Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- GM > GM Tech > LBZ GM Duramax
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

LBZ GM Duramax Discussion of the Newest Generation Duramax and GM Trucks

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 11:40 PM   #1
frankencummins

Name: frankencummins
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
6.0 to LBZ

Long story short I've got an LBZ motor that's been on a pallet for 6 years in a warehouse & an '06 2500 gas burner with a bad heart. Both sourced at the low cost of hauling them off. How bad is this swap going to be? I've done some googling & have seen mixed results. Some say things will plug & play, some say it's like playing catch with an angry porcupine. What's the real story? I rebuilt my '00 from the frame up. It's not the wrenching that concerns me. It's all the little electric gremlins that tend to show their head that's concerning. Someone talk me out of it.

'15 Laramie Longhorn 3500, CTT Tuned (RIP),Revmax Signature 850, 60/60 towboss, S&S Torquemaster.
Sans government juice
'00 Cummins FASS 150, Airaid CAI, 5" exhaust, Quad Adr w/pv2, DAP 160's, Revmax signature series,triple disk, SDX 62/71/13. Perpetual project

Old 08-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
MAXX IT OUT

Name: MAXX IT OUT
Title: RUNS AGAIN
Member`s Gallery
What Trans are you planning on running? If I remember right if you want to run a Allison you will have to get a higher hump floor pan section from a diesel, or run a body lift to clear the transmission. As far as wiring goes, I believe you will need the LBZ engine, trans, and under hood wiring harness, along with the fuse block. The body harness plugs, and dash wiring plugs should plug right into the Diesels fuse block. As far as core support for intercooler and radiator, that should a bolt in. Also the Gasser LS trucks don't have the AAM 11.5, so I am not sure what that will do to the driveshafts as far as bolt compatibility.

As far actually doing the swap, what do you want out of it? IF the 6.0L truck is a loaded CCSB that is rust free with good paint, I might do it, or if you where wanting to build a race/pulling truck, probably. But just to do it for fun, I wouldn't do it. You probably could buy a good run 6.0L for under 2k and swap the engine out in 16 hours or less. The duramax swap, you would spend a mouth or more finding parts, adapting thing or swapping part out and probably end up spending 4 or 5K if you already have a good LBZ engine.

Last edited by MAXX IT OUT; 08-26-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
frankencummins

Member`s Gallery
Really just looking for a cheapish/ fun truck to run around & quit putting miles on my stuff without having 6.0 fuel mileage. As far as trans, I might go Allison, I might put a built 48RE behind it with a floor shifter. It's all up in the air right now since I just got everything. The LBZ popped the EGR cooler at like 100k & drank some coolant before it shut down, was drained & pulled out of the original truck. AFAIK it was in good shape, otherwise. I won't have a good idea of how far it's gone until I get it on the motor stand.
Truck is a 2WD ECLB truck with a good body, good interior. Power train is just shot, no oil pressure on the gasser, & transmission that just barely pulled it on the trailer. I've got $80 bucks worth of fuel in everything right now. I've got to have basically the entire driveline anyway. At $4-5K I'm not really going to blow a ton of money to have a relatively fun DD.

'15 Laramie Longhorn 3500, CTT Tuned (RIP),Revmax Signature 850, 60/60 towboss, S&S Torquemaster.
Sans government juice
'00 Cummins FASS 150, Airaid CAI, 5" exhaust, Quad Adr w/pv2, DAP 160's, Revmax signature series,triple disk, SDX 62/71/13. Perpetual project

Last edited by frankencummins; 08-26-2019 at 02:30 PM.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:09 PM   #4
weazel

Name: weazel
Title: 5th gear killer
Member`s Gallery
Yes, make sure you use the fuse block, and all engine/trans harnesses from the lbz.
There are differences internally in the fuse block between the gasser and lbz. I found that out the hard way lol

Old 08-26-2019, 03:38 PM   #5
frankencummins

Member`s Gallery
I'll keep that in mind. What'd the hard way run you $$$ wise, if you don't mind, lol?

Sans government juice

Last edited by frankencummins; 08-26-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #6
frankencummins

Member`s Gallery
Box of goodies? Or nightmare in the making. Guess I'll find put when the lid comes off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapchat-1235386153.jpg (212.9 KB, 0 views)

Sans government juice

Old 08-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #7
weazel

Name: weazel
Title: 5th gear killer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankencummins View Post
I'll keep that in mind. What'd the hard way run you $$$ wise, if you don't mind, lol?
Didn’t cost too terribly much.. just a pair of batteries lol. The gasser fuse box would leave something turned on even with the key off. So after the truck sat for a couple days, I walked out to fire it up and nothing... killed the batteries. Threw the old box back in, ran a ground wire to the starter relay (was the original problem with the diesel fuse block) and have been using it ever since..

The normal stuff, like headlights and other general truck wiring that runs to the blocks are interchangeable as far as I know. Just from the fuse block to engine and trans is where the Pinouts start changing up.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:08 PM   #8
frankencummins

Member`s Gallery
Cool, that's what I was hoping. Tore the engine down to the short block tonight. Some surface rust, kinda expected it since the moter slugged water. A little W-D 40 & elbow grease pulled most of that off. Going to pull the pan tomorrow & check out the bottom end. Since I'm this far in the motor I'll be going back with ARP everything, might pull the crank & have it balanced. I'm hoping to have the block pulled down & cleaned up by the end of the week. I'll post some pics as I go. Probably going to be a more involved build than I was hoping, but might as well. I've wanted a LBZ D-max since I was 19, might as well earn it.

Sans government juice

Last edited by frankencummins; 08-26-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:16 PM   #9
frankencummins

Member`s Gallery
Locked up tighter than dick's hat band. Looks like 2 pistons on the right bank are toast, lips are chipped off. The rest are good. Won't be going back with a stock set anyway. Hope to get it on the motor stand tomorrow & get the pan off to see what sort of damage has been done to the bottom end. So much for a budget build/ DD, duraflight race truck it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190827-230432_Snapchat.jpg (755.7 KB, 0 views)

Sans government juice

Old 08-28-2019, 09:42 PM   #10
frankencummins

Member`s Gallery
On the third day we had rotation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190828_190555.jpg (520.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190828_190604.jpg (500.8 KB, 0 views)

Sans government juice

Old 08-28-2019, 09:44 PM   #11
frankencummins

Member`s Gallery
Side note here, does anyone make a billet upper oil pan? Sort of like a girdle/ upper oil pan combo?

Sans government juice

Closed Thread