Project ugly duckling

Dazed&Confused

Surfing my own world
Well been working on my 83 half ton conversion. It's powered by a 93 VE Pump Cummins and a 518. The pics are in order of progress since day 1 till today. Still a long way to go.

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

Donor truck
CIMG0031.jpg

dodge3.jpg

Thats bad azz, I love it, always been liked the older short beds, guy in my area did one in a replica of a AAR Cuda, talk about a sharp truck.

Ok since I'm actually at a computer and can type easier. I used the gas crossmember and all I had to do was mod the driverside of the crossmember were the mount goes. On the diesel it has a slot in the crossmember on the driverside but the gas doesnt. The gas crossmember has a hole and a dimple where the engine mount goes. All i did was drill the dimple out and then cut the small area out to make it a slot if that makes sense. I used the main part of the 93 518 crossmember and the leg pices off the 83 727 crossmember since the frame on the gas truck is not as tall as the diesel. I still have to mod the 93 core support to accept the 83 grille and trim. I'm eliminating the factory trans cooler and running my large aftermarket cooler. I still need to pull the cab off to drill the holes for top crossmember for the trans. I also want to pull all body to paint the frame when I get the time.

Well been working on this some more trying to get it road worthy. Still have a long way to go but making progress when I can.
CIMG0018.jpg

CIMG0027.jpg

CIMG0054.jpg

Going to run 15x10 8 lugs on the dana 70 for now with stock hubcaps. Trying to give it that sleeper look.

Well she is just about road worthy finally. Still looking for a 9" to put under the rear eventually. I need to get it registered and a few little thing to get it ready to drive.
CIMG0032-1.jpg

CIMG0030.jpg

She sits the way I wanted now and after the front end mods doesn't bottom out anymore. It's not much but it's my little toy.
CIMG0043.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes the simple projects bring the most to you. Enjoy it! Looks good.

Thanks guys. I'm ready to get all the little bugs worked out once I get it on the road. It should do good on fuel being so light. Plans for later are a 9" with a 3.07 or 2.91 gear ratio and a 47rh. Then start adding power and restore the body on it. Be a nice street toy no one suspects I hope.

what is your budget on the paint? Maybe a dark silver or very light blue?

Are you going to put wheels on it eventually?

good looking truck, keep the pics and updates coming

Well the original plan was to keep it a sleeper. Something I can take out on the weekends and play with but still drive back and forth to work. Then of course the other part of me wants a slick little hot rod truck. This is the hood I plan to install. I will be doing all the body work with help of my uncle and dad since we have done some award winning cars before. If I keep it a sleeper it will stay brown and might end up with the hubcaps on it to make it look like a little old mans truck. Now if I go the other way it will be the light blue GM used in 67(Marina Blue Metalic paint code FF) with some white graphics on the RT hood and side. It will either get a 9" eventually or a 5 lug converted Dana 70/71. Want to run a 307 or so gear and found a stock 89 rear I may get.

72-93 Dodge Truck R/T Hood
Wheels like these
http://www.jdwheels.com/images/Boss/Boss%20338%2018x8%2018x9.5.JPG

Or go old school and run Halibrand Replica wheels.
http://www.jdwheels.com/images/m/mSS%2015x10.JPG

Last edited:
man i would do that blue or a gun metal grey with those wheels.. that would look bad azz to me and run as good as it looks..

I need to make up my mind if I'm going to back half it or not. Think it will stay more of a street toy at this point.

Back