5.9 gone now 6.7

zukgod1

Old fart
Well my 5.9 decided to eat a couple pistons.

Not to long ago I had read a thread about someone that had swapped in a 6.7 in place of his 5.9 so I decided to start looking into it.
I figured it was going to cost a min of $4500 to go through the bottom end, $2500+for the Injectors I would need and at least $1000 for head work. That's $9k and I don't have a cam or gaskets still.

So I found a 6.7 with 30k on it for $5000, had my ARP's put in it along with a new mls HG to be safe and was $5300 out the door. Utah Diesel Center is awesome! Cam is just about as excited about this swap as I am.

Anyway, found out I need a turbo also as the original one was chewed up from chunks of pistons going through it not to mention it would be WAY small on the 6.7.
Bought a 62/68,12 (i know I know thats still small)and a good 2 piece manifold and started swapping parts.

I used the 6.7 intake, CP3 and all the 5.9 sensors, looked like the 6.7 stuff was the same but to be safe.
My 5.9 had a Jake brake I wanted to reuse so I had to modify the brackets in a couple places. The vac pump needed a little more clearance under it for the rings on the 6.7 cp3 Mount and I had to clock the can on the exhaust to clear the firewall so I hope it works Ok at that angle.

The 6.7 intake is 3.5" vs the 5.9 @ 3" so I picked up a couple mandrels in 3.5" so I can rebuild the cold pipe from the intercooler to the intake.
Thought about just spending $200+ on the oe part or getting one from S&B but can't wait so I'll build.
Reused the adaptir from the 5.6 as the 6.7 plate is thicker, using the 6.7 flex plate though.

Got it all in today and had to do some swearing to get the turbo mounted and still need to hook up the down pipe in the am.

Turned the key and was able to get it to Pop but no fire, the fuel system on the 6.7 was empty but hopefully the fass will help her it primed.
Batteries charging till morning and I'll get some pics up as well.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Glad it went together for you. But get that Turbo swapped out ASAP to a t4 in a 66 or larger compressor.

Your going to enjoy a 6.7 compared to a 5.9.

I seriously considered gong bigger with the turbo but I've done that in the past and not been happy. The elevation I'm at (4500) just doesn't like large chargers.

And my overall theme is to get some at least 100hp tips then add a secondary charger like a s475. I think at that point the 62 will be perfect for towing which is what I do most of the time.

Your stuck In the mindset of a 5.9. You have a 6.7 now. You can go with a . 72mm and daily drive it no problem. A 66mm is nothing to spool. Trust me. And a t3 housing is most definatly too small and creates high drive pressures. Although it will work. Just not prefeeered. And don't put twins. You'll most likely throw a rod threw the block. A 6.7 moves a ton of air compared to the 5.9 due to larger bore and longer stroke.

Last edited:
I keep hearing that as to the size.

Guess I'll see what happens and if I need to go bigger I can always sell the 62.

Just fired it up this morning, what a sweet sound by far to hear it running once again.

What did you use for the injectors and the head, the 5.9's or 6.7's?

If something happens to mine, this is what I will be doing. I would probably look at an S467 for the turbo though.

Truck is a 07, engine is a 09

Back