Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #1
lawnboy01

Name: lawnboy01
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
2017 PPL Limited Pro Stock Diesel rules

Limited Pro Diesel 4X4 Truck (3.0)
1.​​Maximum weight 8000lbs.
2.​The OEM chassis is mandatory. The vehicle must retain the full OEM chassis. Wheel tubs, back- half conversions, tube chassis are prohibited. Maximum wheelbase 158” and 102” maximum width (outside tire to outside tire.) Rigid suspension allowed. Hydraulic steering is allowed.
3.​The body must be an OEM truck body, including the complete OEM floor pan and must retain complete OEM firewall. Complete bed floor, hitch is allowed to protrude thru the bed floor w/minimum amount of floor removed. No flatbeds permitted. The body must retain the full sheet metal, aftermarket steel hoods are permitted. The hood must be closed and securely latched while hooked to the sled.
4.​​Maximum engine size will be 460 cubic inch. Engines must come from factory in one ton or smaller diesel pickup truck. Engine must remain in stock location as intended by manufacturer. Engines may be interchanged between manufacturers.
​​​a. ​No aftermarket blocks permitted.
b.​Head must be OEM or OEM one piece cast replica for that brand engine. No billet heads of any material. Outside dimensions of cylinder head must measure factory width and length. Head must retain OEM valve angle.
5.​​Front of engine block can be no farther forward than 17” of center line of front axle.
6.​​Engine must have cable surrounding block and head. Cable must be minimum 3/8” diameter located between cylinders #1 and #2. Cable must pass thru manifolds. Cable will have 4-6” of slack with a minimum of 4 cable clamps at splice.
7.​​All engines will have a deflection shield, running the complete length of the block casting. Shield must be securely fastened and must be .060” thick. (This equates to a steel inner fender)
8.​​Hook point must be no closer than 44” of center line of rear axle, hitch height maximum of 26”, with a minimum of a 3.75” X 3.0” opening. Hitch point must be easily accessed. No “trick” type hitches permitted. Hitch must be stationary in all directions. Hitch must be frame mounted. Hitch must be mounted center line of rear axle or behind. Hitch must not exceed a maximum of 25° angle from pivot point to hook point. No hitch supports or adjusters, if fastened to the rear axle housing shall be above the center line of rear axle. Pivot pin of drawbar can be no farther forward than center line of the rear axle.
9.​​Secondary hitch required. Minimum of 3/8” steel, located 12” below primary hitch on the same vertical plane. (You should be able to look directly through both at the same time – they need to be lined up.)
10.​The turbocharger is smooth faced intake housing, limited to a 3.0” inlet, (no map ring) with all air entering through the 3.0” opening. Intake wheel must protrude 1/8th inch inside of opening.
11.​Exhaust must exit straight up, with (2) 3/8” bolts mounted in a cross pattern no more than 1” apart as close to the turbine wheel as possible, no more than 6” away from turbine wheel.
12.​Intercoolers allowed. Dumping or draining intercoolers without a catch pan within 100 feet of competition track is prohibited.
13.​Water injection is prohibited. All components must be removed from the truck.
14.​Air shut off must have a cable that goes to the rear of truck operated by the sled operator and also one to the cab of the truck. Kill switch will be securely mounted to the back of the vehicle and have a two (2) inch diameter metallic ring to attach the sled.
15.​Fuel Systems: Maximum of one P7100 pump, limited to one plunger per cylinder. The use of multiple high pressure common rail fuel pumps is allowed. Ford Powerstroke engine may utilize a second HPOP. Electronic fuel injection is permitted. A 3-way dump valve mounted before the injection pump is mandatory which can be operated by the driver while strapped in the seat.
16.​No fuel lines or tanks permitted inside of truck cab unless securely mounted in marine box.
17.​Fuel limited to diesel fuel. No alcohol, nitrous, propane or any oxygen enhancing agents allowed.
18.​Must run DOT approved tire. Maximum tire height 35”, no studded tires or chains. No alteration to DOT tires allowed. Dual rear wheels are permitted on rear axle only. Maximum of 6 tires.
19.​Front weights must be no more than 60” from the center line of the front axle to forward most point and be securely fastened. No weights are allowed in cab of the truck. If weights are located in the bed of truck they are to be securely fastened to the bed of the truck.
20.​Drive train will consist of the following: Any front axle, any transfer case and any rear axle. No planetaries permitted.
21.​Axle shields are required. Shield to be .060” thickness steel or aluminium. Shield not to be mounted to axle ends or hub bolts. A hole may be cut in one to allow locking in of hubs.
22.​No cast iron clutches or flywheels permitted, must be SFI approved. Trucks with automatic transmissions, refer to General Rules.
23.​SFI bellhousing blankets and/or SFI blow proof bellhousing required.
24.​All U-joints must be shielded 360 degrees with 3/8” thick aluminium w/1/8” steel liner or 5/16” thick steel. Shield will be 6 inches long minimum and centered on u-joint. Inside diameter of shield will be no more than 2 inches larger than u-joint.
25.​All intermediate shafts between the transmission and transfer case will be totally enclosed in 3/8” aluminium or 5/16” steel, Ό” of shaft may be visible.
26.​Fire extinguisher (2.5#) or fire suppression system, Helmets-Snell 90 or better, SFI fire suits, head sock, gloves, shoes, and seatbelts required.
27.​All other rules may be found in 4X4 Truck and General Rule sections.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:32 PM   #2
cumins01

Name: cumins01
Member`s Gallery
Holly crap!

