Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
IC-Smoke

Name: IC-Smoke
Title: Oh SNAP!
Member`s Gallery
Have to pull the head again, what should I do this time

Im puking oil out of the front of the head so Im guessing the gasket went so Im pulling the head.

Im going to do a set of springs but what else should I do to it while its off. Maybe step up to a fire ring setup over the current O-ring?

port/polish the head?

I dont want to get too radical because I havent won the lottery and funds are budgeted.

(its on the 2001 FYI)

Im running water/meth and a +0.010 gasket... I think Ill go with a +0.020 gasket this time? good decision or not?

Thanks guys!
Ian

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
cajuncummins

Name: cajuncummins
Title: how?
Member`s Gallery
probably the thicker head gasket would be a good move with injectables, what kind of fueling setup do you have? Unless you're pushing big fuel you probably don't need to port/polish, I'd just stud it if it's not already done and do the thicker gasket

"Reality is not a choice, but the way you deal with it is" Tucker max

Old 01-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
a bone stock truck will benefit from cylinder head porting... DO IT!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
JaMan

Name: JaMan
Title: Local Hero
Member`s Gallery
Have the head checked for cracks and straightness, then have a shop port and polish it and add a set of springs. Might as well do it right the first time...err second time... or well whatever time this is.

Maybe go to large mm orings an deffinately do a 20 over gasket with the twins.

Jared

Old 01-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
JacktheBear3

Name: JacktheBear3
Title: Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
And don't forget the block deck....

Old 01-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
LAmiller

Name: LAmiller
Title: THE KT-BOUNDARY
Member`s Gallery
I blew 2 20over marine gaskets this summer... ARP studs TQ'd to 125... always had white smoke on start up and my HP went down with the 20over gasket. Put a NEW head with a 24V .010 gasket TQ'd to 140 and haven't had a problem since

I would stick to the 24V gasket unless you have decked your head a lot or are running 3500+ rpm's.

JMHO, Lavon
http://www.shop.firepunk.com

Old 01-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
IC-Smoke

Member`s Gallery
I was running the +0.010 marine with 140 torque on the studs & o-rings. Im pushing the oil out the front with no contamination of the oil or coolant.

my head had a bow in it with the highest spot being 0.005 difference from the outer most ends. Im going to check the head again for any cracks and such. but I wont know for sure until I pull it this weekend.

Ill check the block once the head is off for any variance.

fueling
7x.012 injectors, stock tubes (will go to 0.093 upon reassembly) stock lines, holley blue pusher.

I will be doing a set of springs when the head is off but would it be wise to port/polish it or will I be fine with the twins? I thought about some upgraded valves/keepers but wasnt quite sure.

Lavon, were you running water/meth with the +0.020 gaskets? any thought on why it went thru them so much and the loss of power? The smoke doesnt bother me since its a weekend toy and I have some with my +0.010 currently

Thanks guys!
Ian

Old 01-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
jktcummins

Name: jktcummins
Title: 24v GOD!!!! HAHAHA
Member`s Gallery
I would for sure get it ported and polished. I saw 150 degrees or so drop when i had mine ported. dont worry about the keepers you really dont need then unless your turning over 4000k.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
woodsrat

Name: woodsrat
Title: NEW ERA DIESEL
Member`s Gallery
whats the protrusion on the o-rings. We have had better luck with the 24v gasket also.

Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD. You want to hit it but are afraid of the consequences.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:36 PM   #10
IC-Smoke

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrat
whats the protrusion on the o-rings. We have had better luck with the 24v gasket also.
I want to say like 0.049 but I cant remember right now. they were the "larger" rings I know that but I dont remember the protrusion at the moment

if all these marine gaskets keep failing why am I seeing them put in so many trucks? do they make a thicker "stock" gasket?

