Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:32 AM   #1
Hoiyay

Name: Hoiyay
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Crankshaft mains/bearings

Two part question

1) what is that blue rubber plug looking thing in the main of the block?

Looks like a plug because it actually pops up the back of the main kinda out the side/top. Really just looks like a plug. What's the purpose for it?

2) my bearings cover a bit of the orafice on the block main. I know the top hole is smaller, I'm talking about the second, big hole. It doesn't sit square on the hole. It's offset a little. Is that normal? Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Old 12-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Those are your piston coolers and if you don't know what those are you honestly need to not be building that yourself.

North American Turbo

Old 12-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
joefarmer

Name: joefarmer
Title: MR. Supreme Overlord
Member`s Gallery
Those are block off plugs for the old style piston coolers. Yes, the offset on the oiling hole is fine.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #4
Hoiyay

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefarmer View Post
Those are block off plugs for the old style piston coolers. Yes, the offset on the oiling hole is fine.
So those are no longer used at all right? Only use the newer J-jet style for Piston cooling right?

Old 12-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
Hoiyay

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
Those are your piston coolers and if you don't know what those are you honestly need to not be building that yourself.
There's always that guy on every single forum who always says you shouldn't do it yourself, yet has no damn clue who you are, what your experience or skillset is.

You should stop trying to be a forum elitist and just help instead of being a condescending ass.

Let me give you a little background about me so you can really see how stupid that comment makes you look.

I have gone through and completed and entire technical college program on mechanics (Gas engines, not diesels). I am an outboard technical...I work in the marine industry, not the diesel industry. There was a national marine mechanic competition recently where I competed at the state level and took 1st, and moved up to the national level and competed and took 2nd over all.

Possibly I should mention too that I am the owner and lead tech of a marine shop that I opened up here. I have rebuilt MANY MANY engines from cars to outboards to some things inbetween...all gassers though.

So for you to come in here, and rattle off some half-cocked "you're too incompetent for this" remark...it really just makes you look like a twat. It really makes you look like you stuck both your feet in your mouth too when you didn't exactly have the right answer either. According to the guy underneath you, these are actually just block off plugs (which is what I assumed they were in my very first post) and the oil cooling jets are actually underneath the piston.

So please, take your cocky **** elsewhere mate. This forum is here to learn. You show me where in the service manual those blue plugs are talked about. You can't. I know you can't because I have read that service manual probably about 5 times now. It talks about the Jets, but not the block off plugs.

The people that shouldn't be building engines are the ones that don't know something/what they're doing and they dont bother asking questions; they just slam it together and go.

People that ask and learn and improve their knowledge/skills are the people that should continue to be working.

Have a good day.

To the others, thank you for helping. I talked with my machine shop and they said the same thing.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #6
RacinDuallie

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoiyay View Post
There's always that guy on every single forum who always says you shouldn't do it yourself, yet has no damn clue who you are, what your experience or skillset is.

You should stop trying to be a forum elitist and just help instead of being a condescending ass.

Let me give you a little background about me so you can really see how stupid that comment makes you look.

I have gone through and completed and entire technical college program on mechanics (Gas engines, not diesels). I am an outboard technical...I work in the marine industry, not the diesel industry. There was a national marine mechanic competition recently where I competed at the state level and took 1st, and moved up to the national level and competed and took 2nd over all.

Possibly I should mention too that I am the owner and lead tech of a marine shop that I opened up here. I have rebuilt MANY MANY engines from cars to outboards to some things inbetween...all gassers though.

So for you to come in here, and rattle off some half-cocked "you're too incompetent for this" remark...it really just makes you look like a twat. It really makes you look like you stuck both your feet in your mouth too when you didn't exactly have the right answer either. According to the guy underneath you, these are actually just block off plugs (which is what I assumed they were in my very first post) and the oil cooling jets are actually underneath the piston.

So please, take your cocky **** elsewhere mate. This forum is here to learn. You show me where in the service manual those blue plugs are talked about. You can't. I know you can't because I have read that service manual probably about 5 times now. It talks about the Jets, but not the block off plugs.

The people that shouldn't be building engines are the ones that don't know something/what they're doing and they dont bother asking questions; they just slam it together and go.

People that ask and learn and improve their knowledge/skills are the people that should continue to be working.

Have a good day.

To the others, thank you for helping. I talked with my machine shop and they said the same thing.
might I suggest you having a Snickers bar?

Old 12-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinDuallie View Post
might I suggest you having a Snickers bar?
Touchy huh .

Old 12-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #8
Hoiyay

Member`s Gallery
That was me being relax....****.

