Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #7921
mpeters0991

Name: mpeters0991
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
What he said is about the same for bnsf. We call it job insurance though (I've got it). And I'm not sure about you but a big problem with the people we have as trainmasters (management) is they have never had experience on "the ground". They usually come straight out of college where they have absolutely no idea how a railroad works but a book tells them it should work this way and when it doesn't they want to get someone in trouble for it. The railroad hates promoting from the ground up in this day and age.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:36 AM   #7922
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
Turbos aren't the issue same as with the C15, once you get the IVAs disabled with a proper tune it pulls the pressure down and everything works great.
Except for their idle oil pressure issues. The CAT rep we use said there still isn't really a fix from CAT as of yet. His advice was watch oil pressure and watch idle time. I lost a little bit of respect from them on that response. Drivers these days are lucky to remember their boots in the morning. Unlikely they are going to keep an eye on anything.

I assume the reason we have had better luck with single chargers is the tune that comes along with it more so than the turbo after hearing about the IVA issue. The simplicity of the single charger is still appealing to me.

North American Turbo
Old 07-17-2015, 08:53 AM   #7923
Chrisd91

Name: Chrisd91
Member`s Gallery
Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Are C12s known for oil pressure issues? The 2 we run always seem to have lower pressure than I would expect a motor to have

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeters0991 View Post
What he said is about the same for bnsf. We call it job insurance though (I've got it). And I'm not sure about you but a big problem with the people we have as trainmasters (management) is they have never had experience on "the ground". They usually come straight out of college where they have absolutely no idea how a railroad works but a book tells them it should work this way and when it doesn't they want to get someone in trouble for it. The railroad hates promoting from the ground up in this day and age.

I have a friend who worked a year and a half or 2 years as a BNSF conductor straight out of college then was indefinitely furloughed a couple months ago. Seems like a crappy way to treat and retain employees

95ish 2500 2wd shorty p.o.s.

'12 3500 SRW CCLB 4x4 golfball

Last edited by Chrisd91; 07-17-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #7924
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisd91 View Post
Are C12s known for oil pressure issues? The 2 we run always seem to have lower pressure than I would expect a motor to have

I have a friend who worked a year and a half or 2 years as a BNSF conductor straight out of college then was indefinitely furloughed a couple months ago. Seems like a crappy way to treat and retain employees
I love the C12 for our applications. We haven't had any issues with them minus the typical wear and tear and the plastic end caps on the wrist pin at times being an issue.

North American Turbo
Old 07-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #7925
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Look and see if the upgraded C13 oil pump can be adapted

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 07-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #7926
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
Look and see if the upgraded C13 oil pump can be adapted

What is this c13 upgrade pump you speak of??

North American Turbo
Old 07-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #7927
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
Give me yo email and I will make your life easier

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 07-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #7928
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
Give me yo email and I will make your life easier

PM sent sir. Thank you!

North American Turbo
Old 07-17-2015, 03:00 PM   #7929
mpeters0991

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisd91 View Post

Yeah I was furloughed for 13 months when I first hired out back in 2008 and it sucks. They definitely show you the true meaning behind the saying "being railroaded" Where did your friend work out of?
Old 07-17-2015, 03:34 PM   #7930
Chrisd91

Name: Chrisd91
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yeah I was furloughed for 13 months when I first hired out back in 2008 and it sucks. They definitely show you the true meaning behind the saying "being railroaded" Where did your friend work out of?

Out of Seattle I believe. He moved to Seattle after getting the job at least

95ish 2500 2wd shorty p.o.s.

'12 3500 SRW CCLB 4x4 golfball
Old 07-17-2015, 04:06 PM   #7931
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad View Post
Thank you, yup cat uprated it to 470 for me. Next step will be a Single charger with tune and a EGR Delete from PDI or someone similar. But @ 7k installed for the kit. It'll need to prove its worth this fall before I do that. However it will get some bling sooner than later inside the cab and maybe a few more lights here n there. To me it's the best of both worlds @ 244". I can still maintain good ride quality while still having the ability to swing in small hate holes and do farm pick ups. Plus I love the color a lot.
DO NOT TAKE THE TURBOS OFF!! It's a collisional waste of money. Flash the ECM and drive it. 550hp to the ground all day and embarrass the stock 15L guys. Also if it's got around 500k miles and the oil cooler is original get it replaced before it comes apart. There is nothing wrong with the C13 other than the higher cost of overhauls and the idiots at Cat that decided to change rod design and are too stupid to put a matched set in the overhaul kits.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:12 PM   #7932
97$moker

