Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #61
BlackasCoal

Name: BlackasCoal
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmega3500 View Post
What lights/ codes?
It’s got the anti theft, water in fuel and abs lights on but no codes or check engine light.

Anti theft pretty sure was just the tuner turning the skim off to make sure we got it running.

Water in fuel I don’t know might have just been overlooked on things needing turned off.

ABS I’ve been chasing wires with the service manual to make sure when I gutted the harnesses I didn’t switch a wire in a plug somewhere. Could also be from me welding a truss on the rear axle. Heat may have messed with the sensor. Though I do still have a speedo.

The map sensor also show 5psi of boost just sitting not running. Swapped sensors from a known good truck and the same. So not sure of that either.

Just a bunch of pain in the behind gremlins to chase down.
07.5 MCSB, Thuren/Carli/King, 35" Toyos MT's, 17" Methods, Miller’s Machine Shop 6.4 w/ Wagler long rods, QSB pistons, 188/220 cam, Ported/big valve head, Muldoons Phat shaft 48re w/ anteater, DDP 5.9 fuel, Firepunk 66/85, Firepunk EFI

Last edited by BlackasCoal; 07-11-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #62
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinDuallie View Post
Not many will have the balls to say, I appreciate the level of detail that you have done. Please don't install any side pipes with built in steps.
I appreciate that. I try to do the best I can with what I have and know, which isn’t too much. It’s not perfect but ten times better than the hack that did some of the work before me.

And I can’t stand steps of any kind so there won’t ever be ha
07.5 MCSB, Thuren/Carli/King, 35" Toyos MT's, 17" Methods, Miller’s Machine Shop 6.4 w/ Wagler long rods, QSB pistons, 188/220 cam, Ported/big valve head, Muldoons Phat shaft 48re w/ anteater, DDP 5.9 fuel, Firepunk 66/85, Firepunk EFI

Old 07-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #63
RacinDuallie

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackasCoal View Post
I appreciate that. I try to do the best I can with what I have and know, which isn’t too much. It’s not perfect but ten times better than the hack that did some of the work before me.

And I can’t stand steps of any kind so there won’t ever be ha
Looks nice and clean. I can dig the detail you have done and approve.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #64
raychem

Name: raychem
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackasCoal View Post
ABS I’ve been chasing wires with the service manual to make sure when I gutted the harnesses I didn’t switch a wire in a plug somewhere. Could also be from me welding a truss on the rear axle. Heat may have messed with the sensor. Though I do still have a speedo.

The map sensor also show 5psi of boost just sitting not running. Swapped sensors from a known good truck and the same. So not sure of that either.

Just a bunch of pain in the behind gremlins to chase down.
Speedo will work off abs and/or trans output sensor. Just a though but the ABS module needs the VIN to be programed and matched to the ECM. The ECM you are running now may have a VIN mismatch and be causing your ABS. You did not post any ABS codes but your comment on changing ECM made me think of this. All the modules on these truck look for VIN to match for communication.

On the boost senor. You should be at 1 atmosphere or 14.7 psi give a few tenths with the engine idling. Check the 5V reference to the sensor. On the older trucks.... 06 to give an example. The 5V reference from the ECM is for MAP, Air Temp, Crank and Cam senor, and rail pressure. Make sure all the other sensors are good. You can also check the return voltage from the map sensor. Last but not least is to check your grounds. I have found many weird ground issues with these trucks over the years. I have fixed a few by going straight to ground and bypassing the ECM when needed.

BTW..... Nice clean build. Love the effort you have put in. It is all about the details!

Last edited by raychem; 07-11-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #65
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Why studs for the injector hold-downs? I think that's the first I've seen it done.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 07-11-2018, 09:10 PM   #66
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
What he said^^^

I’ve broken a few rocker hold down bolts before. Ive had the stock bolts stretch easy and snap outta no where.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:22 PM   #67
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raychem View Post
Speedo will work off abs and/or trans output sensor. Just a though but the ABS module needs the VIN to be programed and matched to the ECM. The ECM you are running now may have a VIN mismatch and be causing your ABS. You did not post any ABS codes but your comment on changing ECM made me think of this. All the modules on these truck look for VIN to match for communication.

On the boost senor. You should be at 1 atmosphere or 14.7 psi give a few tenths with the engine idling. Check the 5V reference to the sensor. On the older trucks.... 06 to give an example. The 5V reference from the ECM is for MAP, Air Temp, Crank and Cam senor, and rail pressure. Make sure all the other sensors are good. You can also check the return voltage from the map sensor. Last but not least is to check your grounds. I have found many weird ground issues with these trucks over the years. I have fixed a few by going straight to ground and bypassing the ECM when needed.

BTW..... Nice clean build. Love the effort you have put in. It is all about the details!
Thanks!

I’ll have to play around with the vin stuff. It’s very possible the previous owner could have had things from multiple trucks and somehow not have the same vin as the cab or something crazy.

I tested the supplies and grounds for the ecm when I was having problems with getting the 5.9 ecm to work and all were good. Even added grounds like you mentioned. I also bought a whole front clip harnesses and swapped all three and nothing changed. If I can’t get it figured out I’m trying to get to firepunk in the fall to have them put it on the dyno and fine tune and I’ll have to ask them to take a look while I’m there. The lights aren’t too much a bother as long as it isn’t hurting anything.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:24 PM   #68
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Interesting. What length do they have to be?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 07-11-2018, 09:26 PM   #69
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
It's some stupid torque like 40in lbs or lower, can't remember exactly. Let's just say they're about as fragile as the injector studs in my opinion.
I think my problem was I was using a bigger torque wrench where the torque for them was on the lower end for that wrench and it wasn’t enough to get it to click properly. Ever since I use a smaller one and it’s been good. Still a cheap insurance with the studs though

Old 07-11-2018, 09:28 PM   #70
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
I’m not sure the exact length for the injectors studs but the only ones I’ve seen are advertised for 5.9 injectors. Which I have in it.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:08 PM   #71
TheHammer

Name: TheHammer
Title: broke
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
It's some stupid torque like 40in lbs or lower, can't remember exactly. Let's just say they're about as fragile as the injector studs in my opinion.
44in lbs if memory serves me right vs the 11ft/lbs the studs are supposed to be.

