Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 04:28 PM   #1
Sarafin

Name: Sarafin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Who's got the best truck in the country?

Who's the top dog?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

3.0 Pull truck - 'Smokin' Rodent'

Old 07-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
I don't know if this can be answered, haven't there only been like 2 pulls for the modifieds?
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 07-24-2020, 04:47 PM   #3
Empty_Pockets

Name: Empty_Pockets
Title: Undercover Epa agent
Member`s Gallery
Kory and wade when they hook their car to the sled

Old 07-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #4
TheSilverBullet

Name: TheSilverBullet
Title: All the correction factor
Member`s Gallery
I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8r View Post
Dying is always a way bigger concern than egt's...

Old 07-24-2020, 08:25 PM   #5
Empty_Pockets

Name: Empty_Pockets
Title: Undercover Epa agent
Member`s Gallery
My stock-ish lb7 does good in work stock..

My 12 cummins does good in open class too..

Old 07-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #6
BluegrassDiesel

Name: BluegrassDiesel
Title: UK2K!
Member`s Gallery
Not as cut and dry as it was several years ago. Technology, innovation, and competition have grown tremendously. Most nights its anyone's ball game depending on hook order and track condition.

SHOP ONLINE @ http://WWW.SHOPBLUEGRASS.COM

97 DodgePPL Limited Pro Stock "The Crippler"
09 3500 GMC CCDually
05 Silverado SS

Old 07-25-2020, 05:32 PM   #7
ramtough01

Name: ramtough01
Member`s Gallery
If was a few years ago was pretty easy to say who the top trucks in each class where but now its to close to say

Ramtough | Teespring

Old 07-25-2020, 06:57 PM   #8
Pudge

Name: Pudge
Member`s Gallery
Some people have the best stuff their money or anyone else's could buy, and still don't get in the winners circle, so its a bit of a vague question. In my opinion, with the same sled setting and run every truck on the same track regardless of class, RWYB style, Kellog or Crowder in their own SS would be my bet

Old 07-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #9
Sarafin

Name: Sarafin
Member`s Gallery
Did you guys see Drew Pumphreys post about a drag racing style bracket pull?
I've talked about it for years to try it up in the Northeast but whenever I being it up to the older generation of pullers they've seemed hesitant to change from the current show method.
A bracket pull would take pulling from a 3 hour show at a fair to an all day event - exactly like drag racing and personally I think only one of the two Motorsports is booming right now

3.0 Pull truck - 'Smokin' Rodent'

Old 07-26-2020, 04:49 PM   #10
ryanss22

Name: ryanss22
Member`s Gallery
In the 3.6 class id havd to say Jon manns or James barder

BUILT NOT BOUGHT!!!!to

Old 07-26-2020, 11:30 PM   #11
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarafin View Post
Did you guys see Drew Pumphreys post about a drag racing style bracket pull?
I've talked about it for years to try it up in the Northeast but whenever I being it up to the older generation of pullers they've seemed hesitant to change from the current show method.
A bracket pull would take pulling from a 3 hour show at a fair to an all day event - exactly like drag racing and personally I think only one of the two Motorsports is booming right now

Sold a tractor to a guy last weekend that was telling me about bracket pulls for antique tractors. Want to say he was from the central Pa area. Sounds pretty cool to me, draw numbers or whatever to get paired up each round. Just have to figure out a pulling order to give guys a chance to cool down between rounds, without doing full sled re-sets. Or just do run what ya brung style, never know if you're going to go against a super stock or a work stock! Heck could get lucky and win with a VP truck even!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Old 07-27-2020, 12:51 AM   #12
Begle1

Name: Begle1
Member`s Gallery
Bracket pull? How does that work? You only pull a certain amount of weight and if you full pull you bust out? What?

Old 07-27-2020, 08:59 AM   #13
takedown95

Name: takedown95
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
Bracket pull? How does that work? You only pull a certain amount of weight and if you full pull you bust out? What?
I think the idea is you have a round of pulling and the top xxx number of trucks move on to the next round. Each round you reduce the number of trucks that pull until you ultimately get to the finals. How many are in the finals isn't clear but 2-4 trucks.

In terms of SSDFWD I think the most consistent drivers in the nation are Kellogg, Crowder, Hastings, and Haisley. Not too far behind them is Dugan. Notice I didn't say trucks because at SSDFWD it's less about the truck and more about the driver. HP hasn't been an issue in that class for quite some time and some of these guys are are using chassis technology that is 10 years old and some only a few years old.