Old 02-07-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
bigstacks95

Name: bigstacks95
Title: Diesel Doc
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy01 View Post
24.​All U-joints must be shielded 360 degrees with 3/8” thick aluminium w/1/8” steel liner or 5/16” thick steel. Shield will be 6 inches long minimum and centered on u-joint. Inside diameter of shield will be no more than 2 inches larger than u-joint.
Why?

58 Dodge Power Wagon 3.0 Limited Pro Stock diesel pulling truck

2020 Ram 3500 HO/Aisin Laramie/night tow rig

Old 02-07-2017, 08:34 AM   #4
rawdog

Name: rawdog
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstacks95 View Post
Why?
Id like to see what blew thru a 3/8 aluminum shield!!!

And are you telling me every 4wd truck is going to go thru and change said aluminum, or hell, even the steel?

Old 02-07-2017, 08:35 AM   #5
Sarafin

Name: Sarafin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstacks95 View Post
Why?
How they are in the mod class, just in case the alluminum is too soft they want atleast a little steel in there for strength

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

3.0 Pull truck - 'Smokin' Rodent'

Old 02-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #6
9724VF350

Name: 9724VF350
Title: Tractor Guy
Member`s Gallery
The no planetary thing kind of sucks I think. I'm pretty sure someone could manufacture them to bolt right on, then the stock driveline would probably hold up. I would think it would be lighter, likely cheaper, and less work.

Wife's ride-03 Excursion 12V swap in the works.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9724VF350 View Post
The no planetary thing kind of sucks I think. I'm pretty sure someone could manufacture them to bolt right on, then the stock driveline would probably hold up. I would think it would be lighter, likely cheaper, and less work.

I would guess if you are going the planetary route, it would open up a whole new drive shaft shielding issue, I would imagine it would require full encasement of the driveshaft, just like the intermediate shafts.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 02-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
9724VF350

Name: 9724VF350
Title: Tractor Guy
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
I would guess if you are going the planetary route, it would open up a whole new drive shaft shielding issue, I would imagine it would require full encasement of the driveshaft, just like the intermediate shafts.
Probably so.

Wife's ride-03 Excursion 12V swap in the works.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #9
kjpcummins

Name: kjpcummins
Member`s Gallery
I don't see the no planetary rule being enforced. If they do enforce it you will not be able to run oem driveline. Also not sure why shielding would be required for planetaries. I don't see shielding on tractors, 2wds, or oem drivline. Are they going to start disassembling people's axle to see if they utilize a planetary. I highly doubt it.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #10
KTAPETERBILT

Name: KTAPETERBILT
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
We know someone that has to change the back half of the frame section.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:23 PM   #11
lawnboy01

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTAPETERBILT View Post
Along with some other things

Old 02-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #12
rawdog

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTAPETERBILT View Post
Would this be the pic that was floating around of the tubed rear frame, and the wild hitch with reinforcement in front of the rear axle?

Old 02-08-2017, 09:22 AM   #13
RD TRCTR

Name: RD TRCTR
Title: Diesels, Burn Outs & Tits
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog View Post
Would this be the pic that was floating around of the tubed rear frame, and the wild hitch with reinforcement in front of the rear axle?
I'd like to see this picture.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:43 AM   #14
lawnboy01

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog View Post
Looking at said picture. It all looks legal per the rules, provided they didn't cut the frame off and just slid the rear end back. Pivot point of hitch appears to be center line of axle

Old 02-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #15
rawdog

Member`s Gallery
You cant have any supports in front of the rear axle centerline being as they are part of the hitch. As well as connection to the rear above centerline. And I think a protractor will show you the angle is a little much. The back half is excessive and will not fly either.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:21 PM   #16
lawnboy01

Member`s Gallery
Not my truck nor have I ever seen it in person. But in the rules, nothing about supports in front of center line of axle

Old 02-08-2017, 07:57 PM   #17
Pudge

Name: Pudge
Member`s Gallery
Pewter regular cab? I'm pretty sure he has no plans on pulling at a PPL event, and the Oomps guys know a few things about chassis setup. They have one of the few trucks from the east coast to compete with and win against the Midwest group. That said, it definitely pushes the rules for ppl

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Old 02-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #18
pick017

Name: pick017
Title: ohio sled puller
Member`s Gallery
Need pictures this is driving me crazy.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:15 AM   #19
DMDP

Name: DMDP
Title: Quitter
Member`s Gallery
Where exactly are these rules posted for PPL? Propulling.com shows 2017 rule changes and I'm not seeing anything like this

Pro Stock 3.6 "Crazy Ex"

Old 02-09-2017, 07:32 AM   #20
lawnboy01

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDP View Post
Where exactly are these rules posted for PPL? Propulling.com shows 2017 rule changes and I'm not seeing anything like this
They are not posted yet. Johnathan emailed them to me

Closed Thread