68rfe intermittent 5th and 6th gears

I have a 2011 Ram 2500 6.7 HO Cummins with the 68rfe tranny and RaceMe tuner, stock tranny and I have to get it up to 65 mph then drop down to 50 mph then it will sometimes shift into 5th and 6th and pull fine then next time I can't get it to go at all. NO CODES! Next time it works great and next time it does the same thing again. Tired of it! Already got tons of money into the truck and am ready to dump it but I would like to get it to work half decent before selling. BTW the thing runs like a caffeinated cheetah!

I have a 2011 Ram 2500 6.7 HO Cummins with the 68rfe tranny and RaceMe tuner, stock tranny and I have to get it up to 65 mph then drop down to 50 mph then it will sometimes shift into 5th and 6th and pull fine then next time I can't get it to go at all. NO CODES! Next time it works great and next time it does the same thing again. Tired of it! Already got tons of money into the truck and am ready to dump it but I would like to get it to work half decent before selling. BTW the thing runs like a caffeinated cheetah!

They are decent stock trans, can’t imagine how you screwed up the OD clutches in your caffeine machine.

They are decent stock trans, can’t imagine how you screwed up the OD clutches in your caffeine machine.

That's funny. Sadly the SSV in the valve body wearing out creating Cross leaks is a much bigger cause for failures than power adders.

For example the TCC flow is immediately next to the OD clutches. When there's cross leaking the rob PSI from one another causing slips that don't register codes such as p0365 or whatever the 5th amd 6th gear ratio errors are.

Had the above happen as the OP maaaaany time before my Suncoast triple disc blew from essentially starved TCC psi from a leak in the system.... was in 4 lock coming hard out of a u turn and KABOOOOM!

That's funny. Sadly the SSV in the valve body wearing out creating Cross leaks is a much bigger cause for failures than power adders.

For example the TCC flow is immediately next to the OD clutches. When there's cross leaking the rob PSI from one another causing slips that don't register codes such as p0365 or whatever the 5th amd 6th gear ratio errors are.

Had the above happen as the OP maaaaany time before my Suncoast triple disc blew from essentially starved TCC psi from a leak in the system.... was in 4 lock coming hard out of a u turn and KABOOOOM!

The 68rfe definitely has its short comings, and you mentioned a couple of those. I built 5 of these units last week and I vacuum check before I ream, and all 5 had Solenoid switch valves worn and the two early pumps had TCC issues. That being said, when these engines are used as intended and not abused, it’s not uncommon at all to see them go 250-300k miles. Most of the time if a person catches a bad SSV it’s kicking a P0871 code before it ever gets to the gear ratio errors.

Back