HE351 or a 62/65 over a s475

SWCR

Ok guys which one would you guys recomend for the setup i want....

-Fast spool
-Reliable
-650 hp, but if i wanna crank out 700 i dont want dp issues

Im at 5000+ft, will be ran with 200-250 injectors

i have a buddy out in utah that ran a he351/s475. he said he loved it.

id be tempted to try the he351/s475, maybe with an external gate.

Run a bigger turbine on the secondary than the 62/65 or the 351, get it to flow and drive the primary.

I run an HE351cw over 475 on my CR, and I love it. It spools great and runs clean. I'm not sure how it would react on the 99 though. On my HE351 I drilled out the waste gate to something like 1 1/8" and it keeps the egt's fairly well in check.

Again, with a CR, probably runs cooler than the 12 or 24's, but I can tow fairly heavy (6-8k) without turning the Smarty down.

EGT's at the end of a 1/4 mile run with mine are around 1350*

Was curious, wanting to build a set of twins that are suitable for towing and also have a lil power. Maybe a 475 might be a lil big?

Run a bigger turbine on the secondary than the 62/65 or the 351, get it to flow and drive the primary.
How will that effect the spool? how big are we talking about?

I run an HE351cw over 475 on my CR, and I love it. It spools great and runs clean. I'm not sure how it would react on the 99 though. On my HE351 I drilled out the waste gate to something like 1 1/8" and it keeps the egt's fairly well in check.
Ya ive heard about the wastegate.... also heard polishing out the housing will work.

I know the 24v run alot cooler than the 12v because of the better head. Ive never had a high egt problem

How does the 351 over 475 do with towing?

Was curious, wanting to build a set of twins that are suitable for towing and also have a lil power. Maybe a 475 might be a lil big?
Thanks for not hijacking:rockwoot:

Hahahahahahahaha. Sorry bout that..you can go ahead and fix ur panties now! Wont say another word! Plz continue with the original topic!

I run the he351 over an s475 i made 705 on the dyno but it gets a little hot my truck is in the shop right now im going to do a 64 over a 480. I would say go with at least a 62.

Hahahahahahahaha. Sorry bout that..you can go ahead and fix ur panties now! Wont say another word! Plz continue with the original topic!
My panties are just fine!!! Might wanna find TowingDiesel.com.... this is COMPETITION Diesel.com:stab:

I run the he351 over an s475 i made 705 on the dyno but it gets a little hot my truck is in the shop right now im going to do a 64 over a 480. I would say go with at least a 62.

705 on #2 only? Thats not bad i wouldnt wanna put anything more to my stock bottom end. I can always put a 62 on top if i ever get hot or have dp issues.... same hot pipe anyways

I agree, i would run a 62mm but with the bigger turbine. I dont know from experience, but i would think that stock 351 wouldnt be very efficiant with the tiny turbine and exhaust housing. On the other hand, I think a 64mm would be a little laggy and probably run hotter. Again, i have zero personal experiance with common rails, but i have several friends with them.

62 for sure-
he351 will be alittle to small for 200+ nozzles

he351= 650 max

62 for sure-
he351 will be alittle to small for 200+ nozzles

he351= 650 max
Ive seen guys get 700hp with a he351 on top, so a healthy 650 sounds pretty easy to make with the right fueling.

Whats the specs on the he351?

I run a he351 over a gt4202 w/g. Tows like a dream and egts are well in check under a pull or on the dyno. It dynoed 644hp and 1340tq. Very quick response on the street and runs clean.

What size is that Garrett?? What your DP like.... im seeing people around 650-700hp so im guessing thats where that air is good to.

I love hearing everyone has good spool up, coming of a single this is a big one for me

Ive seen guys get 700hp with a he351 on top, so a healthy 650 sounds pretty easy to make with the right fueling.

Whats the specs on the he351?

I have one sitting on my bench, threw the calipers on it and:

Compressor wheel 60mm x 85mm depending on where or how you measure, the flat back part of the compressor wheel is actually about 87mm across, but the blade tips only reach to about 85mm.

Turbine wheel 65mm x 58mm. I commonly see the turbine wheel listed as 60mm exducer but no matter where/how I measured, I could only come up with 58mm.

Exhaust housing 9cm open throat.

Wastegate hole/bore 21.5mm or 0.847".

Compressor cover inlet standard 4"

Compressor cover discharge 2.75" hose-type.

Back