Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #1
Mightywhitey03

Name: Mightywhitey03
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Engine Build time for my 05. Which style piston should I go with?

Well, after 264k on stock injectors and fuel filter setup, I finally had an injector decide to go down. But not without doing so in a blaze of glory. Melted #5 piston, dropped a valve seat, valve met piston, broke the face off and danced around in the cylinder. Bent 2 other valves and cracked the head. Yay.

Anyway, picked up a new head, block is at the machine shop, getting ready to order .020" over pistons, and of course new injectors.
Now is the time to decide what style to go with...
Local performance diesel shop recommends going back to the 03/04 style piston and the corresponding narrow angle injector nozzles. This site along with CF has mixed reviews on which is "better"
I'm ditching the programmer I have (since it's like 10 years old) and going with a hp tuners tune, 2nd gen swap and most likely a 62/71 turbo. Arp studs, balanced crank, rods and pistons.

Here's the low down:
I don't race the truck, I don't sled pull it. But I beat the guts out of it and haul anything I can make a dollar with. I want a tune that's just hot enough to not need any cp3 upgrades. Something to make it not a sluggish turd like stock but not make the EGT's go nuclear when I'm leaning on it real hard while loaded down.

Anyway, for what I'm doing, what's the better option as far as piston/injector design goes?

Old 06-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #2
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
What is your HP goal?
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 06-27-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
Mightywhitey03

Member`s Gallery
450-500 maybe?

I'm all for living on the ragged edge in most cases. But I want this to try and live for a couple hundred thousand miles if possible

Old 06-27-2018, 03:29 PM   #4
Poulina

Name: Poulina
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Re-entrant style imo. There’s a reason Cummins went back to that style of bowl, yields a better burn. If you look at almost any other oem diesel piston it’s a re-entrant style bowl.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
Mightywhitey03

Member`s Gallery
Any idea if I'll run in to any issues with the 05 pcm and the 3rd event injection bullcrap (which I'd like to eliminate)
That's one thing I don't understand, this programmer I have is said to work with 03-05, yet 03/04 tune would have to be different than 05, if not for the 3rd event, but injector timing would need to be different, given the spray angle.
Idk. Maybe that's why so many people burn down these motors to begin with..

Old 06-27-2018, 04:49 PM   #6
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Doesn't matter what piston you choose, an injector failure will melt them.
I'd stick to the original equipment at with your power goal. Sounds like you'll keep the truck for awhile, but if you ever trade or sell it, the next guy won't have to deal with a hybrid.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:21 PM   #7
Mightywhitey03

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
Doesn't matter what piston you choose, an injector failure will melt them.
I'd stick to the original equipment at with your power goal. Sounds like you'll keep the truck for awhile, but if you ever trade or sell it, the next guy won't have to deal with a hybrid.
I completely agree with you there, on injector failure causing a meltdown regardless of piston design . I guess the only reason I questioned the Piston design on rebuild was because I have the ability to start over fresh with whatever I choose. Parts are the same price from what I gather. Just wasn't really sure if one design would put up with extended abuse with the fueling to add 200 extra horsepower compared to another, specifically while Towing.

Closed Thread