Chevy 1972 cummins swap?

DemonMaestro

Well a couple of question would a cummins 5.9L 24 valve fit if i got the chevy to cummins motor mount and also would it twist the frame? What about the transmission can i stick the stock dodge 2500 auto tranny in it?
also i have thought about sticking a 12 valve in it. what do ya think?

here is the chevy to cummins mouter mount
http://www.avalancheengineering.com/new_products.html

here is a couple of pics

DSC01107.jpg

DSC01109.jpg

Truck2.jpg

Let me know.

I am pretty sure that crossmember is for a 4wd truck. You would have to modify the lower portion to mount your lower control arms. Best bet is to talk to Dale, 2wlpuller and see if he will share pics of his crossmember.

You should be able to make the dodge OD trans fit. 12v or 24v should fit about the same as the dimensions are the same other than the valve cover on the 24v might take up a little more room than the 12v near the firewall. The only draw back of the 24v is cost of parts compared to a 12v. Both would be a good choice. Nice truck by the way.

Thanks. My think now is trying to find the dang engine and tranny. I cannot find one anywhere i go............. any ideas?

Heres some picts

INDY2007032.jpg

INDY2007031.jpg

It was clean for sure....Also saw one at the TS event year before last. Not sure if they were the same I'm thinkin' not but they were both really really clean and super super straight.

they look like they are all 12 valves.... but thats bad ass. One thing i have notice tho is that they are all grey or black.. not the original.. Thats how i am going to through people off becuase they are going to look at it and think its a gasser and its a CUMMINS!!!!

012.JPG

011_1_.JPG

010_1_.JPG

I didn't have to do any chopping to the heater box just turn the exhaust manifold upside down.
I removed the bellhousing cross member mine had a 3speed it had mounts on the bellhousing.I made a trany mount and crossmember at the rear of the trans that took about an hour the motor mount I used the mount from the 93 and made the frame mounts.
Used the stock 93 Dodge cooling fan and also the stock radiator mounted in the factory location.
We didn't do any beating on the firewall for clearence.
The power stearing hoses from the 72 connected up to the 93 cummins power stearing pump no modifications needed.The alt,is out of the 93 Dodge that I had made into a internal regulator and only need one wire to hook up to make work.
innercooler is a 99 dodge turned upside down and removed 2 cooling rows and patched so I Wouldn't have to modify the hood latch.
The truck has been running about a year now and no problems with the suspention. the front spring only setled 3/4 of a inch from stock.
I had a chevy adaptor for the cummins and used a NV4500 LD out of a chevy 1 ton.the 400 turbo didn't last very long the stick is much better on fuel. I just took out the 4:10 gears and put 3:08 in.
I have N50X15 on 10in Cragar SS.now We have to start doing body work the truck name is GG short for Grocery Getter and yes it is my wife truck that is if you talk to her.:evil
And make shure you use alot of sound deadening [Dynamat]:doh:
Dale

Last edited:
O ye I was ina hurry to drive and so the wife had something to drive I re used the 3" exhaust that was on the truck When I pulled out the 350 small block that was turboed charged has a flowmaster muffler when I get time and Cash I make 4" when I put the twins on it.

Dale

Hey what did you do for the front suspension? Thats what i am working on right now on my truck...

I didn't do anything still stock no problems working just peechy.

Dale

ya that would be nice but i dont want to twist the frame and also i am trying to think on what to do for the rear end also.

Your not going to swist the fram unless your going to run slicks and as I said above I used the 1993 Dodge motor mount and made the bracket on the fram I made all my ow2n part can't afford to buy from those compony all thow the have good products I can't afford it Have to many Irons in the fire this prodject was to see how cheap we could do it I just used parts that was just laying around. and yes the 24 v will fit will be tighter behind the head for the fuel return.

Dale

Back