stupid shift kit

Sabbath5.9

Neato niceo airplane glue
Ok so. I just did my rack plug, put a hybrid 35/40 on, did a transgo shift kit. So this past weekend at diesel nationals, I. Ran 15.2 @ 97.3mph. ( I can't get traction at all) so yesterday. Cold start my truck. Start driving. After about a mile I come to a traffic light, stop, then hit the gas to go. It only rev'd. Hit the gas slowly again, it brought the rpms a little then started moving. After about 5 mins of driving. It was fine driving from a stop. But now what I noticed is, the shifts aren't as firm, when the convertor is locked up: and I tstart to get on it and it will come unlocked and bounce off the governor. ( when before the convertor always stayed locked. So I call transgo, they said there diesel kits are only met for 500hp, and I know I problay don't have 500 hp. So what do you guys think it is? The trans is all stock except the shift kit. And I've had it in for 2 weeks prior to this past weekend

Sounds like a pressure leak. DId you check fluid level?

Maybe the vb bolts loosened up a little or something else came loose in there.

fluid level is right where it was when i installed the shiftkit. so you guys think its valvebody related and not TC?

if there was two much line pressure dont you think it would shift firmer then its been doing. on the way home from work, you barely felt the shifts. then for about 5 minutes it shifted like it use too until i got on it. it unlocked and started acting up

Do you have a gauge to put on it?

If high line pressure was affecting it then it would be starting in 3rd.

Did you install the better Borg warner soleniod? If you drop the pan again i would do that.

1. It sounds like low fluid, double check the fluid level.

2. Install a 150-200psi pressure gauge on the middle port of the passenger side (accumulator port) with a long line so the gauge can be seen while driving. Watch the gauge and see where it hovers at idle, pressure at each gear shift, pressure during lock-up, and finally pressure when in overdrive. Report back your pressure numbers.

3. If the fluid is full but the pressures are not right, it's possible that the valvebody bolts are coming loose and valvebody itself is loose and causing pressure loss.

4. The main reason why transgo said their kit is designed for 500HP or less, is because the pressure spring in the kit is not stiff enough to create more than about 165 psi line pressure with the screw fully maxed out. If you follow the Transgo instructions and only go with "4 turns for major horsepower" you end up with about 135 psi line pressure. Add a stiffer spring or a second smaller spring inside the transgo supplied spring and BINGO 200 psi line pressure, all set for 700 HP.

Last edited:
just curious, whys no one leaning towards torque convertor? its the stock one with 117k miles on it. and i guess im going to have to drop the pan to check the bolts.

ill start with the fluid level and the checkin the bolts.

and i guess im going to have to get another transgo kit becasue i no longer have directions or the springs due to my friends are retarded and threw them out

and yeah i put in the borg warner solenoid. ( out of the 48re trans)

my transgo kit is "maxed out" and i measure 150 and it cant go any higher. i also have a problem with shifting at times and even slipped 3rd at times. best mod to help remedy this was adding a resister at the pcm to fool computer it had lower pressure and that took away stacked shifts but not completely. oh and a bw governor solenoid

Unless the converter is physically broken, I dont think its your problem...

It sounds to me like the transmission is being starved of fluid. I would pull the pan, check for shavings/sludge, change the filter and see if that gets you anywhere. My guess is that you may have some clutch material clogging the filter... Or a loose VB/pressure leak as someone else stated.

As soon as this rain stops ill know. I've changed the filter everytime I dropped the pan. 4 times. And this filters problay got 900 miles on it? There was never any sludge or clutch material ever so. I'm leaning towards the valve bodies loose. ( that's what I'm hoping for at least) but how often does that happen

As soon as this rain stops ill know. I've changed the filter everytime I dropped the pan. 4 times. And this filters problay got 900 miles on it? There was never any sludge or clutch material ever so. I'm leaning towards the valve bodies loose. ( that's what I'm hoping for at least) but how often does that happen

It happened to me the first time I built the transmission in the Junker Drag Truck.

I'm pretty thorough/careful when doing mechanical repairs. I take my time to double check bolt tension, springs, alignment, etc. And my valvebody worked it's way loose in just 6-7 miles. In fact, two of the bolts had completely backed out and were laying in the pan.

Veryyyyyy interesting. Stop rain stop!. I mean its shifting at the same rpms. Not as firm. And lock up still holds the convertor locked. But not like it use to.

Veryyyyyy interesting. Stop rain stop!. I mean its shifting at the same rpms. Not as firm. And lock up still holds the convertor locked. But not like it use to.

It's also possible that the line pressure spool valve got hung up in the valve body and it's no longer holding full line pressure.

Low line pressure = soft shifts and slippery/shuttering converter.

Put a gauge on the dang think already..... Amazon $5 [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Industrial-Tools-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B0000AX8MH/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1316816506&sr=1-6"]Amazon.com: Northern Industrial Tools Air Pressure Gauge - 1/4in. Inlet, 200 PSI: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MQ7AMOPcL.@@AMEPARAM@@41MQ7AMOPcL[/ame]

Amazon $7 1/8 NPT fitting and nylon gauge tubing [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sunpro-CP7554-Nylon-Tubing-Kit/dp/B00029JW6M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1316816301&sr=8-4"]Amazon.com: Sunpro CP7554 Nylon Tubing Kit: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZZBVCJ5GL.@@AMEPARAM@@41ZZBVCJ5GL[/ame]

For $12, you can have nice tranny pressure testing setup. If you want to buy the stuff locally at Autozone, I'm sure you can get everything for few bucks more.

where did you mount or just hook up your pressure gauge? if im gonna put a gauge im going to always want to watch it

Back