Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 98-02 2nd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
M249cummins

Name: M249cummins
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
thought truck blew up but it didn't, i think?

started my truck up one morning heading to work and it started like it does when its cold out, did the whole lope chug deal for like 20 seconds but it was 55 out and a tone of blue smoke came out, soo thick you couldn't see through it, straight up fog machine, after a minute it idled fine so I gave it a 500rpm rev and you could hear what sounded like a cylinder wasn't firing and a fair amount of blue smoke was coming out but not crazy thick like the initial start up.

I shut it off and check the oil and just a drop was on the tip of the dip stick, I checked it the week prior and it was good. the next morning I put a gallon and a half in it and started it and started just fine, not a single blue puff at all like nothing ever happened. I can stick my hand a few inches away from the oil fill cap and feel a fair amount of blowby fwiw. ive yet to find out where the oil went or why it started like that, that one morning.

what do you think happened and possible damage?

someone at work suggested bad fuel but I just don't agree with that.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:05 PM   #2
M249cummins

Member`s Gallery
I personally don't suspect it being a low oil issue because while low it still had oil, the light never came on and I had a solid 55psi of pressure.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #3
M249cummins

Member`s Gallery
Did it again today, bad injector?

Old 03-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #4
bobaker1978

Name: bobaker1978
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
What year truck? What motor? Injectors can fail in many different ways. I would agree that an injector is the problem. If it was mine I wouldn’t drive it until it was checked out because injectors can/will, if the right circumstances exist, ruin your motor quickly

Old 03-16-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
M249cummins

Member`s Gallery
1999 5.9 ctd, 270,000 miles
farmboys diesel 150hp injectors

I'm taking off work today to mess with it, how are some ways I could check them before completely pulling the injectors?

probable get a borescope so I can check the cylinders.

I had the head off a year ago and the cylinders looked like new so it couldn't of been a wear problem.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
If it is fuel smoke..... while it is running like chit, crack one injector line at a time and see if the smoke changes. That will at least point you to a cylinder.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #7
M249cummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
If it is fuel smoke..... while it is running like chit, crack one injector line at a time and see if the smoke changes. That will at least point you to a cylinder.
About to do that right now.

Got a compressor tester from autozone but I got a feeling it won’t fit though.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
M249cummins

Member`s Gallery
pulled the injection lines from each feed tube one by one and no difference in white/blue smoke and idle, possibly bad injection pump? need to get a scan tool and see.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #9
M249cummins

Member`s Gallery
seen bubbles and smoke in the radiator coolant, blown head gasket.

already have headstuds and o rings in the head but whatever...

Old 03-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #10
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
That sucks man. You romp on it before it's warmed up?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Old 03-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #11
M249cummins

Member`s Gallery
I don’t believe I do. Got an edge comp always turned up, 150hp injectors and a new Scheid vp with a stock turbo plugged. I’ll admit I’m rough with it but wouldn’t imagine I could blow a head gasket with a stock turbo with my setup.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:13 AM   #12
Carbur8tr

Name: Carbur8tr
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by M249cummins View Post
I don’t believe I do. Got an edge comp always turned up, 150hp injectors and a new Scheid vp with a stock turbo plugged. I’ll admit I’m rough with it but wouldn’t imagine I could blow a head gasket with a stock turbo with my setup.

This ^

You can’t expect that injector with that turbo and electronics will last any length of time without causing you some issues somewhere. That much oil loss tells me that you’re either burning it or losing it somehow and something tells me you’re more than likely burning it otherwise I think you would notice a gallon of oil on your driveway.

My bets are you blew a head gasket or and oil seal on your turbo. Have you checked your radiator and your intercooler?
01, 110lb springs, studs, Gen 1 Airdog,60/68/14 non-gated, BD intercooler,DFI 7x.009, HO*VP, Carli 3' coils and control arms, DT ProFab trac bar, Red Head Steering gear, steering stabilizer, maxx links,*08.5 steering upgrade

Closed Thread