Compound help, 12 to 1400HP

I realize this is comparing apples to oranges in a way but the GTA42 based turbochargers from the 60s detroits and c12 cat engines, as well as the GT47 and BTG75 based turbochargers from the 3406E, C15 engines I get in are typically completely trashed. I have 20+ cores of each with bad turbine wheels, compressor wheels, or both. In the big truck world garretts tend to be so so. I have zero failures out of the s410 borgs and K31 borgs that replace the models I mentioned. While it is hit and miss on survival of the turbines in the garrett units. Is this not the case for the pickup performance world? Didn't miniwheat toast a couple of garrett turbine wheels early in the year?

edit: this is posed as an honest question for knowledge as I am dumb on garretts in the performance world.

Last edited:
The newer SX430 seems to be trashing the thrust in no time flat according to a friend of mine that uses quite a few of them, also had a couple with a broken shaft, most of these were the most up to date turbos with the billet wheel.

The GTA turbos you are talking about are also stub shaft turbos, not really even close to a dual ball bearing GT42 or GT47, the 47 is also under turbined on the 3406E/C15 apps, those engines should have always had GT50s on them.

No I'm not. My 595 also has the 1.45 a/r turbine housing and I'm not worried about spooling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Erick (Brown) bent the shaft on his 362 after all the 1000+rwhp dyno runs he did, but his also wasn't wastegated. I think with a gate you'll be ok.

I've got a turbosmart 60mm gate. Hopefully it's enough lol.

I know Erick (Brown) bent the shaft on his 362 after all the 1000+rwhp dyno runs he did, but his also wasn't wastegated. I think with a gate you'll be ok.

Maybe that was part of the silicone hose the s595 chewed up and spit out haha

What was the setup ?

Just wondering what all the fuss is about the thrust bearings on a secondary...
As a single, that compressor wheel is being shoved out of the cover....pressure one way.
As a secondary....it has pressure on both sides of the wheel...reducing the amount of pressure trying to push it out of the cover.

Am I miss leading or not understanding something here?

Just wondering what all the fuss is about the thrust bearings on a secondary...
As a single, that compressor wheel is being shoved out of the cover....pressure one way.
As a secondary....it has pressure on both sides of the wheel...reducing the amount of pressure trying to push it out of the cover.

Am I miss leading or not understanding something here?
I think you are looking at the wrong side of the turbo.

Atleast that is the way I'm seeing it.
I'm sure 70+ psi drive pressure would be torture on a secondary.

I think you are looking at the wrong side of the turbo.

Atleast that is the way I'm seeing it.
I'm sure 70+ psi drive pressure would be torture on a secondary.

As a single, if your drive pressure was 70 psi, you have 70 psi trying to push it forward, out of the housing...as the blades are grabbing air. (The turbine wheel is pushing the entire rotating assembly forward from the exhaust pressure.)

If it was a secondary, it still has the 70 psi one one side pushing it forward, out of the housing, but you also have 30+ psi pressure from the atmosphere charger pushing the compressor wheel back into the housing...

70-30= 40psi...trying to push it forward...

Last edited:
I just got my truck fired up tonight. Have a few things to finish tomorrow then it will be ready for a road test. Supposed to be nice here this weekend so I will take it out for a drive and see how this 595 works on the street.

As a single, if your drive pressure was 70 psi, you have 70 psi trying to push it forward, out of the housing...as the blades are grabbing air. (The turbine wheel is pushing the entire rotating assembly forward from the exhaust pressure.)

If it was a secondary, it still has the 70 psi one one side pushing it forward, out of the housing, but you also have 30+ psi pressure from the atmosphere charger pushing the compressor wheel back into the housing...

70-30= 40psi...trying to push it forward...
I think your missing my point. How often do you see smaller charges running well with drive pressures higher than that as a single? I don't see it being any different than with compounds in a sense.

Smaller shafts, smaller bearings can only take so much stress.

I just got my truck fired up tonight. Have a few things to finish tomorrow then it will be ready for a road test. Supposed to be nice here this weekend so I will take it out for a drive and see how this 595 works on the street.

Let us know how it works.

What are your definitions of "smaller secondary"?

The S366 commonly used in some big horsepower setups runs the same thrust and journals as an S300g...

It doesn't work like that, high drive pressure will create rearward thrust loads, compressor surge and abrupt shaft speed reduction will create forward thrust loads.

I realize this is comparing apples to oranges in a way but the GTA42 based turbochargers from the 60s detroits and c12 cat engines, as well as the GT47 and BTG75 based turbochargers from the 3406E, C15 engines I get in are typically completely trashed. I have 20+ cores of each with bad turbine wheels, compressor wheels, or both. In the big truck world garretts tend to be so so. I have zero failures out of the s410 borgs and K31 borgs that replace the models I mentioned. While it is hit and miss on survival of the turbines in the garrett units. Is this not the case for the pickup performance world? Didn't miniwheat toast a couple of garrett turbine wheels early in the year?

edit: this is posed as an honest question for knowledge as I am dumb on garretts in the performance world.
GT47 with 75mm compressor and stub shaft makes 880 hp all day long from 16 litre Scania engine and same charger with 68mm compressor made about 800 out of 16 litre Volvo.

It doesn't work like that, high drive pressure will create rearward thrust loads, compressor surge and abrupt shaft speed reduction will create forward thrust loads.

Would an upgraded thrust help with this issue? This is off of my HT4.

72707B4E-1F1A-42EA-A24E-8A07404C055E_zps60bsbnto.jpg

My s598sx drive very well on the street. Spools extremely fast for how big it is.

Back