The tale of two virgins!!

nike

"Can't have nothing!"
Virgin #1- 95 3500 4x4 auto ext cab. 110k on the odometer. Virgin pump, truck was owned by a old man. Truck has mostly been sitting the past few years and needs some TLC.

Virgin #2-is my younger brother, an Army helicoptor tech currently stationed in South Korea for the past year. He is set to arrive home in a few days and will be stationed in Savannah, Georgia for the next 6 months.

The Tale: This will be my brothers first diesel ever therefore I'll be doing most of the work/planning. Im I'm planning on slowly building this truck to 500hp as he earns the fund (Uncle sam doesnt pay him too well). We will get to the details on that later in the thread. I plan to update this thread as we progress with the truck.

The bad- A/C doesnt work. Motor has a non A/C belt currently installed. How hard is it to replace a compressor? Also, the vacum pump may be going out as both the brake and ABS light came on during my 1 1/2 hour drive home. Idles way too low, easy fix. Mainly just a bunch TLC. Has a few unfound leaks but he is very excited about the truck and looking forward to his first build. I will get the younger brother to post and introduce himself.

Did they make 3500's w/ 3.55 gears in 95?

Im having trouble posting the pics, I was only able to upload this one to photobucket. I can email someone the rest if they will post them in the thread for me!!
IMG_20110718_212706.jpg picture by fkschuler - Photobucket
:thankyou2:

The brake and abs lights always come on, its a dodge thing. I took the bulbs out lol. Good luck on the ac cuz I have no idea but somebody will.

A compressor is an easy thing to replace. 4 bolts hold it on. Of course you'll have to get the AC recharged too.

An ac compressor is not that bad to change its just four bolts. Had to change mine a few weeks ago.

Awesome! Looks like a nice truck.

All you need to do to post pictures is just copy the IMG code and paste it on here.

IMG_20110718_212706.jpg

It's hard for a young guy to stay a virgin in Korea. Good for him! Those girls are nasty!!
CompD Mobile Device

It's hard for a young guy to stay a virgin in Korea. Good for him! Those girls are nasty!!
CompD Mobile Device

I can only attest to his virginity in the diesel community, What's happens in Korea, stays in Korea, unless Ajax didn't get it off! LOL

ABS and Brake light is most likely the speed sensor on the rear diff or trans/T-case tail housing. Did the speedo jump around any when it came on? Compressor is easy to fix but have the system checked for leaks as Dodge's have a problem with their evap cores leaking and the dash has to be torn apart to replace it.

Nice looking truck....I'd love to find one just like that but a 5spd real cheap right about now. LOL

ABS and Brake light is most likely the speed sensor on the rear diff or trans/T-case tail housing. Did the speedo jump around any when it came on? Compressor is easy to fix but have the system checked for leaks as Dodge's have a problem with their evap cores leaking and the dash has to be torn apart to replace it.

I dont recall the speedo jumping around any actually. I'll check again sometime this weekend. Im assuming its the compressor but am uncertain. I will get the system checked for leaks as well.. I sure hope its not the evap core as the original dash is still in immaculate shape!

Any other small things I should be checking on this truck before he heads from TX to Georgia in it?

Ok.. So I got to work on the truck for about 15 minutes tonight...

Problem #1- The dash light went out on me driving it home from the PO last week. I stopped for fuel and when turning the light back on, the dash lights quti working. I thought it was going to be just a fuse. all fuses look good. When checking the headlight switch, I found this..
IMG_20110724_191605.jpg

Notice how the wires are stripped wrapped together.. :bang PO did have at least a pyro gauge in the truck at one time.. Which leads me to my next question.. WTF is this??
IMG_20110724_191624.jpg

Sorry for these questions.. Im learning as we go here.. At least I figured out how to post pics now.. LOL Any suggestions as why the dash lights arent working? Probably the switch???? I plan to tear into the ABS issue later in the week.

OK. Need some help here guys. Replaced the headlight/dimmer switch and still have no dash lights. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm in need of a manual badly....

TIA

UPDATE: I got the idle adjusted for the time being.

Replaced the headlight switch with no change but I do have a replacement wiring harness that should cut out the unidentified switch. I will get that taken care of tomorrow.

Some other small things to do but Sean is home and we have started!

Future plans: 500hp, how we get there- unknown! LOL

the headlight switch burns out. it's a somewhat common problem. you will need to get a new switch and the accompanying wiring to fix it.

check for leaks in the vacuum harness that can cause the abs/brake light to stay on. test by turning on the hvac and if the mode only goes to defrost, then you have a vacuum leak.

Back