Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 10:17 PM   #1
Nor_Cal_Angler

Name: Nor_Cal_Angler
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
It's been awhile...Need some recommendations.

Hey all it's been a long time, I guess that's a good thing as I haven't broken anything in about 100k..lol

But the time has come and I have an itch...I am looking to upgrade my turbo. I havent had the need in the longest time and I know technology has advanced turbos since I last played.

Now I should say I dont need to my turbo is just fine..shaft play is minimal and the seals are holding fine..I just want to.

I cant see my sig line as I'm on my phone but it shouldnt be much different..01.5 QCLB..SOVP, built trans will hold 600+ (not 800..lol), Edge Comp Drag, 100 hp injectors (will probably get them cleaned (80k on them), Raptor LP, AFE intake, Banks High Ram horn, Grid Heater Gone, stock down pipe to 4" ( I have an hx40 DP from an older turbo set up if the turbo reccommended needs it), 4.5 inch lift with 35s, 3.73 in the rear.

I have spoken to fleece about their hx35 cheetah with their 63.5mm..they say the mods I have and the 100s hit the sweet spot for that turbo..I plan on calling HTT....

Who else is out there today...I remember way back when...my mods matched pretty well to a 62/65/12...and I did like its spool and power but that was 10 yrs ago just wondering if there is something with newer turbo tech.

Pretty much no towing or really light like a bumper pull camper..7k or a smaller boat maybe 4k.

I remember being real close to 500 and would like to hit that...if I need bigger sticks let me know too...

Thanks ladies and gents!!!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

4.5 Sky Jacker with Rear Add-a-Leaf, 35's and Raceline Renagade 17's

Old 01-09-2020, 07:08 PM   #2
bateman

Name: bateman
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Get on AGP’s website and pick out a Borg unit for a hell of a lot cheaper than anything Fleece. Sounds like a 62/68 or similar would do well for you.

Old 01-10-2020, 06:07 AM   #3
mhuggler

Name: mhuggler
Title: One piece at a time
Member`s Gallery
Whatever you decide to get, just be sure to stick with a tight turbine side. In other words, nothing larger than a 68mm turbine and a 12cm(.7) housing. I wasted a lot of money on turbos just to find out that the trend of having a free flowing hot side just simply doesn't apply to a mild to medium HP VP engine build.
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS

Old 01-10-2020, 09:05 AM   #4
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
*cough* *cough* *s475 compound, big wastegate, limit fuel for max power, super cheap* *cough*

Old 01-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #5
01silver bullet

Name: 01silver bullet
Title: Washed up
Member`s Gallery
What mhuggler said! I’m still a fan of the 62 on the vp trucks with 100-150s they spool great still and usually with a 150 your right there in the 500 range! Let me know if I can help you get it!

Siskiyou Diesel Performance

Old 01-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #6
Nor_Cal_Angler

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the heads up everyone..might look into agp...hell they are a 20 minute drive from my house..lol.

I agree on the 12cm...68/14 has me worried...being I have to smog annually and they do opacity...I dont wanna blow out the tail pipe.

I passed last year...unhooked my comp, kept the 100s in and had the hx35...value was 41 or below and the meter resulted in 23 IIRC...its a pretty simple smog...no obd2, CEL doesnt matter and they have you stab the go pedal 3 times from idle to banging the hell out of the limiter....sucks because I never really push the redline...but it's an easy test...dont have smog stuff anyways sooo no worries there.

Any other builders out there worth looking at in a 1500 turbo budget??

Old 01-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #7
bateman

Name: bateman
Member`s Gallery
wastegated sxe is $1150 in pretty much any flavor from AGP. That's the cheapest I've seen. They have the small ex. housing you want.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #8
Nor_Cal_Angler

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman View Post
wastegated sxe is $1150 in pretty much any flavor from AGP. That's the cheapest I've seen. They have the small ex. housing you want.
Interesting you say gated...welp I stopped into AGP today, like I said they happen be be in the neighborhood...I spoke with Ben..super cool guy, very helpful and made me feel pretty comfortable with the new turbos and what they (both turbo and AGP) can do...he said with what I have now and even if I did go to 125 or 150 injectors..he would go 62/68/14 non wastegated....hmmmm....thoughts anyone?

Old 01-10-2020, 06:33 PM   #9
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
I'd stay hx35 with a bigger ex housing. For 500 peak goal, don't see the need.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:48 PM   #10
RacinDuallie

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Member`s Gallery
That 62/65-16 was a fun turbo back in the day.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:22 AM   #11
mhuggler

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Angler View Post
Interesting you say gated...welp I stopped into AGP today, like I said they happen be be in the neighborhood...I spoke with Ben..super cool guy, very helpful and made me feel pretty comfortable with the new turbos and what they (both turbo and AGP) can do...he said with what I have now and even if I did go to 125 or 150 injectors..he would go 62/68/14 non wastegated....hmmmm....thoughts anyone?

Not for your application. No, no and no. Nothing wrong with the 62/68 part, but he's obviously either not well versed in VP's, or that's what he has on the shelf waiting for someone to buy it. Insist on getting the 12cm wasted housing.
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS

Old 01-11-2020, 05:13 PM   #12
Nor_Cal_Angler

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuggler View Post
Not for your application. No, no and no. Nothing wrong with the 62/68 part, but he's obviously either not well versed in VP's, or that's what he has on the shelf waiting for someone to buy it. Insist on getting the 12cm wasted housing.
Starting to think that is the way to go...62/68/12 wastegated...what would realistically my hp numbers be with that turbo and my current old school dirty and smokey 100 hp edge jammers...also what should I expect if I were to throw in some 150s and who would you all go with for makes...I have my stock injectors as core and would companies take my jammers if I wanted to send them in??

