Intake cut off; porting intake advice

Ghostman

24v crazy
So here's where I'm at so far
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376617248.523022.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376617265.099526.jpg

I've got it rough cut off and am needing some advice on porting the intake side of the head. I've got the exhaust side and bowls under control; just not sure how far I can open up these intake ports. How thick is the casting around the push rods? How much can I remove and where should I? Should I focus mainly on raising the roof?

Thanks in advance.

i want to do this so bad. nobody i know seems to have a mill big enough though.

i want to do this so bad. nobody i know seems to have a mill big enough though.

I used a 7" metal cutting disc on my skil saw to make the rough cut. Gonna throw it on the mill to finish it off. Should need a huge end mill. I think I will be able to do it with the 7/8" I have.

Usually it's the short side radius(aka floor) that needs work. I don't think there is much to gain further up the port. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong

I bet when you get a nice manifold built for it you will already have a huge improvement.

Usually it's the short side radius(aka floor) that needs work. I don't think there is much to gain further up the port. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong

I hear ya there, but it seems that I can reach the floor(short radius) fairly easy from the bowl. I'll take another look at it. Maybe I'm not going far enough. Appreciate the advice.

I got one quote for a 0* flange only, but it seems high. Any recommendations on people who sell just flanges?

Anyone care to shed some light on the subject. Going to try to tackle most of this over the weekend.

I have no experience in this, but it's cool to see somebody doing this on their own, and interested to see your results. I guess if its being milled, being true isn't that vital. I've seen some guys using cement saws to chop it off lol. I think I'm going to send my head to shane at motorsports diesel to get the head milled off, ported, polished, and one of his sheet metal intakes made up. I'd rather know it's done right vs. Me just taking a stab at it. I wouldn't feel I'm capable of getting it all done uniform and correct.

I have looked at the joker fab. They are more affordable than most, and look decent.

If you feel you aren't capable it is probably best to just send it off.

It still seems that most of the good intake work can be done from the bowl side, especially without knowing exactly how much material can be removed.

I did it myself. Yours looks good. Mine was the first one I've done, so it may not be the best. More than anything else I just kind of cleaned mine up. I would love to find a junk head and just slice it up to figure out how far I can actually go.

Back