Beautiful build. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:08 AM   #72
SixOhh

Name: SixOhh
Title: EPA unfriendly
Member`s Gallery
I am with Racin dually, i can respect the amount of detail i see here.

i am the same way with my builds, they always end up being torn down way longer than i expected, but the end result is worth it.

i cant believe all these PPL are having fluid damper issues. I cant see why the dont get a little loctite on the bolts and walk away, then again i dont turn the RPM's some guys do.

are those pics from a smart phone or a DSLR? impressive.
I have carli all the way around on my truck and i am in love with it all over again! the full rear leafs changed everything!

Are you seeing a code for ABS? i have seen several customers trucks with ABS lights on after electrical work, or sitting for a long time and then the light will go off after a few rides. have you driven it yet?
H-Town Off-Road

Last edited by SixOhh; 10-17-2018 at 07:21 AM.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:34 PM   #73
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
Thanks! I just can’t see the reason why guys spend all this money and then just throw it together. Some pics are taken with a buddies iPhone with a certain setting. I still use an older phone because I don’t really care for the latest and greatest tech stuff. But his does take some good pics.

Rear leafs are a must for the the ride. I tell guys that all the time and they don’t wanna believe it but the leafs take out that bucking feeling and give it the Cadillac feel.

The abs doesn’t come up with any codes. It’s just on all the time. And every so often the airbag light will be on.

Other than those I’ve got most everything else figured out. Fought with it being super smokey and the map sensor reading wrong for awhile. Like a constant trail of smoke while driving so I parked the truck. It was too bad to drive around. Finally just bought another c-1/c-2 harness and swapped it out and kept all but the emissions sensors and runs prefect now. All because it was missing the iat/maf sensors.

Got about 1500 miles on it now and drove it out to Rudy’s and back, about 350 miles round trip, and didn’t use a drop of oil. All three oil filters so far looked perfect when open. Only issues now is chasing leaks. Steering box is leaking so I ordered a Redhead. Front timing cover builds up a tiny drip and can’t quite see where it’s coming from so I may take the IC and radiator out to find out for sure.

Then there’s the OD housing. It has a constant drip from one of the bolts on the bottom p/s. Was doing it before it got built too but neither the builder or myself noticed anything wrong with the case. I had it off last week and didn’t see anything crack wise. Made sure the holes were clean of fluid, took a file wrapped with some fine sand paper to it to make sure everything was flat, new gasket, used white seal & lock on the bolts and still leaks. Only thing I can think of is there’s a fine crack you can’t see with the naked eye and once everything gets tighten up it opens and leaks. I think it’s only when the truck is off though. When running I think the fluid level drops below that area. The fluid level hasn’t really moved at all. Only other thing I thought was to try some right stuff instead of the gasket but ended up just ordering a new OD housing and it just came in today.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #74
5.9Jon

Name: 5.9Jon
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Clean Build Well Done. Any luck with the leaks? Sometimes a bit of Loctite 515 with the gasket will cure a seep/ leak.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #75
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
I’ve got a handle on all the leaks. Swapped in a new OD housing and new seal where the rooster comb goes through the case. Haven’t have a drop since. Had a few of the timing case cover bolts loosen and leak. So took them all out, cleaned them and put some permatex white seal + lock on them.

Just made the 650 mile trip to Ohio, saw a buddy then made a stop at Firepunk to have them dyno it. More to make sure everything tuning wise was good because of all the back and forth there was with changing ecm’s and wiring/sensor issues I had. Made a highest of 1074 which is lower than I wanted but I’m more happy it’s running finally and making good numbers. Then it made another 600 mile trip to PA

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Did have a electrical issue on both trips though. Every so often when I put up a window, turn on the lights or something that draws a good amount of power, everything starts surging. Lights, rail pressure, air dog. Only does it for a few minutes and it’s fine again. Just another thing to hunt down.

Not sure I’m happy with the cam either. Feeling a stock cam would be better for what I use the truck for.

Last edited by BlackasCoal; 11-23-2018 at 08:52 AM.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:09 AM   #76
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
No a/c as of right now. Plugs are there just not hooked up.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:26 PM   #77
mxhunter147

Name: mxhunter147
Title: Gear Head
Member`s Gallery
Man that is one of the sharpest engine bays I’ve ever seen. What are you painting these parts with?

10.58 @ 129

Old 11-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #78
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
When my ac resistor was going out it caused crazy electrical glitches.
I had the heater on that’s it though. My buddy had a similar issue with his when he’d crank it up in cold weather. The rail would just for the first few minutes. Ended up being the battery. I would be surprised if the odyssey is already bad though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxhunter147 View Post
Man that is one of the sharpest engine bays I’ve ever seen. What are you painting these parts with?
They are just powder coated but if I could do it again I’d just polish everything. Every time it chips or scratches it pisses me off. Taking the clamps off is usually filled with some interesting commentary too.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:49 PM   #79
mxhunter147

Name: mxhunter147
Title: Gear Head
Member`s Gallery
Did you powder coat the engine block and transmission case as well?

10.58 @ 129

Old 12-07-2018, 08:28 AM   #80
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
Just the trans. Engine is painted with whatever the machine shop uses.

Closed Thread