Paint color for heat dissipation

Nothing, I just wanted something with a drain. I seem to have to drop the pan more often than I like, so the drain would be a nice luxury. And I can't have the truck down for any extended amount of time, so I picked up that cheap chrome pan with a drain, which was advertised at 1 3/4" deeper than stock, and figured win/win. So I just screwed this whole thing up right from the start. As soon as I get the cash, I'm getting a derale 1587X to throw in the bed, and removing the one in the stock location, as it can't keep up with city driving.

I would leave the front one and put one down stream from it! That's kinda what I wished I would have done on mine. I'm thinking about plumbing it in this winter.

I would leave the front one and put one down stream from it! That's kinda what I wished I would have done on mine. I'm thinking about plumbing it in this winter.

I thought about that too, but I'm afraid the cooling ability will be degraded trying to push through

8' of line--> through front stock cooler --> 15' of line --> derale cooler in bed --> 7' of line back to the trans

Those are estimates on hose length of course, but I figure it should be close. Just seems like a lot of stuff too push through.

But it's not much more then from tranny to heat exchanger to cooler back to tranny. Just moving the line from tranny to heat exchanger and putting it somewhere else.

I think you are splitting hairs. Heat dissipation in a factory style pan chrome or not is negligible. Let it do it's job keeping the oil where it belongs. Working on additional cooling if needed.

Yeah I am, but I get worked up about simple things pretty easy, because it's something I may actually have the intelligence to do. And because I'm cheap.

But I lucked out. I further inspected of the pan, it's not chrome. Just polished very well, and actually pretty stout. Not quite as heavy as the stock pan though. I just threw it on with the new gasket, torqued it around and around about 10 times until the gasket seemed to stop crushing (with one hand so I didn't over torque it), and filled it. Not leaking yet.

Old gasket seemed fine upon inspection, not sure why it was leaking all the way around. All I can think of is that because it leaked before, I didn't take it off and dry it. So by tightening the bolts back down, that oil on the gasket kept it from sealing tight and allowed it to keep leaking.

I know thats off topic now, but this thread seems pretty much dead anyhow. Unless the title gets changed to trans fluid cooling.

Last edited:
Back