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2008, 11:17 PM   #11
WICKEDDIESELS

Name: WICKEDDIESELS
Title: SUPPORTING VENDOR
Member`s Gallery
I use a Fel Pro 24 valve stock thickness hg, 0.041 ring @0.011 protrusion ARP studs@125, 6 x 0.016 injector SO pump and water meth with over 70 psi boost, holding tight. I blew every Cummins gasket I tried, 4 in all. Get some good springs and lose the exhaust valve seals.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:44 PM   #12
joefarmer

Name: joefarmer
Title: MR. Supreme Overlord
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC-Smoke
I want to say like 0.049 but I cant remember right now. they were the "larger" rings I know that but I dont remember the protrusion at the moment

if all these marine gaskets keep failing why am I seeing them put in so many trucks? do they make a thicker "stock" gasket?

Thanks!
It used to be the only way to get the wider silicone around the ports was a marine version of the gasket. Now they're all made to the marine spec.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:45 PM   #13
LAmiller

Name: LAmiller
Title: THE KT-BOUNDARY
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC-Smoke
Lavon, were you running water/meth with the +0.020 gaskets? any thought on why it went thru them so much and the loss of power? The smoke doesnt bother me since its a weekend toy and I have some with my +0.010 currently
Ian, no water/meth - to be completely fair, the first gasket failed because of a head failure. the second I still have no explanation for - new head, true block, new o-rings, 3 retorques, and the first time I flogged it I made 70psi and a big ass oil mess!

I think the HP could have something to do with the injector spray pattern being affected by the bigger gasket, or lower compression? I really don't know, but 2 yrs ago I made 484HP Dec. 1on my stock HG, Blew the head gasket in Feb., added o-rings and .020 gasket and ran on the same dyno after and made 433HP... since then I have upgraded to more fuel and air and made 582 with the .020 gasket so I'm ready to get back on the dyno with the .010 to see if I gain any HP.

Lavon
http://www.shop.firepunk.com

Old 01-22-2008, 07:01 AM   #14
dzlfarmboy

Name: dzlfarmboy
Title: Supporting Vendor
Member`s Gallery
I think with running the .020 over gasket and o rings is being sure to get some heat cycles on it and do multiple retorques to get the o rings to seat into the gasket well, and it will settle down in them.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #15
thedieselbunch

Name: thedieselbunch
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I just went thru a head removal and install on a 99. The head is port/polished and O ringed. The reason the gasket blew we because PDR didnt do the machine work correctly. I was told I installed it wrong...Head was sent to Ponci's to get it corrected which in fact he did find that they screwed it up.
The seal blew between the oil and water passages...pumped the coolant full of oil. Did 12mm Arp studs to 140lbs with multi retorques...but not enough clamp on those 51k wires at 12k protrusion. Also Brad decked the head to get it flat..he took off 6.5k to get it flat.
Anyway the head is back on with Cummins gasket and studs at 125k. Brad said that he does ALL of his retorques with the motor hot...Already done one retorque hot..Good luck!

Rick
P.S. PDR offered NO help with the head....

Old 01-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #16
Muddin_dude06

Name: Muddin_dude06
Title: ...
Member`s Gallery
I would just do a good set of firerings and torque the studs down to 135 ft lb's and use a stock thickness gasket. When you clean the block lightly sand it with some 150 wet/dry sandpaper.

Do a port and polish, it is deffinately worth it! My EGT's were slower to rise and peaked out about 200*-250* cooler (maybe more) and my smoke was reduced A LOT. I did my own, just lots of time with a die grinder and a dust mask!

If you were closer I'd say let me port it and get Joe Hellmann to do your firerings, he did mine and they have been great! I blew the stock HG within a month or so of driving with big injectors and after the new HG and firerings went in I haven't had a single problem in months!

Also make sure to get a new valve job done.
Hamilton 178/208, pushrods, PDD street springs, S362sxe/.7WG

‘12 LML crew cab swb 4x4 RC 3.5” lift with 33’s
Anarchy tune
5” exhaust w/ Jones 5050XL

Closed Thread