How to get tar off?

You can use lacquer thinner, in very small amounts at a time, and it'll take it off.. But you have to be very careful how much you use cuz it will damage your paint.. But it'll get that stuff off real quick

Diesel fuel works pretty good on a warm day. Better yet on a hot day. No chance of damaging paint, makes your fingers smell good too!

WD-40, cleans tar off and is pretty easy to get off when you are done.

Shoot I never thought about using WD40, that would work good!

100 grit sandpaper will take it right off, probably the paint also though!

Go to NAPA buy two can's of TARMINATOR. I use it to get all the big crap off before I clay bar. Works wonders.
Looks like this:
images

you can use paint thinner works good thats what i use then just use running water to get the thinner off never hurt my paint just use some brains when useing it dont leave it on then go do the other side the wd-40 might work also there repaveing the roads around here and just tar and graveling some. Man i wish they would dis-invent that crap just scrathes the hell out of your truck

^^^Did not work^^^ ill try wd

You spray it directly on the paint and leave it set for a few? Some pesky spots with big globs took two applications. Don't buy that 'spray it on a rag' crap. Spray it on the tar and have a beer. Come back and it should be loosened nicely.

Worked great for me... sorry it wasn't the case with you.

My dad uses Prepsol 3939 at the body shop. It won't harm the paint. Use a lot of it and rub lightly. I'm sure you can get it at most automotive paint stores.

Gasoline removes tar.

Especially when combined with matches. :hehe: Jk.

I would use some oil based dissolver vs something like acetone or thinner. You don't want to soften the clear coat or remove uv protection.

Back