Delivery valvesprings

rick stark

Diesel Dummy
I'm sure it's from my inexperience as to why I don't know this but in the October issue of Diesel Power (page 113 for those of you that have the magazine handy) it has a picture of these delivery valvesprings and says that it is a part of the Garmon Power Package. It says that they are longer and what looks like more stout. My question is what is the advantage to this and is this a common upgrade? Better yet I would like to know what exactly it is they do as well.

It removes an item that prevents wear on said spring, common sense would say not a wise decision.

If the spring wears, where does the worn spring debris go?

The few people I've talked to about delivery valve springs, they all said it makes delivery more crisp, cleans up some of the smoke, and makes more power. I personally have tried this modification so no first hand feedback.

If the spring wears, where does the worn spring debris go?

The few people I've talked to about delivery valve springs, they all said it makes delivery more crisp, cleans up some of the smoke, and makes more power. I personally have tried this modification so no first hand feedback.

huh?

I have not seen this article yet but have heard about it. Can someone link a picture (if possible) and explain what is removed to keep wear debris from the spring from getting into the pump?

The few people I've talked to about delivery valve springs, they all said it makes delivery more crisp, cleans up some of the smoke, and makes more power.

Common sense would tell you that injected fuel decreased. Bosch does use a flat style compression pin that does not directly open the delivery valve holder in some P3000 applications. When you remove the compression pin, which opens the valve in the holder, the spring will either wear against the wall of the holder, or the internal valve itself.

This is also the concept behind a smaller diameter delivery valve, it is more responsive and creates less smoke, yet overall it does flow less than the 8mm counter part.

There was a thread on CF a couple weeks ago about this, Garmon got on and tried explaining. If I recall correctly the idea is you also increase the pop pressure of your injectors and it's supposed to increase overall injection pressure.

If I recall correctly the idea is you also increase the pop pressure of your injectors and it's supposed to increase overall injection pressure.

For one, you can only change the opening pressure of the injector @ the injector. A higher spring rate could raise pressure, but it is commonly known to increase pressure you must restrict flow. And again, I believe this could be done in a better fashion.

For one, you can only change the opening pressure of the injector @ the injector. A higher spring rate could raise pressure, but it is commonly known to increase pressure you must restrict flow. And again, I believe this could be done in a better fashion.

I could've worded that differently, when I said that I ment the injectors have to be changed to work with his delivery valve springs. And that's really all I know about it. What I've learned about it came from this thread on CF.

Power upgrade kit in this months Diesel Power mag - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Last edited:
The issue with inceasing OP much over 300BAR and higher outlet pressure of the P7100 is increasing wear on parts, the CR fuel system was designed with this in mind.

When you remove the compression pin, which opens the valve in the holder, the spring will either wear against the wall of the holder, or the internal valve itself.

This makes sense but why does the pin need removed to use these longer springs? I know we have discussed this before just trying to make certain I have a clear understanding.

The compression pin doesn't need to be removed. Either way, I would not recommend changing the compression springs. When a larger holder is used with no internal valve, the flow decreased, and therefore the outlet pressure increased, different method same result.

Back