S300 Turbo Swap...

RMyers_7

Just Another Hobby
I saw that River City Diesel has a conversion kit. Who has done this? Is it worth it? My VGT-SS is junk after 12000 miles. Hasnt quit yet but the shaft bearings are getting loose. Comments please...

If your getting another turbo other than bolt on you need a a new turbo pedstal, oil supply/drain tubes and an adapter for the T style flange to round. Its not something new people do it all the time. I'm going to go ahead an assume that your turbo is from Elite Diesel?

If you are looking to buy a new turbo, I would try and wait until December/January. We have some new stuff coming out that will be pretty cool.

If you don't like it, you can always go with RCD. Hard to change once after you buy something.

Yeah I know I need the conversion kit I was just wondering how it was working for the people that have done it out there. My current turbo is a EDE VGT-SS. Not real impressed at all! 12000 miles and it is junk already. What a nice waste of 2300 dollars... :badidea:

don't there turbos come with a warranty? Have you contacted them about the problem? Sucks about it going bad either way though, so did it have a surge problem that caused the bearings going bad or did it just start going out?

Yeah their joke of a warranty is 6 months. It didnt seem to have any problems, then I took it off and found the bearings were getting sloppy and now it is making noises that I have never heard before. Not sure what it is but I am losing power and my fuel mileage has dropped off. That may be an injector issue also I am not sure. The bearings are definately going out of the turbo though. Just going to convert to fixed geometry and be done with the problems. I only have a tune from DJ on it and stock injectors. For what they claim out of that turbo there is no reason why it should be junk already because of something I was doing. They act like its no big deal and have no answers at EDE so they are done getting my money...

Just because you change to a Non VGT style turbo, doesn't mean all your problems are over......Non VGT style turbo's have bearings too.

Do you have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge? If so, how much oil pressure does your truck have at an idle, 1200, 2000, and 2500 rpm?

If you are looking to buy a new turbo, I would try and wait until December/January. We have some new stuff coming out that will be pretty cool.

If you don't like it, you can always go with RCD. Hard to change once after you buy something.

This statement sounds like: If after you purchase the turbo, you are not 100% happy with the results, Trusted Performance will refund his money....

If that is true, how could anyone refuse that offer???:rockwoot:

Not quite what I meant. I mean that if what we are about to offer doesn't appeal to him, he can go elsewhere. But if what we have does and he already purchased something, then it would be a major pain to change it.

Extended Power: This isnt my first day. What do you think I am stupid? My point is that EDE has junk turbos and I want that to be known in the diesel community. There is nothing that I am doing that should junk that turbo and the turbo that I am thinking of putting on is a ball bearing which typically yields better reliability. I am on here for ideas that help me make a decision, not bull**** remarks from people who think they are smarter than me...

P.S. How long have you been a diesel mechanic for a living??

Extended Power: This isnt my first day. What do you think I am stupid? My point is that EDE has junk turbos and I want that to be known in the diesel community. There is nothing that I am doing that should junk that turbo and the turbo that I am thinking of putting on is a ball bearing which typically yields better reliability. I am on here for ideas that help me make a decision, not bull**** remarks from people who think they are smarter than me...

P.S. How long have you been a diesel mechanic for a living??

No offence, but RCD doesn’t sell ball bearing turbos.

Sorry guys. LIttle drunk and offended by the post last night. My bad. I am not putting an S300 on eith another mistake in information on my part. I am putting a Edge Jammer on which is a Turbonetics Torque Master Stage 1 basically. I made the topic S300 swap because I am planning to use the S300 mounting pedestal from River City Diesel...

Each mounting pedistal (no matter what brand) will only work with the turbochargers that it is designed for.

The mounting points on each turbine housing are different and using one pedistal for another housing most likely won't work.

Well that isn't any good at all. I figured that as long as it would adapt to a t4 turbo that it would work for any T4 style turbo. Thanks for the info...

turbonetics had a pedistal in this month's diesel world and stated that any t4 flange turbo would mount to it and line up with the downpipe with no issues

personally i would never buy any turbonetics product, i have seen a week old 72 turbo grenade on the very first pull.s300 and s400 turbos have been proven to work great in dodges,fords and chevy's

Back