PCV

Poulina

positive crankcase ventilation….why is it so bad?? seems to be one of the first things people get rid of along with egr, dpf, etc…

in my case i have 150k on my short block, rings are definitely showing their age, but still runs good. I have been venting my crankcase fumes to a catch can with a breather on top of it, which works, but is going a step backwards imo.

if i were to create a vacuum on the crankcase it would seal the rings better, rid of any pumping loses from blowby, and no more smelly mess. why is it a common practice to rid of this system??

im welding a couple of these on my down pipe this weekend!!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-11189?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-vibrant-performance&gclid=CjwKEAjw_PfGBRDW_sutqMbQsmMSJAAMpUapAKDNPs42I62WOSiCJTKaIon1tDLwP0mV7jmBBze8YhoCYiXw_wcB

I'd send them back. I welded one into Bodacious and pulled from everywhere. (four valve covers, timing cover, two on the side cover, etc...

The velocity of the exhaust gas is not fast enough to create the required pressure differential to evacuate the crankcase. What you end up doing is the same thing that is happening now just gets dumped into your exhaust. If you had a hood stack, I still don't think it would create enough differential.

The reason for dumping is obvious. Check out all the clogged TDI/BMW/2.8CRD/ etc... where the crankcase atmosphere is introduced on the suction side of the turbo. These moist fumes along with the EGR create the gunk that clogs the intakes. Mans solution????... stop putting that crap in there.

Our farm equipment uses a similar idea, but they use the vacuum from the exhaust to suck dirt out of the air cleaner. Most of the exhaust pipes that use this idea have a venturi style pipe to create the pressure differentail.

I think the biggest difference is their is no positive pressure in the air filter system, unlike the crankcase. Alot of guys that run Gas pulling trucks are actually running vacuum pumps to pull the crankcase pressure, they say that by getting rid of the pressure the HP offsets the HP to run the pump.

I think you are mixing up PCV and just a vent. There isn't a PCV on a diesel as there is no intake vacuum. I would run a vacuum pump on a high HP/high boot engine.

Maybe I'll try more than just one, I believe vibrant only advertises they pull like 4hg of vacuum, so multiple may be in my future.

Last edited:
You need check valve also, most important part. No need for that fancy venturi, just weld pipe to the exhaust to 45 degree angle.

Back