Old 01-11-2020, 08:24 PM   #13
mhuggler

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Angler View Post
Starting to think that is the way to go...62/68/12 wastegated...what would realistically my hp numbers be with that turbo and my current old school dirty and smokey 100 hp edge jammers...also what should I expect if I were to throw in some 150s and who would you all go with for makes...I have my stock injectors as core and would companies take my jammers if I wanted to send them in??

I ran 150 jammers VERY briefly. They were horrible. Smoke and heat with a small gain in power to show for it. Almost anything would be better. I'll put a good word in for F1diesel. I have the 200 mach 5's and they burn as clean as a 200 can get.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:17 PM   #14
Nor_Cal_Angler

Member`s Gallery
Ok...so F1..mach 4a or 5s..not bad I know they are a great brand, then and it would seem now.

Whole reason I am doing this is because I got the green light..MaMa Bear said think about it...I was ready to move on to a 3rd gen..kids, 4 door..only a CAT to worry about smog wise, newer body, and just a newer truck for me.... but then she helped me realize I LOVE my truck, always have..since I bought her she has NEVER let me down..180k miles and I have replaced a water pump, a belt, a IAT sensor and this year an AC...that's IT!!!!! Besides the add on performance parts which we dont need and routine maintenance...those 3/4 (prob. could have cleaned the IAT) items are all that has needed replacing. I or my best friend (who is a performance dodge mechanic, his shop shall be left out, but he is known in the high HP world, he no longer works there and for the last 6 yrs or so hasnt keep up on the HP game thus the reach out to you all) are the only ones to turn a bolt on my truck. I literally know every inch of this truck and have all the records and maintenance logs to go with it.

I did and have been asking him his thoughts and he pretty much said 62/65/12 proven old school but that's what he knows even he said reach out on comp d like we used to...

So I got the green light to rather than take on someone else's 3rd gen with the same or very likely MORE miles, go back and rework my truck...paint is clean but get those few clear coat spots done..hell repaint it, get newer headlights, get the sport front end, get the turbo, get the leather seats etc etc..sink 6k into your truck, rather than sell it, plus add 4 k to purchase and another who knows to get it where you want it...she says...lifestyle tough right...lol

Soooo there is the long winded back story...yea I have been gone a long time...I was and still am super happy with my 400 ponies, I loved the short lived super b and near 500...

Today is a new dawn and I wanna get this girl over the hump...nothing crazy as I have the platform already, but I will be damned if this old girl wont sing again!!!!!

Old 01-21-2020, 05:27 PM   #15
Nor_Cal_Angler

Member`s Gallery
Sooooo...I have spoken to Ducky Fuel Injection...I am gonna either go with 7x10 (150s) or 7x9(125) and SAC..information gathered suggests that SAC will flow more, a bit more smoke but cleaner than my jammers and more durable than VCO.

Here is my dilemma..at 150s with a 62/68/12..I should have the fuel/air to go over 500..and as I recall...I am then embarking on the journey to needing head studs...while the task isnt hard is it something I want to have to do...as well if these flow as well and support what I think they can..am I going to run the potential of overrunning a SO pump and hydro-locking the pump...last thing I want to do is be on the side of the road bleeding lines after a hard run and letting off the go pedal.

Would 125s suit me better or even 100s...

I am sure that DFI, will be better than my jammers...

So give me the straight answer...62/68/12 and which Ducky Injector...

Old 01-22-2020, 06:51 AM   #16
zachu812

Name: zachu812
Member`s Gallery
I wouldn't be afraid of vapor locking the pump with a 7x.010, only happened to me a handful of times with my 6x.013s (~250s) and I ran it really hard with that setup. I've also heard that switching to .093 feed tubes eliminates that problem, it shouldn't lope if you keep stock lines. I'd go big on the injectors in case you decide to turn it up later, you can always turn the comp box down when you don't want all the fuel.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:25 AM   #17
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachu812 View Post
I've also heard that switching to .093 feed tubes eliminates that problem,
It doesn't.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #18
Nor_Cal_Angler

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachu812 View Post
I wouldn't be afraid of vapor locking the pump with a 7x.010, only happened to me a handful of times with my 6x.013s (~250s) and I ran it really hard with that setup. I've also heard that switching to .093 feed tubes eliminates that problem, it shouldn't lope if you keep stock lines. I'd go big on the injectors in case you decide to turn it up later, you can always turn the comp box down when you don't want all the fuel.
Ok...that's good to hear, I dont think I wanna go bigger, I dont see the need to, really doubt I will want to go bigger.

What's your thoughts on the head stud issue...

Thanks

Old 01-22-2020, 09:52 AM   #19
Nor_Cal_Angler

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
It doesn't.
It doesnt...as in I should not have that problem or even if I do go to .93 tubes it wont help.

Thanks

Old 01-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #20
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Member`s Gallery
Just let it coast a bit if you run it hard. I've air locked mine a bunch of times and I've never had to bleed lines. I don't remember ever air locking it with 7x.010's anyway.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Closed Thread