Truck-Lite 5x7 LED headlights

jimbo486

I had seen a mention of these lights on DTR some time ago and more so recently as discussion increased. A few guys had bit the bullet and bought a pair but we hadn't seen any pictures or word regarding the install. I saw a video on YouTube of a guy who put them in a Jeep and they looked really good! So I bit the bullet too. A somewhat pricey one at that. $360 for the pair through Drivetrain America and that was the cheapest I could find. Even Amazon was asking $220 each!

FedEx delivered the lights late this morning. These are sturdy lights with an aluminum housing and polycarbonate lenses. With a short pigtail and a 3-wire H4 male connector, they plugged right into any vehicles harness that uses the H4 lights.

I was able to start installing them later in the afternoon. I first had a new headlight switch to install. After putting the dash back together and checking function of the switch and lights, I started tearing into the front end.

First. Here's a picture of the SilverStars I had been running for years. It was overcast and light enough outside but you can still get an idea.

7e6uqava.jpg

You will have clearance the headlight buckets as the LED housings are a little deeper. I didn't get a picture of this but I can later. All that needs to be done is to either remove some of the metal in the lower half of the opening the plug protrudes through or do what I did. I made 2 - 1/2" vertical cuts about 2" apart and bent the material inward which turned out to be plenty of clearance. Onto the important part; pictures!

epyrutud.jpg

Low beams
sy9e8u8a.jpg

High beams plus my Rigid D2's.
3uvenady.jpg

Approx. 20 ft. away. Ouch!!
e5uba5ut.jpg

esypy6ar.jpg

Inside view with low beams on.
aha2ave9.jpg

Inside view with high beams and Rigid D2's.
yremude6.jpg

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4.

Last edited:
Those look cool. Might be a nice upgrade over my current setup

They may be the coolest mod I ever did to my truck!!!!!

At least the only ones worth mentioning in my sig!!!

I've been wondering what these were like, always nice to to be able to see where I'm goin.

I've definitely noticed I can't really see much. When I had bumper lights it didn't really matter, but after the bumper got wrecked it got pretty hard to see sometimes

O'reilly auto parts sells some "upgraded" lights for our trucks... then run like $20 (which is crazy high for me to spend on lights, not sure why...it's just hard for me to do). Anyways, my lights are every bit as bright as any other vehicle I've been in now.

They are not NEARLY as bright as these led lights in the picture above though. I'm just a cheap ass when it come to headlights. If it doesn't make it go faster, or last longer......it's not going to get upgraded.

Last edited:
Very cool, I live in the middle of nowhere so it would be handy for animals but damn that's a price tag!!!

Very nice. Thanks for putting this together. What is the reflector design like? I.E. how hard is it on the eyes of oncoming drivers?

--Eric

Very nice. Thanks for putting this together. What is the reflector design like? I.E. how hard is it on the eyes of oncoming drivers?

--Eric

On the Dually D2s and the Rigid SR 10" light bar I have on the car, they are not any more obnoxious than those god damned HIDs in Halogen ballasts.

--Eric

I assume you're asking about the Truck-Lite reflectors, correct?

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4A.

I assume you're asking about the Truck-Lite reflectors, correct?

The LED headlights you just installed...I currently have an HID kit that seems to be quite obnoxious to other drivers. I'd like to eliminate that if possible.

Thanks, Eric

The reflectors are split into 2 halves. The upper half is for low beams while the lower is for high beams. They don't seem to be obnoxious to others I pass. Compared to the D2's... People would constantly flash their high beams at me with just those one alone! I'll get a picture of the low beams on themselves from a distance.

Here are some pictures I took before I left work.

Close up of the reflectors.
e2u3e2a3.jpg

Standing directly in front. The buildings are roughly 70ft. or so away.
zete2enu.jpg

Now standing upright at the buildings in the previous picture and looking at the truck.
nunuzuma.jpg

Same location as above, crouching looking directly into the beams. I just might aim them a little higher.
qu6umaqy.jpg

I really like the pure white color from the LEDs too! I wonder what these would do of I wired them through relays? The SilverStars were almost white but the color temp was low enough that there was still a slight hint of yellow in them.

Last edited:
Those are pretty sweet. It's awesome when stuff like this comes available/found for these old trucks. We all know how much it sucks to drive a cool old truck, but not be able to see squat at night.

Thanks. They definitely look like they'd work better than my HIDs...as least as far as light scattering is concerned.

--Eric

Those are pretty sweet. It's awesome when stuff like this comes available/found for these old trucks. We all know how much it sucks to drive a cool old truck, but not be able to see squat at night.

Sorta brings it into the 21st century giving it a "new truck" look from far away. Haha

Well, I got a pair of the LEDs as well. They look like a very good quality product, and are made in the USA. They are definitely an upgrade from the HIDs I had...the cut off is defined and crisp, and the light is where you want it. Visibility is great.

--Eric

Back