Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
RXT

Name: RXT
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
5.9 and 6.7 questions

I have a question. A buddy of mine is interested in purchasing a hurt 3rd gen. Apparently the engine has rod knock and he tells me that he would like to install a 6.7 crank in it, if he can get it for cheap. After some discussion on the feasibility of this, and not getting into the 6.7 "Ag" crank, I know that the 6.7 as used in Dodge trucks doesn't have much additional throw than the 5.9 crank which means you won't gain much additional displacement by swapping cranks, and he would have to mill down the 5.9 pistons to clear the head…but this got me to thinking. I know the 6.7 uses larger diameter pistons, so the logical conclusion would be why not just bore out the block to accept the 6.7 pistons? Or is it not that simple? So questions. Is there enough "meat" in the cylinder walls to bore out the .20 something needed for the 6.7 pistons? And, does the 5.9 and 6.7 blocks have the same deck height?? I know it's probably easier to just use a 6.7 block, but it's more of a curiosity thing

Thanks Ed

Old 07-17-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
Poulina

Name: Poulina
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
the blocks have to have a different deck height, because all commonrail rods are interchangeable.

I would recommend using a factory crank, the work involved in using a 6.7 crank far outweigh the benefits.

please discontinue your cousin fuker talk

Old 07-18-2019, 01:08 AM   #3
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
JSYK, 6.7 and 5.9 CR blocks both use the same CCL to deck height, it is the piston pin height that differs, along with the stroke.
The ring height is adjusted in there, as well as bowl volume and shape.

Mark.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:41 AM   #4
Tobin

Name: Tobin
Title: 5.7 IDI Powaa!
Member`s Gallery
6.7 block is siamese bore.

1977 F250 RCLB 4x4 "High Boy" 12 valve, 180 pump, 5x.014, S363/S475, Goerend 47RH, NP271, 2007 D60/Sterling 10.5, 40" Toyo MTs

Old 09-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #5
Spinny

Name: Spinny
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Cylinder walls will be extremely thin trying to bore the 5.9 block. 6.7s also have Siamese cylinder walls. Hence the steam holes on a 6.7

Closed Thread