Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
TrailTamer

Name: TrailTamer
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Loose & over-protruded piston

I just rebuilt a 12v Cummins and everything went well until I test fire it. There was a bad noise within 5 minutes of run time. Borescoped & found valve impressions on top of piston #5. I had to pull the head to see why it no longer turn over 360* by hand.

I’ll pull the piston/rod soon. But, until then, what the hell have happened? How can the piston be loose, move by roughly 1/2” up/down by hand and is over-protruded, even after pushed it back down.

12v Cummins piston looses overextending - YouTube
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82673E03-D8E3-4CCF-80EC-A49D240D5488.jpg (206.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 6B8F700E-792D-438F-ACB3-0C6E7DE37C2C.jpg (218.2 KB, 0 views)
1997 2500 Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 | NV4500 | D80 w/ TruTrac | D60 w/ 4340 35 spline shafts | Ford knuckles | Yukon Hardcore locking hubs | 1pc Aluminum 1480 joints rear shaft | NP-271D | BHAF | 4" Exhaust | AFC LIVE | Mack Plug | 5x14 145* | 7mm DV | 4KGSK

Old 01-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #2
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Rod cap not torqued on.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:08 PM   #3
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracker8040 View Post
Rod cap not torqued on.
What he said

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 01-24-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Wow.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
TrailTamer

Member`s Gallery
I think it’s wrist pin judging the feel when pull/push the piston up/down. The picture shown is with the piston pushed down. Not sure how it can be the rod bearing or cap since it’s extended above deck.

I will update this when I get the rod out.
1997 2500 Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 | NV4500 | D80 w/ TruTrac | D60 w/ 4340 35 spline shafts | Ford knuckles | Yukon Hardcore locking hubs | 1pc Aluminum 1480 joints rear shaft | NP-271D | BHAF | 4" Exhaust | AFC LIVE | Mack Plug | 5x14 145* | 7mm DV | 4KGSK

Old 01-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #6
bateman

Name: bateman
Member`s Gallery
Rod cap/big end problems could definitely cause that. I'd assume it to be on the big end before I guessed the small end, with that much play.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:33 PM   #7
RascalMafia

Name: RascalMafia
Title: heyyyyyyy girrrrrrrl
Member`s Gallery
Another vote for rod cap / torque.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
'01 F350 7.3 / ZF6

Old 01-24-2020, 04:38 PM   #8
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman View Post
Rod cap/big end problems could definitely cause that. I'd assume it to be on the big end before I guessed the small end, with that much play.
Agreed. I'm sure anything in the pin area would have been noticed during assembly. It's either a broken or stretched rod bolt, or missing bearing.

Please do update us on this.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:47 PM   #9
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailTamer View Post
I think it’s wrist pin judging the feel when pull/push the piston up/down. The picture shown is with the piston pushed down. Not sure how it can be the rod bearing or cap since it’s extended above deck.

I will update this when I get the rod out.
Rod bearing is doubled up or piggybacked on the big end of the rod. No bearing on the cap.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #10
T-MAN

Name: T-MAN
Title: misunderstood
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
Rod bearing is doubled up or piggybacked on the big end of the rod. No bearing on the cap.
If the bearings were doubled up on the big end it would have been out of the bore on assembly, it also would have been the same overall diameter on the top to bottom and never fit side to side... Plus it would never bar over if you were able to wedge that bearing around the crank doubled up. I think he forgot to torque a rod bolt or forgot the lower bearing...1/2" is a ton of movement....How was your oil pressure?

