Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 11:45 PM   #1
joefarmer

Name: joefarmer
Title: MR. Supreme Overlord
Member`s Gallery
How Brandon solved his fuel system.

I updated the fuel system in the 12v over the last few weeks while I waited on DTT to return my converter. The only thing stock is the plastic lid on the fuel tank which includes the rollover valve and the sending unit electric connection.

The pickup is 1/2" pipe and the return is -6AN. The inserts are machined from 6061 aluminum 1.5" round stock. The 1/2" pipe goes through the insert and connects to a -10AN bulkhead. Then to a -10AN hose and a 100 micron stainless mesh filter to the Aeromotive 11108 marine pump. After that it will go through a water separater and 3 micron filter on a Cummins filter head (from Chris aka Signature600). Then -8AN hose to the p-pump.

A -6AN return line from the p-pump goes into an Aeromotive 13105 regulator and the stock injector return line is plumbed in before a -6AN return line takes it back to the fuel tank.

Here are the pretty, big pictures:
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:01 AM   #2
Cummins Express

Name: Cummins Express
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
looks good

hey dont buy any an fitting til you check with me I have 4 tubes of used fitting from when we cut up some airplanes acouple years ago

Old 07-30-2007, 01:54 AM   #3
WUnderwood

Name: WUnderwood
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
here is a dumb question for you:

are those built for a gas or a diesel application?

looks great!

RIP BFD99, jponder, and Forrest Nearing

Old 07-30-2007, 02:06 AM   #4
joefarmer

Member`s Gallery
Thanks George! I bought a ton of hose and fittings last week, I should I have talked to you first!

Quote:
are those built for a gas or a diesel application?
What did you mean by 'those'?

Old 07-30-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Bobcat698

Name: Bobcat698
Title: Pure Diesel Power
Member`s Gallery
Nice looking!
Only 1/2" pickup?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
Schoust

Name: Schoust
Member`s Gallery
Hey George I will be doing my trany soon do you have the size I need for that application? Ithink it might be 10an I'm sure it's 5/8 steel line...

Old 07-30-2007, 09:23 AM   #7
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Looks AWESOME Brandon...did you make enough for me??

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 07-30-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
Cummins Express

Name: Cummins Express
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoust
Hey George I will be doing my trany soon do you have the size I need for that application? Ithink it might be 10an I'm sure it's 5/8 steel line...
I dont have much in the way of pipe to to an but I am sure I have a ton of #10 fitting let me know how many you need

Old 07-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
joefarmer

Member`s Gallery
Thanks again for the compliments. I figured 1/2" ID pickup would be enough. It's the same ID as -10 hose and definately much bigger than the 3/8" OD factory pickup.

Yes, Chris, I made extra fittings to go in the tank. Plus, I have some of the aluminum stock left over that I can machine.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #10
partsguy662

Name: partsguy662
Title: You know damm right
Member`s Gallery
How did Brandon know he had a fuel system problem? (Partsguy would like to know)

--Scott
COMPETITIONDIESEL.COM

Old 07-30-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
RCCX

Name: RCCX
Title: Need a sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Have you had a commonrail tank out to see if your pickup would work on the newer trucks,if it will work you got an extra you want to sell?

Special thanks to Chris@Relentless Diesel
www.relentlessdiesel.com

Special thanks to Joe@hellmann Performance
www.hellmannperformance.com

Old 07-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #12
joefarmer

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy662
How did Brandon know he had a fuel system problem? (Partsguy would like to know)
After a too many Smilin' Bob commercials I was convinced my stock tube was too small. Also, I was told I needed more fuel to keep up with the tweaked 180 pump that just got put in.

I saw the thread on the 04.5+ pickups, I don't think it will work. However, I copied Vulcan Performance on the basic design of this one (only mine's bigger with -10AN) and it wouldn't be right to sell it anyway. http://www.vulcanperformance.com/ if you need one for your truck.

