Powder Coated Stacks

BigUgly said:
Okay guys, quick question...
I'm hoping to get black stacks semi-soon (gotta get the truck first!). I was following this thread and thinking about it. The other day in the shed, i ran across a can of spraypaint left over from an old project. It's a rustolium product for high heats, 1600*F intended for grills and stoves and the like. The one I have is in flat grey and has held up to the splatter guard on the stove top for years. Would this work in a black for bare or alumanized stacks?
Thanks;
Josiah

Yes this would work great. It would give you more protection from corrosion, because you could touch them up every spring, and every fall. I've seen some of these up close on trucks, and IMO, look very good.

crzycowboy said:
Yes this would work great. It would give you more protection from corrosion, because you could touch them up every spring, and every fall. I've seen some of these up close on trucks, and IMO, look very good.

Ditto, BBQ paint works great :)

BBD

Hey Josh, Dave from Blackclouddiesel. One of our customers from up in Canada had his 7" mitre cuts teflon coated. I don't know what he paid but I will find out if you'd like. Here is what he said about the teflon coating
'Teflon coating is good for + 600 Degrees F (think Frying pan) unlike Powder coating which is only good to +/- 350 Degrees.(even the high temp stuff). The customer owns a company in Canada that specializes in tweekin out OFF-ROAD VEHICLES.

Use this link to view the results, the truck is the second set of pic (gray with extended fender mounts.
http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/Stacks/stackpics.htm#aussie

Last edited:
For black chrome....you could try these guys www.usachrome.com I've talked with some of their customers and their work is badazz. No idea what they would say about it working on stacks.

For powder..... www.columbiacoatings.com has powders good up to or past 1000*
I've never used their high temp stuff, but have used a bunch of their other colors.

Have y'all got the black stacks worked out yet? I talked to Silverline this past weekend and they want almost $700 bucks for their 6in mitre cut black chrome dual stacks. Hope y'all would have them cheaper.

Nope sorry still no luck with finding a plater. Silver line uses smoked stainless, wich is why the cost is so high...It's an expensive process. So far most of our customers will just buy plain stacks from our distributors, and coat them their selfs. Which is pretty cheap to do.

here is my gloss black powder coated 7" grand rock stack..I bought it bare and had my powder coater do the coating....it is holding up really well so far (5 months on the powder coating) and it's still nice and glossy.

DSC_0601.jpg

DSC_0604.jpg

I have a black chrome tip on my current exhaust tip (won't say which major manufacturer it's from, but they have been mentioned here), but it started flaking within the first 2 months.

It looks good out of the box, but the finish didn't hold up.

NOW, it we could get the chrome with a good black candy paint on top of it, I think that would look pretty damn slick. Not sure if Jet Hot can do that, but that would look friggin killer.

I have a black chrome tip on my current exhaust tip (won't say which major manufacturer it's from, but they have been mentioned here), but it started flaking within the first 2 months.

It looks good out of the box, but the finish didn't hold up.

NOW, it we could get the chrome with a good black candy paint on top of it, I think that would look pretty damn slick. Not sure if Jet Hot can do that, but that would look friggin killer.

Check with a local coater, ceramic or powder, and see if they can finish over chrome. I've been told Ceramic coaters can, but for powder coating it's better to have raw steel. I'll have to see if I can find pictures of chrome stacks ceramic coated over...

Back