Old 01-24-2020, 07:54 PM   #11
TrailTamer

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MAN View Post
If the bearings were doubled up on the big end it would have been out of the bore on assembly, it also would have been the same overall diameter on the top to bottom and never fit side to side... Plus it would never bar over if you were able to wedge that bearing around the crank doubled up. I think he forgot to torque a rod bolt or forgot the lower bearing...1/2" is a ton of movement....How was your oil pressure?
I had mechanical gauge hooked up for the first test fire. It never dipped the whole time it ran. It was running at just under 100 psi. And yes the engine barred over just fine, no seizing to speak of and I didn’t forgot the bearings. Lol

Old 01-24-2020, 08:08 PM   #12
T-MAN

Name: T-MAN
Title: misunderstood
Member`s Gallery
From what your describing with only 5 minutes of run time is the cap either has loose bolts and it hitting the side of the block locking it up or 1 bolt broke and your very lucky. But until you see what damage in the lower end we don't know how lucky you are. The wristpin moving a 1/2" is near impossible and if the circlip fell out you would kill the cylinder wall before it came apart with only idle time... There's not enough room for the pin to slide out in the block.. This sucks on a new build... How much can you twist the piston in the bore?

Old 01-24-2020, 08:29 PM   #13
RacinDuallie

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Member`s Gallery
Have to agree, if bearing doubled on big end it would have been eye poppingly obvious on rotaion of short block.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:07 AM   #14
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailTamer View Post
I had mechanical gauge hooked up for the first test fire. It never dipped the whole time it ran. It was running at just under 100 psi. And yes the engine barred over just fine, no seizing to speak of and I didn’t forgot the bearings. Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinDuallie View Post
Have to agree, if bearing doubled on big end it would have been eye poppingly obvious on rotaion of short block.
The bearing wasn't doubled on assembly. The bearing doubled up after it fired and ran because the the cap came loose. Hence why it's sticking out of the block the same distance as 2 bearing halves put together

Last edited by DISTURBED; 01-25-2020 at 08:08 AM.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #15
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Cap came loose and "stacked" the 2 bearing halves on the top of the crank journal.
They can also do it without the bolts loosening, all it takes is one half sticking to the crank journal and the other half riding up over it.

Mark.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:15 PM   #16
RacinDuallie

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The bearing wasn't doubled on assembly. The bearing doubled up after it fired and ran because the the cap came loose. Hence why it's sticking out of the block the same distance as 2 bearing halves put together
Soooooooo what was cause of this action? Phone ring while torquing rod caps?

Old 01-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #17
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinDuallie View Post
Soooooooo what was cause of this action? Phone ring while torquing rod caps?
Very possible. Thinking you torqued them all and forgetting a rod. Just a habit for me is I install all rods first and finger tighten the bolts. Then torque in sets of 2 as the rods rotate up so you can get to the bolts. Them I go back and put the wrench on them to make sure I don't forget any. Also a common practice for me is there is no one in the engine room when I'm assembling a bottom end. Anyone can distract you for just a second and that's when mistakes happen. I implemented that practice after someone stopped by to chat one time and I mixed rod caps as I was assembling. Couldn't bar it over and was pretty quick to discover my mistake after I made them leave.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:26 PM   #18
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
We always paint lines across the fasteners so that they should all have to be indexed roughly the same direction once fully torqued, especially on TTY fasteners. I've also used two different colors to designate what sequence I'm on.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 01-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #19
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Very possible. Thinking you torqued them all and forgetting a rod. Just a habit for me is I install all rods first and finger tighten the bolts. Then torque in sets of 2 as the rods rotate up so you can get to the bolts. Them I go back and put the wrench on them to make sure I don't forget any. Also a common practice for me is there is no one in the engine room when I'm assembling a bottom end. Anyone can distract you for just a second and that's when mistakes happen. I implemented that practice after someone stopped by to chat one time and I mixed rod caps as I was assembling. Couldn't bar it over and was pretty quick to discover my mistake after I made them leave.
Installing all rods finger tight first, then barring the engine over to torque them is a No No in my book

Old 01-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #20
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhite View Post
Installing all rods finger tight first, then barring the engine over to torque them is a No No in my book
I guess I kinda miss spoke. I use a small Snap-On impact that does about 60in pounds. Not really finger tight.

Closed Thread