In the 3.0 and 3.6 class HP still rules for the most part even though 3.6 is getting to the point where you can't just drop the clutch and go full throttle right off the line.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #14
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
From my understanding, it's fairly similar to how these no-prep races work if you watch any of those. Everyone will pull the first round, but they're only pulling against one other guy, thus the drawing chips or whatever to get the pairings randomly. Then you only have to out-pull one truck each round. Could even work in a bonus of sorts for for each round, say overall furthest pull of the round wins a small prize.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:29 PM   #15
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown95 View Post
I think the idea is you have a round of pulling and the top xxx number of trucks move on to the next round. Each round you reduce the number of trucks that pull until you ultimately get to the finals. How many are in the finals isn't clear but 2-4 trucks.

In terms of SSDFWD I think the most consistent drivers in the nation are Kellogg, Crowder, Hastings, and Haisley. Not too far behind them is Dugan. Notice I didn't say trucks because at SSDFWD it's less about the truck and more about the driver. HP hasn't been an issue in that class for quite some time and some of these guys are are using chassis technology that is 10 years old and some only a few years old.

In the 3.0 and 3.6 class HP still rules for the most part even though 3.6 is getting to the point where you can't just drop the clutch and go full throttle right off the line.

Interesting..... What do the pullers think about said bracket pulling? I would imagine you would go through quite a few more dollars every year if you had to go 3-4 laps per pull.
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 07-27-2020, 02:51 PM   #16
takedown95

Name: takedown95
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbeaux View Post
Interesting..... What do the pullers think about said bracket pulling? I would imagine you would go through quite a few more dollars every year if you had to go 3-4 laps per pull.
From my personal perspective I like the idea of having the opportunity to pull more than once per day but what concerns me is what happens if you get eliminated in the first round (especially if it's only you against one other person to move on and potentially miss out on any payouts)? I just drove 8-12 hours for one hook and I may have had the second longest distance of anybody and I get zero.

Also, we change our oil every 6-8 hooks and our pump oil every 4 passes and it's about $250-$300 per change with filters. So, if we are doing that every weekend it adds up on top of everything else.

So payouts would have to be increased significantly and entry fees need to stay the same.

If those items above are not addressed I wouldn't put more stress on my engine with a risk of getting much less or nothing when today I can show up and hook once a day and likely get the same amount of money or more.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:26 PM   #17
TheHammer

Name: TheHammer
Title: broke
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanss22 View Post
In the 3.6 class id havd to say Jon manns or James barder
On the east coast yes, both have been consistent. But on any given night if all the trucks were to show up. They could be first or last. The truck that won sdx last year on Friday, finished next to a truck running on 5cylinders all weekend toward the bottom half of the bunch. Just as josh stated, hook order and track conditions applied. Unless politics are involved

Old 07-27-2020, 07:28 PM   #18
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
my fl60 biotches

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 07-27-2020, 10:07 PM   #19
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeef View Post
my fl60 biotches
Yeah! After weeks of chasing your tail and cussing that thing, you finally listened to people on here, who you asked what to do, and now it's the greatest! Hahaha

Old 07-28-2020, 06:25 AM   #20
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown95 View Post
From my personal perspective I like the idea of having the opportunity to pull more than once per day but what concerns me is what happens if you get eliminated in the first round (especially if it's only you against one other person to move on and potentially miss out on any payouts)? I just drove 8-12 hours for one hook and I may have had the second longest distance of anybody and I get zero.

Also, we change our oil every 6-8 hooks and our pump oil every 4 passes and it's about $250-$300 per change with filters. So, if we are doing that every weekend it adds up on top of everything else.

So payouts would have to be increased significantly and entry fees need to stay the same.

If those items above are not addressed I wouldn't put more stress on my engine with a risk of getting much less or nothing when today I can show up and hook once a day and likely get the same amount of money or more.

I didn't realize folks with a superstock puller looked at financial returns of their pulling adventures. Of course maybe it is just the "can I cover my fuel money/expenses for the trip?"

I think if you talk to promoters/fair boards, they don't want 4 hours of diesel trucks, they want about an hour per class. Give the fans the most variety of pulling vehicles for their bucks.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Closed Thread