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/ser...2%84%A2/Detail

Last edited by joefarmer; 07-30-2007 at 03:44 PM.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #13
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefarmer
However, I copied Vulcan Performance on the basic design of this one (only mine's bigger with -10AN) and it wouldn't be right to sell it anyway.

Good thing you owe me, then!

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 07-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #14
Bobcat698

Name: Bobcat698
Title: Pure Diesel Power
Member`s Gallery
I see, I ran a 5/8 draw straw, 5/8 hose to my A1000, then -10 to my dual -6 feeds into the pump.
Nice setup though!

Old 07-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #15
JOHNBOY

Name: JOHNBOY
Title: ZF6 Sled Puller
Member`s Gallery
Nice setup Brandon!

I have give thought to using a A1000 myself. I actually have one hear for my gas junk. I did not use it because I started to get worried about it returning too much fuel from the bypass regulator and causing low fuel issues like foaming. Where did run the return line off the regulator? Did you just "T" it back into the return of the pump or run a seperate line? Anyone running a setup like this have any issues with it when the tank is below 1/4?

I ended up with a Holley HP150 and a non bypass regulator. It has worked well but I still just dont trust it.
Originally Posted by Gale Banks
My answer to the guys with nitrous........Get a better job........make some more money so you can learn to turbocharge!

Old 07-30-2007, 09:47 PM   #16
mech2161

Name: mech2161
Title: I have a secret.
Member`s Gallery
Johnboy I've been running that setup for over a year. When the low fuel light comes on you can see the pressure gauge start to bounce in the turns.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:54 PM   #17
JOHNBOY

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mech2161
Johnboy I've been running that setup for over a year. When the low fuel light comes on you can see the pressure gauge start to bounce in the turns.

Thanks Kevin.

I looked under truck a bunch and never noticed it. I just got wooried because I know of some that have issues below a 1/4 tank with setup that use a seperate return like the FASS. I always pull with low fuel in the tank so do not want to have an issue.

How did you plumb your return?
My answer to the guys with nitrous........Get a better job........make some more money so you can learn to turbocharge!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:59 PM   #18
mech2161

Name: mech2161
Title: I have a secret.
Member`s Gallery
It goes into the factory return from the fuel bowl. The fuel bowl is caped off. One thing to watch is how much is returned. If it dumps directly over the pickup it can airate the fuel. I used a bulk head fitting in the top of the factory pickup with a 5/8 tube. -10 to the pressure pump then -8 to the fuel bowl. The returns from each head go into the regulator then back to the tank via the factory return.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:34 AM   #19
JOHNBOY

Member`s Gallery
Thanks again Kevin

The pickup I made has 10AN outlet and it has stock style return also. All the aftermarket pickups I have seen did not have a stock style return. Which means the return is just pissing in from the top of the sending unit. I did not like that so I made my own with a stock style return to the pickup. Works great so far. I was thinking about "T" ing into the stock return. That would put all the fuel back in the pickup. I also thought about running the bypass return to the in side of the pump. I have seen tractor guys do that. Kind of getho but it seems to work.

I want to swap out the Holley and whatever I do, do the same to the wife's 07. That way I can scarf parts of it if needed. Plus I want to put 5um and 2um Wix filters in line because the GM filter price is stupid!

Old 07-31-2007, 01:30 AM   #20
joefarmer

Member`s Gallery
The return is a separate line from the regulator to the top of the tank. I kinda worried about the fuel foaming, I figure I'll find out if this way works soon enough. The 1/4 tank problem is because the stock sending unit has a trap door built into it that catches fuel when it's low. Eliminate that and you're stuck sucking the fuel that you can get to the pickup. I originally thought this would be a problem, but I normally fill up before I get to 1/4 tank anyway so I'm not worried. If needed, I can attach hose to the return inside the tank and direct it's output where it needs to go. I wouldn't return the fuel back into the pickup, I think that means warmer fuel, which is what I wanted to avoid.

We're doing a 45psi FASS for a Stage 3 CP3 from John @ FloorIt this winter on a Dmax. Hopefully I'll remember to take pictures on how to plumb everything, it's gonna be messy.

Closed Thread