If there isn't corresponding damage I would suspect someone reused It after failure.

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

You may be victim to some of the transmission hocus pocus that has went on. People paying for a 48RE internals and just getting 47RE stuff, or even someone paid for a billet intermediate, and just got a stocker. When the customer asked about it, he was told, "we will make it right somehow" At that point, what would you trust that guy to do anymore? LOL

Very possible lol should I upgrade to 6 od brake clutches and run the stepped plate? Reading that they can crack.

I received my parts to rebuild, but now i am worried if i should run a OD housing shim like Superior part # k0126 or goerends. What do you think of my groove, is that lower step factory?
Should i worry about it?

Attachments

• IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 0
Back