Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:01 PM   #1
UNBROKEN

Name: UNBROKEN
Title: Ezekiel 25:17
Member`s Gallery
FTRL questions

Are all the class rules finalized ? If so, where can I see them ?

Also...if it's single turbo/no drugs/5000 lbs...who has the quickest and fastest truck out there right now ?

Old 06-20-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
GotBoost

Name: GotBoost
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
While trying to pin down rules that everyone could live with (impossible ) we decided to keep it simple and as it was when it was first started. The rules are as you said. #2 only/ single turbo/5000# min. They are posted on the DPM website.(www.dieselperformancemotorsports.com)

As far as who is the fastest, us and Phil Taylor are running a very close race. Our best E.T. on #2 only is 11.97 @ 112 mph. Phil I think (chime in Phil if I am wrong) is a 12.02 and I don't remember the mph. However, the last 2 official FTRL races we ran, Phil has beat us due to some new traction issues we seem to be having now that the summer is here and the track temp is so hot. Phil is 4wd and has a traction advantage in this kind of heat. We are working on it though. Our newest member, Mark Thompson is very close behind us and is also 4wd. He ran his truck for the first time in Bowling Green and placed 2nd. Others that race with us are in the mid 12's.

If ever warranted, we would like to add an index class of around 13.50 so that David and others can also race with us as opposed to just bracket racing. But we need more trucks to make this happen. For now, we still meet once a month at Silver Dollar Raceway.

Thanks for the interest, we hope this will continue to grow. See ya in Indy!

Amy

Last edited by GotBoost; 06-20-2006 at 11:05 PM.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:19 PM   #3
Dockboy

Name: Dockboy
Title: Comps BFF
Member`s Gallery
See, this is why I suggested power adders by wieght!!

I would love to run heads up with you all....but with almost 3000lbs on you.....I can't do it without help

Old 06-21-2006, 12:06 AM   #4
Burner

Name: Burner
Title: slow poke
Member`s Gallery
I'd like to see a 7,800lb + class for us plus plus sizes.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
DavidTD

Name: DavidTD
Title: DPM
Member`s Gallery
I'd like to see as many that want to race be able to. But here is the delima.

Everyone likes heads up racing. But nobody wants to race heads up if they don't have a chance to win. So, like dockboy says, power adder for weight. So how much power per pound? Who can verify the power and weight?

It's hard to find "rules" that make heads up competitive between so many configurations of trucks. This is why there is bracket racing.

And index racing controls that performance limits, yet allows racing to be heads up.

A good example is the in this heads up FTRL class, a low 12 second run has won it everytime. This could be an index class of 12.0 and be open to many more trucks. Power adders wouldn't matter because 12.0 is as fast as you can go.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:00 PM   #6
UNBROKEN

Name: UNBROKEN
Title: Ezekiel 25:17
Member`s Gallery
I soooo want to agree with you, David...but I just HATE bracket racing with a passion.
You're right though...creating classes that keep everyone happy is nearly impossible....so brackets have their place.
A 12.0, 13.0, 14.0 index, etc could bring out a lot of people that wouldn't run otherwise.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:58 PM   #7
Dockboy

Name: Dockboy
Title: Comps BFF
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNBROKEN
A 12.0, 13.0, 14.0 index, etc could bring out a lot of people that wouldn't run otherwise.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-22-2006, 06:51 AM   #8
touch racing

Name: touch racing
Title: PBR me ASAP
Member`s Gallery
I also like the idea of the index class. Not only is it a means to level the field but it also controls money.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:55 AM   #9
Slick

Name: Slick
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Everything would be a whole lot simpler and more exciting(heads up), IMO if the drag-racing could be setup like sled-pulling in DHRA.(Which is extremely competitive)

You could have two or maybe three completely heads up classes:

2.5 Inducer(maybe), or you could keep bracket. This could also be a stock charger class as well, I guess.

2.8 Inducer-Take the place of quick diesel.

Pro-Street

This would be really similar to the Work Stock, Street Stock, Super Street, and Mod classes that the pullers use.

I know some have said that tech. would take too long, but the sled-pullers don't seem to have a problem, and you have to tech for other things anyway...
Rancho 9000X Shocks, Fabtech Pitman/Idler Arms
275/70/16 Toyo Proxes/Eagle 186s
285/70/17 BFG AT KOs on H2s

Old 06-22-2006, 07:30 AM   #10
Amish Elegance

Name: Amish Elegance
Title: Schadenfreude
Member`s Gallery
Here's an idea to shoot at.

Wuh, bout this...
Single charger, unlimited power adders, fat or skinny as you came through the gate. (if you hate spray/pane, ditch that part. Spray is the poor mans power adder. (no dig on anyone with it))

Have the three index Classes... 12, 13, 14 sec. If the field/track dictates, shift the indexes up or down. Each class runs to a finals. Then race all classes together, staggered tree, with the class index as the dial in. Closest to the index in their class gets the bye run(or add another index class).

Heads up index racing for everyone, with one winner.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:45 PM   #11
turbothom

Name: turbothom
Title: dobro slide boy
Member`s Gallery
I thought the weight was 5500 lbs. That's what I understud Jeff to say.

Oh well.

..PT..

Old 06-22-2006, 02:55 PM   #12
GotBoost

Name: GotBoost
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbothom

Oh well.

..PT..
It was finalized at 5000 lbs and that is what David has posted on DPM. But as you well know, as I said before, IMPOSSIBLE to make everyone happy. That is why there were never ant "real" rules or additional classes made. We had this discussion on the garage for weeks. But I was pushing hard then for exactly what you guys are talking about now and it was to no avail. I will however add that the main reason we quit trying to develop this into any other classes was for lack of participation. We had many who "said " they wanted to race and when the time came we had VERY few to show. It is hard to organize a racing league without participation. And even harder when you are asking the track to give us time to run these classes and giving us our own lanes and then we have poor turnout. Nobody takes us seriously. But I still have big hopes that we can in time grow this thing into something that is fair for anyone who enjoys to race.

Amy

Old 06-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #13
BMDMAX

Name: BMDMAX
Title: Evil Twin to I'gnt McNugg
Member`s Gallery
What everyone seems to forget is that index racing is not bracket racing. You will still run on a pro tree, you won't give buslengths to a truck running an 18 second 1/4 mile and you won't have to change your dial in all the time. You just get capped on how fast you can go.

Show up at the track and run as close to a 12.0 as you can and still be a better racer than the other guy in the other lane trying to do the exact same thing.

There are tons of 10.9 index classes at tracks all over the country that get huge draws, this could be the same thing.

2005 LLY D/A 2WD. KD Headlight Booster, KD 4/5 Exhaust, Suncoast Stage V, KD EFILive Tuned.

LB7:12.2@112 #2 Only 11.92@115.62 #2W/N20
LLY: 471HP & 990 TQ 13.58@100.57

Boosted!

Truck Website

Chasing 11's Video

Old 06-22-2006, 09:42 PM   #14
Powerstroke Racer

Name: Powerstroke Racer
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbothom

Oh well.

..PT..
Seems like the Cummins guys need a weight break

Ain't that a turn of events when a lowly 7.3 has give the Cummins a 500lb weight advantage
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
Diesel Innovations Online Performance Diesel Products!

Old 06-22-2006, 10:22 PM   #15
PaCemkr86

Name: PaCemkr86
Title: Diesel Tech
Member`s Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke Racer
Seems like the Cummins guys need a weight break

Ain't that a turn of events when a lowly 7.3 has give the Cummins a 500lb weight advantage
hehe, you got a point David

Closed Thread