Just don't talk **** when you don't know ****...how about that?

Old 12-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #9
rdix7991

Name: rdix7991
Title: Grumpy
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
That was me being relax....****.

Just don't talk **** when you don't know ****...how about that?

It’s ok.

We were just testing you. Just be sure to use punctuation and proper English and you can build any engine you want.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #10
Hoiyay

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdix7991 View Post
It’s ok.

We were just testing you. Just be sure to use punctuation and proper English and you can build any engine you want.
😀

Old 12-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #11
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
2 threads asking technical questions about Cummins engines and you blew up at someone in under 5 posts.
Go buy a Cummins Service manual.

Mark.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #12
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
He's new here. I'll cut him some slack. I literally read nothing past "Let me tell you". I just hope this engine is going in a 10 second first gen.

North American Turbo

Old 12-13-2018, 07:10 AM   #13
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
Went back and skimmed through that book you wrote.

Maybe you should spend more time reading and less time patting yourself on the back. Here is the section of the service manual you should probably be looking at. You would have seen it assuming you actually measured the crank journal bore or the crank with a mic.

Click the image to open in full size.

North American Turbo

Last edited by zfaylor; 12-13-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:25 AM   #14
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Oh, this is good.

Headline reads

"Tech has some schoolin', starts own shop."

To hell with OTJT.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 12-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #15
Hoiyay

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
2 threads asking technical questions about Cummins engines and you blew up at someone in under 5 posts.
Go buy a Cummins Service manual.

Mark.
How many threads do I have to post before im allowed to post technical questions? Would you like a picture of my truck? My dog? My wife? She's got huge melons!

Why do you think I came here? Clearly I came to seek information and learn. I didn't come here to have some Joe blow start talking to me like I'm incompetent. You mention I only posted twice. That's also the bare minimum he knows about me.

I see it almost everytime I go on any forum. Whether it's asking what color I should paint my truck, or some in depth technical question....there is ALWAYS some jackass that swears you can't even put gas in your tank without full master ASE certification. It never fails. Prime example here. First post I make, first response I get. Makes it worse that my educated guess, was actually exactly what I thought it was. Just tired of these internet forum elitist. You don't know **** about me or the skills I have or don't have. I know my skillset and knowledge. And when there's something im not positive about, I like to learn to make sure. I don't do things half ass'd. I spend more time being meticulous and measuring and mic'ing, etc that probably 90% of people do. So yes, it's frustrating to get stupid remarks over a simple question. Just stop being an asshole. Either help, or move on.

You can get the forum Monday mentality and point the finger at me for using big boy words, but the reality is if you actually unbiasedly read my other post, and this one...you'll see I actually make some points.

Anyways, I have a service manual...I have stated that.

Unfortunately, the picture you posted isn't pulling up on my phone and I won't have computer access til later.

Here's what I have in my manual for anything crank related. Just posting that because you said it would be there if I measured my crank. Which, yup...sure as hell did that too.

I'm going to guess we have different service manuals ...maybe yours is older I'm guessing, and mine is newer and no longer talks about them. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #16
Hoiyay

Member`s Gallery
Here's my numbers...just since you think I don't measure anything.

Because I measured, I found what would have been a fatal flaw. Turns out my bores weren't honed all the way. Only had about 1.5 thousand Piston to wall clearance. Had to take block back and picked it up yesterday. Sitting about 6 thou now. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #17
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
Mine is directly off of Cummins Quickserve as of this morning.

I am impressed with the measuring. Keep up the good work!

North American Turbo

Last edited by zfaylor; 12-13-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #18
Hoiyay

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
Mine is directly off of Cummins Quickserve as of this morning.

I am impressed with the measuring. Keep up the good work!
Appreciate it.

I'll have to pull up your picture on the computer today.

I think I may have the Dodge FSM. It was like a 9,000 page manual. It is strictly for the 2006 Dodge trucks. It covers all the gassers and all the Cummins, even the 8.3 and all the transmissions too.

Thought it was pretty good, but I can guess the Cummins would be more thorough. I tried to find a Cummins but couldn't find one for free.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #19
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
You’re letting the old timers ruffle your feathers. Keep your cool and don’t gloat so much. You’ll fit in just fine.

Solid questions with good answers.
Is this a stock rebuild or performance build?
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 12-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #20
joefarmer

Name: joefarmer
Title: MR. Supreme Overlord
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
So those are no longer used at all right? Only use the newer J-jet style for Piston cooling right?
Correct. I think someone tried both and posted here with a decent failure.

Closed Thread