New truck project

I think Cummins part # is 3941556. Call Jeff at Mumau Diesel or check with Pure Diesel Power. You need longer pan bolts, pan gaskets, etc.

Looking for a set of non intercooled pistons for this thing. I have been slow going, water main broke in the basement

I am disappointed that CompD is now the place where taking a die grinder to your pistons is considered a viable option...

Die grinder!!! What really how accurate is that???? Thought I was hillbilly for cutting pistons with a mill, instead of buying new ones.

Is taking a die grinder to pistons any worse than taking a mill or a lathe to them? In the right hands, all goes well and results are positive. In the wrong hands, parts are wrecked, and if you do it real good, fling a piston across the shop when it comes out of the chuck. One is going to take a lot more patience and attention to detail to get it right.

I am disappointed that CompD is now the place where taking a die grinder to your pistons is considered a viable option...

I used a lathe when cutting the pistons in my race truck because the pistons were out of the motor.

I used a die grinder followed with a sandpaper roll in between 20-30 measurements with calipers on the set I cut in-frame on my 300K mile used motor. There is a difference between making the most of used part to maximum performance and being a hack job.

I'm currently cutting a set of BMW pistons, and I can assure you, the die grinder will never touch them!!!! :hehe:

The lathe-cut used pistons turned out just fine:

FinishedPiston1_zps987a2e08.jpg

FinishedPiston2_zps4c4df925.jpg

FinishedPiston3_zps02432e85.jpg

The die grinder pistons turned out just fine as well. The truck is back on the road running better than ever. It has much less haze than it used to with 26* timing, I'd say it was a success!!!

cutpistons7_zps935006b9.jpg

cutpistons6_zpsc1a88dc7.jpg

Well I stand corrected. Nice work on those pistons, you have more patience then I do.

I cut mine because of the haze also, and because of my small bowl pistons with non ic injectors. Budget build other wise I would have bought pistons.

That's the thing, I have the engine apart, I won't throw stock pistons in this engine and be limited with timing. It's a budget go fast truck. I don't have access to a lathe either, that's the reason I wanna do the no- intercooled. I have decided it will start with a 2.5 single to drag race, sled pull and dirt drags.

Well terrible news. The miss just wasn't making sense to me, the pump was good, the head was sealing,everything was checking out. So I rechecked the rear bores and found the problem. #5 is .016 out of
Spec. So now I have to yank the engine and swap in my spare block. Not really what I wanted to spend time doing. Goal is May 1st to be back running

Sounds like you have my kind of luck. That sucks man I hope everything else goes nice and smooth for you

Little update. Got a set of 286210's. Engine will be going together with a decent amount of new parts.
Main studs
Arp rod bolts
Cummins main and rods
Polished crank
12v rods that are cleaned up.
Piston to wall set at .008.
Cam bores will have bushings.
Still working on funding for cam, valve train and finish work on the head. 90% of the parts I have sitting around. I am on a shoe string budget but don't see a point to not assemble with everything machined properly. I am doing everything possible that I can myself. I can't deck the head though

Back