Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
b4ctrooper

Name: b4ctrooper
Title: Anger Issues
Member`s Gallery
47RH buildup parts suggestions?

Here is what I have planned so far:
Delete Product Quantity Price Each Total
#K3, 518, 618, 46RE, 47RE, 1994 to 2002 Combo Kit $382.00
#K3. Fits Dodge 518 / 618 / 46RE / 46RH / 47RE / 47RH, 1994 - 2002. You get the Alto master rebuild kit with all four sets of RedEagle clutches and all four sets of Kolene steels. It comes with a direct clutch PowerPack with 5 clutches and a #4K Carbon Fiber flex band. This band is 2 1/8 inches wide. Plus a Fairbanks TransAction kit that comes with a rapid fill manual valve that allows converter charge when the transmission is in park.

#4ED, 48RE / 727, Brass Impregnated Carbon Fiber Flex Band $34.00
#4ED. Extreme Duty Brass Impregnated Carbon Fiber Flex Band. This band without question is the worlds best Dodge flex band. Fits 48RE, 47RE, 46RE, 618, 518 and 727 transmissions.

#8S. Overdrive Extreme Duty Mega Spring $66.00
#8S. Overdrive extreme duty Mega Spring. This is the large spring that holds the overdrive direct clutch engaged when the transmission isn't in 4th gear. Fits 500, 518, 618, 46RH / RE and 47RH / RE transmissions. Needed for high horse power / torque motors. Just like the original spring but 1/4 inch longer.

#47RES. 618/47RH/47RE/48RE Performance Rear Band Servo, Year: 94 to 96 $19.00
#47RES. 618 / 47RH / 47RE /48RE performance rear band servo. Fits 1994 up 618 / 47RH / 47RE / 48RE transmissions only. Many Chrysler A727, A518, A618, and A904 transmissions experience rear servo piston sticking / breakage, pin bore wear, and reverse band slippage. The servo piston has a tendency to get cocked in the bore and there is insufficient force to apply the band in a direct line. The high reverse line pressure continues to apply against a cocked piston, causing piston breakage. The bore of the piston also wears from side loading, resulting in insufficient band apply pressure.

#3SC. 727,46RH/RE,47RH/RE Sonnax Upgraded Front Servo Piston Cover $24.00
#3SC. Intermediate servo cover. In vehicles with 727 ('71 & up), 46RH/RE, 47RH/RE & 48RE transmissions it is common to have long slide 2-3 shifts, direct (front) clutch failure or poor line pressure. These complaints can be caused by the front servo piston cover bore wearing. Sonnax has now designed an upgraded front servo piston cover with an o-ring in the bored diameter. This o-ring provides positive hydraulic seal on the servo rod for the direct (front) clutch and prevents hydraulic cross leaks.

#4BA2. 727 to 48RE "Power Wedge" Intermediate Band Anchor $31.00
#4BA2. "The Power Wedge" 727, 518, 618, 47RE, 48RE unbreakable intermediate band anchor.

#4LG. 4.2 Ratio Band Lever $42.00
#4LG. 46RH, 46RE, 47RH, 47RE, 518, 618, 727 Torqueflite 4.2 to 1 Ratio Band Lever. Placing one pound of force on the tip of the apply lever causes 4.2 pounds of force on the band.

#3A3, 727 to 48RE, 2 Ring Cast Aluminum Accumulator Piston $15.00
#3A3. 46RH/RE / 47RH/RE / 48RE / 518 / 618 / 500 / 727 / 904 Cast Aluminum 2 Ring Accumulator Piston. Comes with SPX 2 GoldStripe steel rings. Same as above but with 2 rings.

All of these parts and prices are from PATC PATC 46RE 47RE 48RE Transmissions, Performance Transmission A518, 518

I also plan on a hardened input, intermediate and triple disc converter (wanted to shop around first).

PATC offered a 10% discount if I order over $450 of stuff, which it will add up to. My questions are, will this be enough to last behind a 700-800hp Cummins (in a car, not a truck)? Any other suggestions? Are the prices good, or am I going to get a better deal somewhere else? Thanks.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
b4ctrooper

Member`s Gallery
My local tranny guy is looking up getting the above parts for me. Anyone have any opinions?

Old 07-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
mondtster

Name: mondtster
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I think there's cheaper places to get parts, but I have ordered a few things from them that I couldn't find elsewhere at the time. They are good at marketing stuff to people IMHO.

In my experience, the need for alto reds and kolene steels is debatable. The two tranny builders that have helped me learn how to build a tranny also agree with this.

I also don't see much point in replacing the low/revese servo (rear band) unless you are having problems with it being cracked or damaged in some way. That band is rarely used.

Other than that, the list looks similar to what I would use.

Just my opinion, for what that's worth.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
RockinMC

Name: RockinMC
Title: Convience Enthusiest
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondtster View Post

In my experience, the need for alto reds and kolene steels is debatable. The two tranny builders that have helped me learn how to build a tranny also agree with this.

I also don't see much point in replacing the low/revese servo (rear band) unless you are having problems with it being cracked or damaged in some way. That band is rarely used.
I agree with this. Kolene coating on steels keep the steels from burning up if the clutches do. They mostly benefit guys that are "freshening" their tranny regularly in super high horsepower applications, and do nothing to make the clutch pack hold better. I also think "performance" clutches are over-rated. As long as the tranny is hydraulically sound and running sufficient pressures, the stock clutch will shift just as good and last just as long as a "performance" clutch IMO. Most late model trannies are using high energy clutch material from the factory anyway. This is just my, ask 50 more people and you'll have a dollar

Old 07-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #5
b4ctrooper

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinMC View Post
I agree with this. Kolene coating on steels keep the steels from burning up if the clutches do. They mostly benefit guys that are "freshening" their tranny regularly in super high horsepower applications, and do nothing to make the clutch pack hold better. I also think "performance" clutches are over-rated. As long as the tranny is hydraulically sound and running sufficient pressures, the stock clutch will shift just as good and last just as long as a "performance" clutch IMO. Most late model trannies are using high energy clutch material from the factory anyway. This is just my, ask 50 more people and you'll have a dollar
Opinions are good. It's a good way to learn. I didn't know that about Kolene steels. I thought they did some special grabbing. Any part source suggestions? I'm trying to find a good deal on some hardened shafts too.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
RockinMC

Name: RockinMC
Title: Convience Enthusiest
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ctrooper View Post
Opinions are good. It's a good way to learn. I didn't know that about Kolene steels. I thought they did some special grabbing. Any part source suggestions? I'm trying to find a good deal on some hardened shafts too.
As far as shafts go, Suncoast, Goerend, Garmon, Art Carr, Sonnax I'm sure the list goes on from there, call around and price'em up.

Closed Thread