Doing some interesting stuff thought I would share

bdp

beans diesel performance
Bought a 6.7 on the cheap pretty much brand new. I am breaking it all down and comparing with 5.9 stuff.

Attachments

• waugh 6.7 001.jpg
    waugh 6.7 001.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 209
  • waugh 6.7 015.jpg
    waugh 6.7 015.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 186
  • waugh 6.7 003.jpg
    waugh 6.7 003.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 198
  • waugh 6.7 004.jpg
    waugh 6.7 004.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 137
The rails and lines are larger and lines have larger ID. Exact same head, injs are same as of sits in the head, cross tubes are same length but have a different detent ball and have larger passages. The manifold is t4, turbo has 61.5mm inducer. CP3 is slightly larger but not by much. The pics of the head gasket is side by side then overlayed, same except for bore is bigger on 6.7. The 6.7 is also a different gasket, like a 4 layer instead of a 5.

Just thought I would share some points of interest. :poke:

Attachments

• waugh 6.7 011.jpg
    waugh 6.7 011.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 104
  • waugh 6.7 009.jpg
    waugh 6.7 009.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 119
  • waugh 6.7 008.jpg
    waugh 6.7 008.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 95
  • waugh 6.7 007.jpg
    waugh 6.7 007.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 96
  • waugh 6.7 012.jpg
    waugh 6.7 012.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 89
  • waugh 6.7 013.jpg
    waugh 6.7 013.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 144
Looks like they changed up the cp3 case. Looks like same gear pump though.:doh: Went through and enlarged what they had to to deliver just enough fuel. That's OK....my 5.9 fuel system still makes that one look tame.

Got any pic's of the fuel rail and how it mounts?:pop:

Dont have a pic but it bolts directly to the intake plenum cap.

Hey Bean,

Not sure how far you guys want to take the 6.7, but I highly suggest you put some rods in it The dang things bend around 900 and fly out of the block over 1000. Just a heads up to save ya some cash in the long run Man.

The pistons were even lightened up the second go round and it still came apart.

Don, you have got to give us pictures of that. That, and just how long have you been messing around with these motors?

LOL. The first one bent the rods this spring. About a week later after the engine was put back together with new rods and lighter pistons it basically EXPLODED!!! Pieces of the rod came out of the block so hard and fast that it removed the power steering pump from the engine on the way out.:rockwoot:

The big engines spool turbos really well!!!

Blue, I think he's talking about Richard Brown's truck. He's the one that's been messing with them.

silverbullet said:
Blue, I think he's talking about Richard Brown's truck. He's the one that's been messing with them.

Bingo, we have a winner!

Now that's awesome. You've really gotta give us pics of a busted 6.7L. Yes, I love carnage. LOL

Richard, what brains are you running this motor with? 6.7ECM, 5.9ECM, or just Bosch controler??? Have you tried a twin set up or BIG single??

thats good info Don, I havnt gotten down to the rods yet but I was curious about that knowing Reb blewem out before. What is he doing for rods now? I could put in a 5.9 crank and old forged rods but would loose the stroke that I really wanted to keep. We are gonna have to talk inj for this thing, big air needs big fuel.

Yeah, we were surprised they went back to the 03-04 style piston. The other motor had 03 brains on it. The rods are pretty much the same for the 5.9 and 6.7. The 6.7 just has too much stroke for the stock rods at high hp. I don't think there is any pics of the window in the block. It was bad though.

It did have a big turbo in it and the 6.7 liked to spin it. The injectors were pretty cool. Don made a set for that motor.

Reb's 1,200 hp motor is just a stock short block 5.9L with over 50,000 miles on it (never taken apart except for the head). These motors handle the abuse very well.

At a 1,009 hp the rods bent. At 1,075 hp they broke. 1,200 hp on the 5.9, everything seems good. Go figure.......

Last edited:
Piston speed is too fast. Rod is too short. Wrist pins need to be mounted higher in the piston for a longer rod.

Last edited:
Boy I can't wait to start seeing people really figuring out these 6.7's. It's gonna be a whole new ball game.

WUnderwood said:
beaner-
you buy a wrecked 6.7? where did you get it from?

just wondering

dont tell me SpecialK wrecked his new truck ??

Back