Name: 97$moker
Title: Hukt on fonix wurkt fr me
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytopcummins View Post
People get "fired" all the time on the the railroad. We call it getting run off. It's getting terminated that you have to worry about. The amount of rules we have to comply with is unreal. I have to carry a three ring binder that consists of our rule book. Then you have bulletins and notices for the area you operate in and system wide they put out quarterly that you have to print and comply with. Basically it's IMPOSSIBLE to work a full day without breaking some kind of rule no matter how hard you try and it's designed to be that way. We even have a rule that states you must know and comply with all rules at all times.
Anyway, whenever somebody derails or tears something up the company's solution is to send a "hit team" to refocus everyone on safety and rules compliance. But, everyone is too worried about where these guys are hiding and it does just the opposite. The hit team is a group of managers from other terminals that show up with the sole purpose to write people up for any kind of rule violation they can find. So when you get written up the way the railroads discipline people is to fire you for however many day depending on the severity of the rule violation you were written up for. It can vary anywhere from three days to a year. Some are worse than others, what may get you fired at one railroad may get you run off whereas if you worked for someone else they may just talk to you and tell you not to do it again as long as it's not and FRA violation. CSX just loves to fire people I guess. We've got at least 25 people I know of in our terminal that are fired right now.
The insurance I was talking about most of us have is to cover us if we get fired. That way you don't go broke. You pay a monthly premium based on the amount of coverage just like any other insurance and if you get fired you get payed a daily amount for whatever number of days you don't work. Some guys I know carry as much as $500/day. So whatever you're covered for, that's how much they'll pay you every day you're fired. Sorry for the novel but takes a lot to explain all that.
Thanks for explaining that. That sounds like a ***** of a job to deal with, always worries about getting fired or anything for any stupid little thing. Its crazy that they "fire" people for days to weeks etc, my jobs are all if your fired you dont comeback, thats why I was kinda confused. That insurance is pretty cool though. Could you collect unemployment along with that as well?
Old 07-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #7933
rockytopcummins

Name: rockytopcummins
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97$moker View Post
Thanks for explaining that. That sounds like a ***** of a job to deal with, always worries about getting fired or anything for any stupid little thing. Its crazy that they "fire" people for days to weeks etc, my jobs are all if your fired you dont comeback, thats why I was kinda confused. That insurance is pretty cool though. Could you collect unemployment along with that as well?
I could if I wasn't doing this while I'm off.
4" turbo back/5" Aussies
Air Dog 150/150

Tow mirrors flipped up to piss you off
Old 07-17-2015, 09:29 PM   #7934
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97$moker View Post

It's like that at a lot of places. Seems more in the union shops. I know steel mills are bad about it. A new girl was operating a large forklift at a steel mill. They have an 8mph speed limit and she felt her lift was going faster than that (no speedo). Called her supervisor and told him about it. He had her drive it over a set distance and timed it. Found it was doing over 8mph and wrote her up for operating faulty equipment.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #7935
mpeters0991

Member`s Gallery
Thats ****ed up..... she brought a problem to their attention and got in trouble for it? That is what is wrong with management type people these days.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:51 PM   #7936
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
I would have set it on fire in front of them

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 07-18-2015, 06:44 AM   #7937
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Thats ****ed up..... she brought a problem to their attention and got in trouble for it? That is what is wrong with management type people these days.
I see both sides, either way that situation was wrong. However the unions love to push buttons so the management pushes back. I know guys that work at non union plants and they don't have any of these issues. I think it's hard for the company to get rid of people at union shops so they pick on everything they can to get dirt on employees.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:40 PM   #7938
tatersalad

Name: tatersalad
Member`s Gallery
Here she is all put together! My 2012 Wilson Pacesetter 41x96x66 Full Light Package with Extra lights on rear. Stainless front and rear, 2 rows of 9 lights with 24.5 rubber. I love it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by tatersalad; 07-18-2015 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:45 PM   #7939
Mr.T

Name: Mr.T
Title: DPF's are gay
Member`s Gallery
Looks good! I pulled a set of black Wilson's for a bit, nice trailers but they sure are heavy Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:54 PM   #7940
Mr.T

Name: Mr.T
Title: DPF's are gay
Member`s Gallery
My lightweight with that setup was right about 36,000 pounds. I could carry 70,000 pounds legally in most states we operated in, 74,000 legally in Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Alberta, and Saskatchewan. My tractor wheelbase was 21" over legal for British Columbia